Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Bear bells and bear spray.

Around here bear bells are called "dinner bells".

Don't do that - bears have figured out bells usually mean free camping food.

That's what I have heard, too!! Hikers have snacks in their backpack and drop their stuff when fleeing a bear. Yogi Bear is happy!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is missing the point. Treadmills are as deadly, perhaps more so, than black bears.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/health/goldberg-treadmill-accident-cases/
    Last year, emergency rooms saw 24,000 injuries related to the treadmill, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    "There have been 30 reported deaths associated with treadmills for the 10 year period from 2003-2012 or an average of about three per year," the safety agency says.

Per the links above, only 23 people were killed by black bears in the 80 year period from 1900 to 1980.

So, I think you are safer against a black bear than running on a treadmill.

That should be the point, I think.

# of people in the U.S. who ever use a treadmill vs # of people in the U.S. who ever encounter a black bear in that year?

My guess, the bears are still more dangerous than a treadmill.

Personally, I would not go running where there are likely to be black bears, but that's because I like to zone out when I run and not have to keep a weather eye out for wildlife.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I think this thread is missing the point. Treadmills are as deadly, perhaps more so, than black bears.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/health/goldberg-treadmill-accident-cases/
    Last year, emergency rooms saw 24,000 injuries related to the treadmill, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    "There have been 30 reported deaths associated with treadmills for the 10 year period from 2003-2012 or an average of about three per year," the safety agency says.

Per the links above, only 23 people were killed by black bears in the 80 year period from 1900 to 1980.

So, I think you are safer against a black bear than running on a treadmill.

That should be the point, I think.

# of people in the U.S. who ever use a treadmill vs # of people in the U.S. who ever encounter a black bear in that year?

My guess, the bears are still more dangerous than a treadmill.

Personally, I would not go running where there are likely to be black bears, but that's because I like to zone out when I run and not have to keep a weather eye out for wildlife.

But shouldn't the comparison be the number of people who use a treadmill vs. the number of people who walk/run where they could encounter a bear? Because the question is "Is it safe to walk where bears live?"
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I want to start walking, but where I live there are a lot of black bears and other wild animal hazards. Maybe if I only walk when it is daylight I will feel safer.

Where do you live? I want to live there. Sounds like a dream to me!

Pacific Northwest. They're everywhere. I have probably a dozen bear encounters a year - and I only live an hour from a major city.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me so glad I don't live up north. North Florida is pretty safe, I guess. The most I've ever seen around my area is snakes and a grey fox. (Armadillos and Opossums don't count.). I saw a couple alligators when I was growing up, but you just don't go to the pond where they're sunning and you're fine. I'd be terrified and probably frozen in my tracks if I saw a moose or a bear. Slowly backing away is the only defense mechanism I know.

Not to mention the mosquitos. LOL
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me so glad I don't live up north. North Florida is pretty safe, I guess. The most I've ever seen around my area is snakes and a grey fox. (Armadillos and Opossums don't count.). I saw a couple alligators when I was growing up, but you just don't go to the pond where they're sunning and you're fine. I'd be terrified and probably frozen in my tracks if I saw a moose or a bear. Slowly backing away is the only defense mechanism I know.

The key to hiking in bear country is to always hike with someone slower than you.

I'd be more afraid of Florida snakes than black bear, but I'm willing to admit that it's likely out of my ignorance of the animal's behavior, than any actual threat.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Copperhead snakes here are a real problem for trail running. They have the best camouflage for looking like they are just part of the trail. They don't want to bother with people for the most part, but if you step on one...

Can you spot the copperhead? If not, hope you have a snake bite kit and a good friend with you...
    copper-camo.jpg

All that said, I haven't seen a single one this year. On the EarthRiders forum however a park nearby had someone posting about a copperhead someone encountered (no bite). So, it's not like you can't go trail running here without assuming you will get bitten by a snake. You can be damn sure to get a tick or five. And those damn Oak Mites...where the fark did those demon beasties come from???
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    In the end you have to do what you feel comfortable with, but I face greater risks running in the city than walking in the woods, even in bear country.

Yes, @7lenny7, you do have to worry about the city. A pedestrian is injured or killed by a vehicle every two hours in the United States. Almost 5,000 annual fatalities. Yikes. url="http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/pedestrian_safety/"]source[/url

Of animals or insects the following are more likely to kill you dead in the United States than a bear:
    1) bees (53 deaths each year in the U.S.), 2) dogs (30-35 deaths), 3) cows (22), 4) horses (20), 5) spiders (6.5), and 6) rattlesnakes (5.5). Yep – you are 10 times more likely to die in the U.S. because of a bee sting than a bite from a rattler and 22 times more likely to be killed by a cow than by a shark.

Live in fear there is danger everywhere -- this is more likely to kill you than a bear:
    cow.jpg

Let's not forget: Being obese is definitely more likely to kill you than a bear.
  • CannonWhale
    CannonWhale Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bring a backpack full of doughnuts and have your buddy carry it for you! I live in Maine, Black bears can turn on you pretty fast. It's rare, but real. For the most part if you don't poke them with a stick you will be fine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Copperhead snakes here are a real problem for trail running. They have the best camouflage for looking like they are just part of the trail. They don't want to bother with people for the most part, but if you step on one...

