I sweat so much

Options
Does anyone sweat even when they don't work out? I sweat a hell of a lot. I'm worried it could be serious or something. The weather in the UK has been warm but I'm always dripping wet lol Might be to do with my weight, so will it get better once i lose it?

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot too. Soon as I get warm at all I sweat. I am one of those people dripping sweat during the warm up. I am the girl asking to turn the fan on.

I agree if you are sweating when you are not hot, get checked. There are things that can cause that. However, there are people who are just naturally hot or sweat a lot. I will drip, I will sweat getting ready in the morning, it is not fun.

• staceyvoss879
    staceyvoss879 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sweat a lot (okay, a ridiculous amount) but I relate that to the meds I take for my depression. I take Prozac and Wellbutrin and they both increase sweating. I just accept it as a trade off for being able to live and try to bring a towel with me when I work out and don't go for super fancy hairstyles or makeup.

Almost all antidepressants cause an increase in sweating.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat that much normally, but any kind of physical activity...even just walking alot and I'm like drenched. I'm a total head sweater too. It's like every sweat gland in my body is in my scalp. It's kinda gross.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Might be to do with my weight, so will it get better once i lose it?

Excessive sweating under not too strenuous or warm circumstances is not uncommon for those who are significantly overweight. Your body has to work a bit harder to cool itself.

Regardless of weight, you shouldn't be sweating profusely if it isn't particularly warm and you are merely sitting at rest. If you find this happening to you under such conditions, you should get checked out as this could be an indicator of other problems that need looking at.

Exercise induced sweat is another thing altogether. Some - regardless of weight - sweat more. I'm like that. When I was heavy I'd be drenched; I'm now quite fit and still get drenched when I run until the temperature really drops.

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    There is a condition called hyperhydrosis meaning excess sweat. Anxiety can play a factor as well. I was certain both caused my excessive sweating for years and years. I used to carry a hankie everywhere I went mopping my face.

60 pounds lighter I am amazed how much better it is! Almost "normal" I would say.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm basically covered in a thin dew 24/7. When I work out, it becomes a safety hazard because I'm literally dripping all over the floor. If I get upset, my awesome evolutionary response is to get really hot and sweaty. Presumably to gross out any potential predators/threats.

*fellas*
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I sweat a LOT when working out. I added vitamin D supplements and it has helped a little.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I also am a big sweater! When I'm working out on the treadmill, I will have little pools of sweat below me, where it has dripped down my forearms and off my elbows. I feel absolutely disgusting after that. I also sweat without working out, especially in summer. Some days, just walking from my apartment door to my car will have my neckline and back dripping. I try to drink lots of water to compensate. I thought after losing 78 pounds I would stop sweating so much, but nope, it hasn't abated. :(
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the same experience. I can stand in the sun and start sweating without doing anything. I'm the type of person that is usually always warm even in the winter. People have said I actually "radiate" heat sometimes haha, I just embrace it though. Plus when I'm working out I sweat profusely and it looks like I'm working really really hard
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, and at 120lb it isn't my weight. I just sweat a lot! Even a light walk in warmish weather and I'm sweating like crazy. I have just bought some extra-strength deodorant from Boots and that is helping, but obviously that's localised.

If you haven't already, I would recommend getting some proper moisture-wicking sports clothing as that helps too. And generally take a sweat towel to the gym if you go, to save the embarrassing sweat patches on the equipment!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    As I've lost weight my sweating has gotten better but I still sweat A LOT. One time I was working out and someone asked me if I had just taken a shower because I was soaked.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Ditto! I sweat even when having a meal; soup is the worst. Doesn't matter much what the temperature is outside. I can be soaked skiing/snowboarding; I'm not that good, stay on the bunny slopes, and can only go sideways boarding. Steam can be seen coming off my head. I can also sweat after taking cold shower and not because of after a workout.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I sweat a real lot; I did even when I was thinner (but I don't think as much as I do now). So I assume it will get better as you lose weight, but it may not.
    If you think your sweating is unusual (like sweating profusely when at rest in a relatively cool environment), you may want to see a doctor about it.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    As I've lost weight my sweating has gotten better but I still sweat A LOT. One time I was working out and someone asked me if I had just taken a shower because I was soaked.

A couple of months ago a kid coming down a hiking trail remarked to me "wow you sure are sweaty" to which I responded "yes I am!".

Charming child. He was walking down hill. I was running. Up hill. Fast.

But yeah, no matter how fit I am, I'm likely to be the sweatiest one out there on the trail. I'm ok with that. Everyone makes way for me LOL!

• caaaath
    caaaath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I bought an antiperspirant from ASDA called Perspirex which really helps with underarm sweat. You apply it at night, once a week or so and then I also use regular deodorant during the day. Apparently the company do lotions and things too for sweaty hands but I've not tried them. Tempted though, as I too have always been super sweaty since I was a teenager.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've always been a heavy sweater, even before I gained weight, so I don't expect it to be reduced now that I've lost a lot of weight. Annoying, but I credit my sweating for the fact that I have great skin and very rarely get a zit.

Last night I weighed myself before and after my 9090 minute run... I lost 4.5 pounds in that time, most of it sweat.

• Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am the same and again - it's not my weight or fitness. My head gets sweaty to dripping point and when I spin, I tend to sweat arms and back. For some reason, my legs remain relatively dry but I agree with the skin quality! The skin on my face, back and arms is lovely and stays spot free.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I've read it's a genetics thing
    my mom gets red faced and my dad is a sweaty person
    I got both. I look like I'm about ready to pass out half the time
  • AllyR612
    AllyR612 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I've read it's a genetics thing
    my mom gets red faced and my dad is a sweaty person
    I got both. I look like I'm about ready to pass out half the time

I agree with this. My dad is extremely sweaty and has passed it on to me and my brother. Unfortunately my daughter has seemed to inherit this trait. :/