Success by eating what you want???????

Hello everyone, so I have one simple question. Is it possible to loose weight and still eat what you want but in a smaller portion? If so would you please share your success story with me. I have lost 7lbs so far following this method of eating what I want and exercising daily, just doing it all in smaller portion sizes. Any help you awesome people can give me would be appreciated and I love pics.....:)

Replies

• amynb524
    amynb524 Posts: 73 Member
    edited August 2015
    I've lost 73 since January by doing this!

As long as I stay in my calorie budget, I eat what I want. I don't go crazy and eat all 1500 calories in junk, but I don't deprive myself
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    100 pounds lost doing it. I recently posted a "Success Story" titled "How to lose 100 pounds" you can check out if you like. :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Yup. I eat the foods I like and don't eat foods I don't like. I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% of my calories from treat foods. I get my nutrition but don't feel deprived.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Hello everyone, so I have one simple question. Is it possible to loose weight and still eat what you want but in a smaller portion? If so would you please share your success story with me. I have lost 7lbs so far following this method of eating what I want and exercising daily, just doing it all in smaller portion sizes. Any help you awesome people can give me would be appreciated and I love pics.....:)

That's pretty much how it works. Buy a food scale, weigh all your solid foods, eat the foods you like in a calorie deficit and you lose weight.
    Read the first post in this thread for more information:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Of course it's possible. I'm not one for posting pics of myself (just my food...) on the forums, but the only thing I've changed is my portion sizes, how how much oil/butter I cook with, and I've lost in excess of 45kg/100lb over the last year.

As an example, for lunch I used to bring in containers that were almost 2L in capacity to hold all my food. Now I use a 500mL - 700mL one, and even then I don't finish it all some days.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited August 2015
    Absolutely :drinker:

I don't have many full body pics of me at my heaviest. But here's what I do have:

Closest to a full body at heaviest:
    r59l7ty3hw5v.jpg

Face comparison:
    a10ff9mc2dp9.jpg

And here is a comparison from shortly after joining MFP to earlier this month:
    6i9dd6jbtpdj.jpg

• Asallings323
    Asallings323 Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you all for your responses so far. I was just getting so tired of being told don't eat this or that. FRUSTRATING!!! You ladies are awesome.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Thank you all for your responses so far. I was just getting so tired of being told don't eat this or that. FRUSTRATING!!! You ladies are awesome.

@Asallings323 Here at MFP, we don't listen to those 'don't eat this or that' people. We measure and eat/drink what we want(including alcohol! :grin: ) and honestly log it and hold ourselves accountable.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Oh hell yes.
    82 days in, 20lbs down, had a chocolate twist danish pastry for breakfast just this morning :) Generally I'm all high taste, low size portions - I'd rather have a sliver of something delicious than a slab of something meh.
  • Reiss104
    Reiss104 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    :D Oh my goodness, so glad I found this thread!

I lost 43lbs once by doing this. I ate 1 pizza slice instead of 2, a small bar of chocolate instead of the bigger one. I threw in a multivitamin and a bit of fibre each day. Eventhough my diary didnt look super nutritious, my weight was the best it had be in 10 years!!.... And then I got that 'healthy food' guilt thing and I decided to cut back on carbs and processed foods, eat more green stuff etc,,, It totally knocked me off and lasted all of 3 days and ended up going crazy on the junk food. I kept trying to go back to 'clean eating' but kept failing. My weight has yo yo'd around since then and Im out of shape now!

Time to go back to what is realistic and actually works!----> A little of what you love does you good! ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    11094757_860714323977351_991576764952561186_n_zpsyfzzyxgo.jpg
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    I find I longer "want" to eat things like bacon, white bread, sausages etc. I also find that I have far more willpower to resist the things I do want like cakes and biscuits. As long as you measure you will succeed.

What gets measured, gets done.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Weightloss is a math problem, calories in vs calories out...You can eat as many snickers and ice creams you want as long as your body burns more calories than you put in. If I want something I eat it, just be sure its in moderation and be prepared to kick some *kitten* at the gym to torch those extra calories
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    I lost over 40 pounds eating what I wanted with minimal exercising. I did notice that what I wanted changed quite a bit though. When I first started I ate a lot of fast food, fried foods, prepackaged stuff. After a while I started wanting foods that would fill me up and keep me full longer so I started cooking a lot more and found a love for Brussels spouts. Then when I started lifting, I found out how little protein I had in my diet so I wanted to eat more protein to help performance.

So while I do tend to eat much healthier now then I did before, I would never had gotten to where I am today if I hadn't started losing weight with eating all the foods I loved when I was fat!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Weight loss is done with a calorie deficit.. you can technically eat anything to do this. It may not be the healthiest method to do it, but yes it can be done.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    ABSOLUTELY!!! I've lost almost 65 pounds since mid-January by eating pretty much what I want, but just in smaller quantities and making better choices. For example, last night I had an *awesome* cupcake from a local bakery, and not a low-fat, low-cal, low-taste piece of cardboard one. It fit in my calorie intake for the day, so I had it. It's all calories in vs. calories out :smiley:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    As so many have pointed out, it's entirely possible. You'll lose weight as long as your calorie intake is lower than your calorie needs, regardless of what you eat.

I take an approach that's more moderated than just "eat whatever I want;" most of my food is planned out to help me reach a certain level of fats, carbs, and proteins (along with meeting my micronutrient needs) while staying within a calorie goal. Generally, this means I eat about 80-90% nutrient-dense foods (lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, etc.) and then work in some food I enjoy that does not have as much nutritional value.

ETA: I'm down 40+ pounds from my heaviest weight.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Since February 2014 I've lost 174 pounds doing this.
  • Asallings323
    Asallings323 Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you all so much on the helpful advice. I love hearing all of your success stories. I know now that I will be ok doing what I am doing and need to push out all the negative stuff I have been told. I like to eat foods that work for me, not someone else's idea of what I need to eat.Exercising is where I seem to thrive anyways , it is so relaxing for me to just get out there and work my butt off.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!