Can you spot the copperhead? If not, hope you have a snake bite kit and a good friend with you...
    copper-camo.jpg

Truth! I live where both black bears and copperheads live. I know 3 people who have been bitten by a copperhead and zero adults that haven't seen one. Less than half of the people I know have seen a bear in the wild and only a handful close enough to be hurt (none were).
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @mwyvr, I actually came across a herd of seemingly wild cows while hiking in the Trinity Alps Wilderness in northern California years ago. As I recall, they practice free range cattle ranching and these cattle looked they hadn't seen humans in some time were on edge. We gave them a WIDE berth as bypassed them to make our way up the trail

On a serious note, my niece was run over by a car while out running one time. My brother said she was close to not making it. She's fully recovered now. Urban dangers are real and unpredictable.
  • Lorelei1974
    Lorelei1974 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Do the Bears drive white work trucks and follow you from the front?

This sounds oddly familiar
    I want to start walking, but where I live there are a lot of black bears and other wild animal hazards. Maybe if I only walk when it is daylight I will feel safer.

Where do you live? I want to live there. Sounds like a dream to me!

Pacific Northwest. They're everywhere. I have probably a dozen bear encounters a year - and I only live an hour from a major city.

Northwest Territories, Canada. Where I live is a few hours north of the Alberta/NWT border.
  • Lorelei1974
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    In the end you have to do what you feel comfortable with, but I face greater risks running in the city than walking in the woods, even in bear country.

Yes, @7lenny7, you do have to worry about the city. A pedestrian is injured or killed by a vehicle every two hours in the United States. Almost 5,000 annual fatalities. Yikes. url="http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/pedestrian_safety/"]source[/url

Of animals or insects the following are more likely to kill you dead in the United States than a bear:
    1) bees (53 deaths each year in the U.S.), 2) dogs (30-35 deaths), 3) cows (22), 4) horses (20), 5) spiders (6.5), and 6) rattlesnakes (5.5). Yep – you are 10 times more likely to die in the U.S. because of a bee sting than a bite from a rattler and 22 times more likely to be killed by a cow than by a shark.

Live in fear there is danger everywhere -- this is more likely to kill you than a bear:
    cow.jpg

Let's not forget: Being obese is definitely more likely to kill you than a bear.

Lmao!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm still hung up on the spider stat.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    I've heard that most snake bites are the result of testosterone and alcohol. Sure, stepping on one could result in a strike but mostly they, like bears, are just going about their business and aren't interested in sinking their teeth into us.
  • Lorelei1974
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Not to mention the mosquitos. LOL

Haha! Very true although, this summer was quite dry so our mosquito population was surprisingly next to nil, which is nice, but very strange for up here.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

We certainly have them in central florida! Here's a story about a woman who left her garage door up and got mauled: http://abcnews.go.com/US/urgent-hunt-black-bear-mauled-woman-garage/story?id=23309124

They're way too accustomed to humans as a food source.

But I was actually hiking by myself in North Carolina and suddenly had the feeling like I was being watched. I heard and saw nothing so I continued (because I was 20 and stupid). When I came back, I saw bear tracks crossing the dirt road.

In any event, I'd rather take my chances with a bear than a crazy person or car. Or both at the same time like this past weekend.
  • Lorelei1974
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Bear bells and bear spray.

Around here bear bells are called "dinner bells".

Don't do that - bears have figured out bells usually mean free camping food.

That's what I have heard, too!! Hikers have snacks in their backpack and drop their stuff when fleeing a bear. Yogi Bear is happy!!

Sounds like a good idea to carry food in backpack, but no! I won't because I am stubborn!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I go past baby bears pretty much every time I ride my bike. Of course, I just mean these:

t6k86h2e0wr9.jpg

so not scary.

On occasion I go past these Bears too:

5zc93yu7zrnr.jpg

although it requires a longer ride.

Until recently my parents lived in Alaska, though, so my dad has had a few bear sightings while out, and has a healthy fear of them (to the point of being rather annoying when I wanted to just go off hiking in some places, but I get it).
  • mwyvr
    Options
    @mwyvr, I actually came across a herd of seemingly wild cows while hiking in the Trinity Alps Wilderness in northern California years ago. As I recall, they practice free range cattle ranching and these cattle looked they hadn't seen humans in some time were on edge. We gave them a WIDE berth as bypassed them to make our way up the trail.

I've been charged by a cow on an idyllic hillside in the French Alps overlooking Switzerland. It had a bell and all and I do have a photo (that's what I was doing... apparently the cow is camera shy). Lived to tell the tale, at least I didn't run over a cliff evading it.

Cows are dangerous! My brother had his gut sliced open by a fence gate lash when a horse squished him. Horses are dangerous! Can't run in the country side, there are cows and horses everywhere man.
    On a serious note, my niece was run over by a car while out running one time. My brother said she was close to not making it. She's fully recovered now. Urban dangers are real and unpredictable.

Oh man... glad to hear she pulled through. Does she still run?

I've had a number of near misses while out running. I and my then two elementary school aged boys was almost sent to oblivion by a clueless driver while walking home from school. And I've been hit twice while cycling, once just a couple blocks away on a side street, and once while doing my regular 75km round trip commute to work.

I still walk, run, and cycle... although I have to say I stopped riding to work after that incident and started running a lot more. It took me a two years before I was again comfortable spending that much time on busy roads.

Meanwhile bears... we have them. I run where they are. I'd never consider giving up trail running because of bear "risk". I like the same views they live in. Gosh, we have bears in the middle of the big city lately.

Cows... I fear cows.