first time runner.....

Options
Hola!!! Hope everyone is doing great....
I need a some advice....
till now i am burning calories just by walking and bicycling.... i am thinking of running now.... any tips that would be useful for a first time runner?????

also need friends who can motivate me... :)

Replies

• lauraseils
    lauraseils Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently started with the couch to 5k app and it's going well. I have a 10k in a couple of months and, being over 17st, am not a natural runner but it building it up gradually has been helpful! Good luck with your running!
  • goofygirl67
    goofygirl67 Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes, I've heard the Couch to 5k app is great, also look at this web-site:

www.toofattorun.co.uk

- there are some really good tips!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am using 5k runner another running app, almost completed week 3 and loving the app. Makes it so much easier for us novices to get started.
  • taytayb36
    taytayb36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The 10 percent rule! That is only increase your mileage each week by ten percent. I've been a runner for 6 years, if you don't follow this rule injury will follow! But other then, have fun and explore when running!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    get the right shoes. I went to a running store and was fitted for a pair that worked for my gait.

I used the c210k from zen labs, and moved on to the 10k version

my biggest advice, is to start slow and do not overdo it
  • jitender88
    jitender88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    get the right shoes. I went to a running store and was fitted for a pair that worked for my gait.

I used the c210k from zen labs, and moved on to the 10k version

my biggest advice, is to start slow and do not overdo it

Hi Moyer.... thanks a lot... any tips on which brand shoes are generally better for running purpose?
  • jitender88
    Options
    taytayb36 wrote: »
    The 10 percent rule! That is only increase your mileage each week by ten percent. I've been a runner for 6 years, if you don't follow this rule injury will follow! But other then, have fun and explore when running!

thanks a lot taytayb36.. :)
  • jitender88
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I am using 5k runner another running app, almost completed week 3 and loving the app. Makes it so much easier for us novices to get started.
    lauraseils wrote: »
    I recently started with the couch to 5k app and it's going well. I have a 10k in a couple of months and, being over 17st, am not a natural runner but it building it up gradually has been helpful! Good luck with your running!

thanks a lot Bonny132 and lauraseils for the app suggestions :)
  • jitender88
    Options
    Yes, I've heard the Couch to 5k app is great, also look at this web-site:

www.toofattorun.co.uk

- there are some really good tips!

thanks for the site goofygirl :) i just checked it out... quite helpful it is... thanks again :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm reposting my comment from your other thread for those who might find it useful here. There's a really good post to get you started that's included in the Fitness and Exercise "must reads" post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • Madmadz77
    Madmadz77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Start by alternating running and walking. If you run 3 times a week, for the first week run a minutes walk 2 minutes for 6 times. Every week, add a minute running.

When you get to 10 minutes straight, you can stop the walking.

Try to run at a pace where you can keep talking at the same time. It will be slow at first but it wont discourage you.

Try to make it fun, not torture...
  • jitender88
    Options
    Madmadz77 wrote: »
    Start by alternating running and walking. If you run 3 times a week, for the first week run a minutes walk 2 minutes for 6 times. Every week, add a minute running.

When you get to 10 minutes straight, you can stop the walking.

Try to run at a pace where you can keep talking at the same time. It will be slow at first but it wont discourage you.

Try to make it fun, not torture...

i liked "try to make it fun, not torture... " .. thanks a ton :)