Who else loses weight for FREE???

Options
Hello,

I'm always getting Beach Body pushed on me on FB and it's annoying....I'm always seeing grabby marketing weight loss ads everywhere! I see success with them, especially Beachbody. I personally have seen friends succeed with it and that is great! BUT what Im super cool about is losing weight and gaining strength physically and mentally ALL FOR FREE! I'm looking for fellow people who don't get sucked into the cash grab of weight loss/ health merch...
FREE is using MFP to track food
Lifting weights at home
Doing cardio at home or outside stuff
No sups, no protein shakes, no gym memberships, no jenny craig, no herbal magic, no beach body etc....

WHO is on the same page as me?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No gym, no fitbit or other techy doodads, no special shakes, no pills. I had a gym membership, but I quit it.

I bought running shoes. That's it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eh, technically I've spent money. I bought a food scale, a HRM and I have a gym membership. Also bought several pairs of shoes for walking and running. Workout clothes too. Oh, and clothes when I drop sizes. So.... yeah...

But MFP! Yes, FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I actually save cash from losing weight. I do alternate day fasting, so my food bill has been cut in half pretty much.

Aside from that - MFP, walks, and I never trust anyone claiming to have a "quick fix" for weight loss. OK, I', pretty sure I fell for some speel about green tea speeding your metabolism up by 4% or whatever, but I still drink it as I needed to lower my coffee intake anyway.

But yep, I'm finding weight loss extremely cheap and easy to do.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    CICO all the way, for me. Free. <3
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Right on people!!!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hmm.... that depends. My workouts include

My jobs-being physically demanding I guess I could say I get paid to exercise.

The dojo where I spend 6 hours a week practicing aikido-It is exercise. I do pay for my membership. But I don't do it to lose weight. In fact I started doing it years before I started working on weight loss.

My food-Well I spend a little more on higher quality things OTOH I eat less which saves me money. I'd guess I probably break even there.

My Apps-MFP is free but I also use a Fitbit. The app is free. The tracker was a gift.Guess that's free too.

I ride my horse. She is definitely not free. Costs a heckuva lot more than any gym membership to keep her. But although riding and caring for her are exercise I don't do them to lose weight.

No fad diets, no gym memberships. Just CICO based on my individual needs.

I don't know if I'd call it free or not free. I think it's just the set of tools that works best for me to be successful.

Anyway. Does it really matter? So some people do it without all of the gadgets and the trendy diets, gym clothes and memberships. Some people need those tools to be successful. Some don't.

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Doing it free over here. My only investment was a pair of Brookes running shoes. My brother bought me a jogging stroller for Christmas. I do use the smartphone my dad gave me to track my exercise when I go walk/jog, but it has no service.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a new pair of Asics and my sister got me a digital scale for my birthday last year (my request), but other than that, it's free! I will likely spring for a gym membership in the winter if I get snowbound again.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Leka1000 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm always getting Beach Body pushed on me on FB and it's annoying....I'm always seeing grabby marketing weight loss ads everywhere! I see success with them, especially Beachbody. I personally have seen friends succeed with it and that is great! BUT what Im super cool about is losing weight and gaining strength physically and mentally ALL FOR FREE! I'm looking for fellow people who don't get sucked into the cash grab of weight loss/ health merch...
    Lifting weights at home
    No sups, no protein shakes, no gym memberships, no jenny craig, no herbal magic, no beach body etc....

I'd love to do this but a power cage and weight set would cost a lot of money and Craigslist hasn't been very helpful. :(

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm all for free when I can get it, but am happy to spend money to help me attain my goals (gym membership, tri coach, gear).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    meh...i love my gym and my coach and all of the awesome equipment at my disposal there. without my coach i wouldn't be where i am with my Oly lifts either.

my bike also cost me a little chunk of change and i'm getting ready to upgrade in the fall...so not free.

i would agree that the beach body stuff and other fad diet/nutrition/fitness marketing stuff is not necessary...but I personally don't lump that stuff in with being a gym member so you can lift some heavy weights or spending money on your general fitness.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    My gym membership is free because my insurance pays for it and my coach is priceless!!! Other than my addiction to gym clothes...............it's all FREE!!!!
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I buy vegan protein shakes but that's it. I enjoy them, they are easy to have every morning, so I do it. Besides that, freeeee!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake for breakfast simply because its fast and easy to drink while I'm driving to work. But I don't think your breakfast is free either.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit from my sisters for my birthday, but the steps I take are free!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Leka1000 wrote: »
    Hello,

Lifting weights at home

Did you get your weights for free? Lucky you.

I've bought some Beachbody programs and actually really enjoy some of it.. and the gym is a necessity for me as a mom of small children who lives in an area where it's too hot or too cold 9 months a year. And I use protein powder because I enjoy the sweet tasty protein boost in my yogurt and oatmeal.

I don't think I've been stuck in the 'cash grab of weight loss' one bit.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    My gym membership is cheap but not free, apart from that my exercise apps are free, I am eating better, feeling better but considering buying a new pair of trainers so I can take my running from the treadmill to outside, but that I consider an investment in my health.

However!!!! And this is a big one, my new and smaller size clothes are costing me a fortune!!! :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    YouTube free workouts!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've spent a lot of money while losing weight, mostly on new clothes. I've put together a home gym with mostly secondhand equipment so it was less costly than it could have been. But I've also saved on food and hopefully will avoid certain future medical bills.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I use MFP and all that cash I save by not going to WW or doing Herbalife I use on all my fruit and veggies.
    MFP has been great to my whole family.
    I have learnt so much about food.
    I have change what I cook and bake. We are eating more of the foods that are healthier for us and less of the chips, nuggets and pies.

I am very greatFull to MFP.