useful tips for first time runner....

Options
Hola!!! Hope everyone is doing great....
I need a some advice....
till now i am burning calories just by walking and bicycling.... i am thinking of running now.... any tips that would be useful for a first time runner?????

Replies

• kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You might take a look at Couch to 25K running app from Zen Labs. I love it! Best of luck and have fun :smiley:
  • jitender88
    jitender88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You might take a look at Couch to 25K running app from Zen Labs. I love it! Best of luck and have fun :smiley:

Hi Kodibear123.... thnanks a ton.... can you also please advice on the do's and dont's of running too???
    and can i please add you too to my friend list???
  • juliusgiron
    juliusgiron Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1. Small strides.
    2. Try this pattern for a start
    warm up for about 300-400m (walk)
    Or ideally once you sweat already it means your ready.

Run (300-400m)
    Walk (200m)
    x6 (do that pattern for 6x)

You'll probably log 3-3.5kms
    That should gradually introduce you to running without getting a high chance of being injured.
  • jitender88
    Options
    1. Small strides.
    2. Try this pattern for a start
    warm up for about 300-400m (walk)
    Or ideally once you sweat already it means your ready.

Run (300-400m)
    Walk (200m)
    x6 (do that pattern for 6x)

You'll probably log 3-3.5kms
    That should gradually introduce you to running without getting a high chance of being injured.

that's a nice process explained... thanks a lot.... :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Start slow. You'll think you're already going slow but go slower yet.
    Get good shoes. Go to a Running Store with an old pair of sneakers and get fit properly.
    Get wicking socks.
    Use C25K or some other running app. These will help you gain your stamina without injury.
    Don't run consecutive days for awhile; give yourself a rest day between workouts.
    Run slower. (can't say that enough)

Welcome to the world of running!
  • jitender88
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Get good shoes. Go to a Running Store with an old pair of sneakers and get fit properly.
    Get wicking socks.
    Use C25K or some other running app. These will help you gain your stamina without injury.
    Don't run consecutive days for awhile; give yourself a rest day between workouts.

Welcome to the world of running!

i am slow glad that i asked for help... so many have advised that run slow... i totally had the wrong idea till today morning.. i thought running means i have to be fast.. infact i wanted to start running last month itself but this wrong conception held me back... thanks a ton for your advice :)
  • SimonT181
    SimonT181 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I am doing C25K and it has been great to get in to running on week 3 day 3. When you say run slow I am running 6 and walking 3 is that too fast. On rest days can I just do walking plans ?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Run slow. You should be able to converse when you're doing easy runs. C25k is good, for keeping you on track if you want to gain endurance. Shin splints are likely- don't up your mileage too quickly and take rest days with icing as needed. Get good shoes (I recommend a store that will analyze your stride and foot strike and recommend appropriate shoes).
  • PaytraB
    Options
    SimonT181 wrote: »
    I am doing C25K and it has been great to get in to running on week 3 day 3. When you say run slow I am running 6 and walking 3 is that too fast. On rest days can I just do walking plans ?

Its individual for everyone. When I was training, I walked at about 4.5K/hr and ran about 5K/hr. That increased to about 5.7K/hr by the end on good days.
    Don't worry about the numbers or speed; just worry about making it through each day's running session. Slow down as much as you need to to make it happen. The mantra I have running through my head when I feel "too tired" to keep running is "slow down; don't stop". It really helps to slow down. After a couple of minutes of running slower, I feel rested and can speed up again if I want to.
    Pace yourself, be aware of how your body is reacting and adjust your speed accordingly. Some days you'll run faster and feel great; others require a slower speed.
    Keep on running. You'll find what works for you.
  • jitender88
    Options
    SimonT181 wrote: »

Its individual for everyone. When I was training, I walked at about 4.5K/hr and ran about 5K/hr. That increased to about 5.7K/hr by the end on good days.
    Don't worry about the numbers or speed; just worry about making it through each day's running session. Slow down as much as you need to to make it happen. The mantra I have running through my head when I feel "too tired" to keep running is "slow down; don't stop". It really helps to slow down. After a couple of minutes of running slower, I feel rested and can speed up again if I want to.
    Pace yourself, be aware of how your body is reacting and adjust your speed accordingly. Some days you'll run faster and feel great; others require a slower speed.
    Keep on running. You'll find what works for you.

i am really sorry to bug you with so many questions one after the other....... but i am in a bit of confusion.. i generally walk during morning and i cover 5 kilometers in 1 hour... u have commented that 5k/hr used to be your running speed....so what should be my running speed when i start...???? coz definitely it is going to be higher than my walking speed right?
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Not necessarily. It's actually possible to run slower than you walk. Sounds impossible, right?, but it's not.
    The test is to speak a sentence aloud while you are running. If you have to pant and puff it out, you're running too fast. If you can speak it comfortably, you're going at the right pace.
    You will feel as if you are going too slow but you are not and you may be going too fast. The "talk test" is a good way of determining if you're going too fast or slow. Don't worry about the actual numbers (Kms/hr); they don't matter right now.
    Let us know how you do on your next run. Try the talk test and slow down as required. You'll be surprised at the progress you'll make over the next few weeks.
  • half12345
    half12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Shoes shoes shoes. That's my number one tip. Get fitted for proper shoes.

Check out Hal Higdons website. He's old as dirt and has run a million marathons. Great advice for newbies to know it alls. Even if you are not planning on running a race, check out his 5k or 10k training program. It will give you some good ideas on where to start and also offer some realistic expectations. Good luck!
  • jitender88
    Options
    Not necessarily. It's actually possible to run slower than you walk. Sounds impossible, right?, but it's not.
    The test is to speak a sentence aloud while you are running. If you have to pant and puff it out, you're running too fast. If you can speak it comfortably, you're going at the right pace.
    You will feel as if you are going too slow but you are not and you may be going too fast. The "talk test" is a good way of determining if you're going too fast or slow. Don't worry about the actual numbers (Kms/hr); they don't matter right now.
    Let us know how you do on your next run. Try the talk test and slow down as required. You'll be surprised at the progress you'll make over the next few weeks.

mam, u are a genius.... i just came back from my walk.... i was able to say sentences clearly when i was walking at 5kmph... just to try i started running at the same speed as i was walking and couldnt complete any sentence without huffing or puffing... i need to slow down... thanks a lot... :) i will get my shoes today evening (if it stops raining and i am able to go to the shop).. and share my first run results with you... again, thanks a lot :)
  • jitender88
    Options
    half12345 wrote: »
    Shoes shoes shoes. That's my number one tip. Get fitted for proper shoes.

Check out Hal Higdons website. He's old as dirt and has run a million marathons. Great advice for newbies to know it alls. Even if you are not planning on running a race, check out his 5k or 10k training program. It will give you some good ideas on where to start and also offer some realistic expectations. Good luck!

thanks a lot half12345 :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @jitender88 Try this link to a post that probably covers everything that you have asked about. Start on page 1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1