Just started weight lifting: Any solutions for weak grip strength?

Options
Hi Fellow MFPers!

I am on my 4th week of StrongLift 5x5. I always have had a weak grip (I'm only 5 feet tall) and I could tell it is hindering me on my dead lifts (PR of 125lbs! woot!). I can still feel the stiffness in my fingers after 24 hours of yesterday's workout.

What can I do to combat this problem? Should I start doing grip exercises (which ones)? Is there a special type of glove I can use (which ones)? I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it in the 10 pages I searched for it. I hope I'm not alone out there with this weak grip problem.

Thank you so much in advance! I love this website and its community

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Mine got better just from simply going in to do my workouts 3-4 times per week. You're not using gloves, are you? That will not help.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I had this issue, I was advised to either hang on a pullup bar, working my way up second-wise, or to lift and hold a heavy barbell and work on increasing the amount of time I would hold it.
  • KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Is using gloves not recommended?

I am currently using Harbinger gloves for three weeks now since I noticed I was developing calluses
  • _bellator_
    _bellator_ Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I use simple heavy-duty cotton lifting straps. I was getting pre-arthritis from heavy lifting before I started using straps. My grip would give out far before my legs/back. It was very frustrating.

I know lots of people hate on the use of gloves and straps and belts, but I really don't care. I used to lay awake at night with the joints in my hands hurting so badly. Since I started using the straps, my lifts have gone way up, and I have absolutely zero pain in my hands now.
  • KimmyKicksAss
    Options
    Where does one find these lifting straps?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    on the internets
  • _bellator_
    _bellator_ Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Google "cotton lifting straps"...they're cheap and readily available. I hope they help you as much as they've helped me. It takes a few workouts to get used to using them, but it gets very easy with practice :)

1kqw8qj8354l.jpg
  • jfitnessguru
    jfitnessguru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For grip strength i would normally do farmers walk carries with dumbbells or simply train without gloves that will gradually increase your grip strength overtime. From time to time i use chalk or straps when i do DL or rack pulls but i love the feel of the bar without use of chalk or straps. Have patience your grip strength will increase as you continue to DL. Keep crushin those PRs!! :)
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've had operations on my wrists which affect my grip strength so I use straps for deadlifts once I've done my first set without straps. They're rather snazzy!

gdei5w512sla.jpg

If I leave them lying around in the gym none of the boys will touch them for fear of their testosterone levels dropping!
  • KimmyKicksAss
    Options
    Thank you so much guys for all this information! I appreciate all your help
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

You can get basic cotton lifting straps at Wal-Mart for $5.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You can try a mixed grip too. And make sure that you're gripping correctly - the bar contact should be on the lines where finger meets palm, not on the palm squeezing that little pad where callouses develop.
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Your grip strength will never get stronger of you use wraps. Wraps are for weight you literally can't hold. Work your four arms that's where grip strength comes from!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions. You might also want to check out Therapy Putty. Here is a sample: http://www.amazon.com/Therapy-Putty-Resistive-Theraputty-strengths/dp/B001ANL5BY/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1440549875&sr=8-1&keywords=therapy+putty

You can get various strengths and squeeze it in your hands while sitting around, etc.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Honestly avoid straps if you can, give lifters chalk a try. It still allows you to grip without a handy cap. Just helps increase the friction and reduce any moisture on the bar. Grip strength comes with time, work your forearms, hold onto heavy weights for time and even doing pull-ups will help incredibly. Do you do alternating grips when lifting? (Palms facing opposite directions)
  • KimmyKicksAss
    Options
    No I haven't tried alternating grip yet. I see people do it all the time and I haven't researched which hand faces away and which hand faces towards you.

If you're right hand-dominant, does the right hand face away from you? My next deadlift training is this Friday.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Didn't know my height influenced my grip strength! Personally if I'm having a sweaty hand day I use dry hands since it's what I use for pole. Gripping more often will strengthen your grip strength too. You've only been doing this a month. Also might try different grips for dead lifts. There's quite a few different ones, look around and find what works for you. I personally use a hook grip. But I'm not sure it would work great with gloves. Maybe my calluses help my grip strength too :D
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No I haven't tried alternating grip yet. I see people do it all the time and I haven't researched which hand faces away and which hand faces towards you.

If you're right hand-dominant, does the right hand face away from you? My next deadlift training is this Friday.

Hi, try it both ways and see what feels more comfortable. For me my right hand is palm away from me, left hand is palm towards me. I am right handed.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing slow progress in my grip strength whilst doing chin ups and hanging leg raises. I have also noticed that gloves don't make any difference to grip strength. I still get calluses with the gloves but they're not so painful while I'm actually doing the exercise.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Honestly avoid straps if you can, give lifters chalk a try. It still allows you to grip without a handy cap. Just helps increase the friction and reduce any moisture on the bar. Grip strength comes with time, work your forearms, hold onto heavy weights for time and even doing pull-ups will help incredibly. Do you do alternating grips when lifting? (Palms facing opposite directions)

+1 train your grip like anything else. No straps or belt. Chalk and alternating grip will help on those heavy deadlifts.