tell me what you know!!!

Options
Hi all,

I have 13lbs left to lose and I would really appreciate you telling me what to eat (and not to lol) to acheive my goal. So food wise, tell me what you know.

Exercise wise, I have to under 3yr olds so I have an hour at bedtime to commit to exercise. I have an exercise bike and a kettlebell (homebased exercise ideas please).

Im just looking for what works, obviously effort, but I need guidance. I know too much and know nothing at the same time lol.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Go for a run around the block. The kids will never know...

Eat anything you want. Specific diets are rubbish. Just use common sense in amounts of fatty/calorific foods consumed. Use the MFP calorie counter for guidance.

Exercise bike is good. Cardio is best for calorie burning. If you like it then why not push yourself to go faster over time and you will lose more calories per workout.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I know you can lose a ton of weight from just jogging on the street.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,425 Member
    Options
    Your diet will have the biggest effect on what you eat. Exercise will affect how you look.

You don't need to do anything special in terms of what you eat other than weigh/measure your food (most of us started how probably a bit generous with what a serving of something is and it can be eye opening!), log every single thing that goes in your mouth including that french fry you snagged off your kids plate. You will discover that some foods might taste good but they just aren't worth the calorie bomb (I'm speaking to that doughnut in the kitchen my husband bought that keeps calling my name right now!).

Don't try to change everything the first day. It's very easy to burn out that way.

Cardio will burn more calories (so you can eat more-which I like a lot) but lifting, even if it's just body weight exercises, will improve how you look.

The best quote I read on here was "I do cardio to drink wine, I lift so I look good while I'm drinking that wine".
  • sarnecka
    sarnecka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yay for you, taking care of yourself when you have two little ones under 3! Anything you do earns you a gold medal.
    I've been reading a book called "Beat Overeating Now" by an endocrinologist, about hormones and appetite and weight loss… he recommends eating all the fresh fruit and veg you can ("The more you eat, the more weight you lose!") and lots of lean protein, e.g., nonfat Greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, chicken and turkey breast, fish, beans/chickpeas/lentils . . . Avoid white bread, white sugar, white rice, etc. and have whole grains instead. Nothing surprising I guess, but I am finding the book helpful/inspiring. I've been concentrating on eating more fruits and veggies in particular, and they really do taste good and fill you up with very few calories. My favorite things for convenience lately are (1) Red grapefruit sections that you can buy in a big, squarish plastic bottle, packed in very light syrup . . . they're delicious and zero preparation. (2) Acorn squash or other winter squash made in the microwave. So easy! Just put a paper towel down in the microwave and plop the whole squash (uncut, just like you bought it) on the paper towel, and nuke it on high until the skin is tender and you can pierce it with a knife. Then cut it open and scoop out the flesh to eat with butter, brown sugar, salt and pepper. (3) Apples. I bought one of those cutter things that sort of looks like a wagon wheel, and now I can core and slice the apple with one motion. 2 seconds flat. So I eat a lot more apples, and I set out bowls of apple wedges for my kids a lot. (It's as easy as opening a box of crackers.) I hope some of those ideas are helpful! Good luck!
  • nicnocz82
    nicnocz82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the good info. Ill get this last bit shifted. I lost my first 42 lbs fairly consistently over 8 months, so I know if I set my mind to it I can get this done. And ive just realised its 15lbs to my goal not 13 lol, still not to far away though, ill track my food intake. Thanks again.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have 13lbs left to lose and I would really appreciate you telling me what to eat (and not to lol) to acheive my goal. So food wise, tell me what you know.

Exercise wise, I have to under 3yr olds so I have an hour at bedtime to commit to exercise. I have an exercise bike and a kettlebell (homebased exercise ideas please).

Im just looking for what works, obviously effort, but I need guidance. I know too much and know nothing at the same time lol.

Eat what you enjoy, in moderation. That's what I did and lost over 50lbs and am now maintaining. There's no magical 'good' or 'bad' foods that will speed up or stall weight loss. Stick within your calorie allotment, watch portion sizes and you'll succeed :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yeh, eat and drink what you like but the energy deficit is king, no shortcuts, no magic, it's simple but not easy for most.

I KNOW it starts in my head. My mindset. My fundamental being.

I AM the sort of person that will choose better nutritional choices.

I ABSOLUTELY AM the kind of person that will walk past train stations to get more exercise on the way to home in on a working week day.

I am also the kind of person that will let it all slide regularly.

Jeez, I love being me. :)
  • nicnocz82
    Options
    Thanks for all these tips!
  • dianamaine
    dianamaine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi! A great video if you don't know about it is the Gillian Michael 30 Day shred! It take s20 minutes and you only need some small hand weights. I do it in my living room but you only need a television, DVD player and small area in your home! It is great...I have done 3 days of lvl1 and can already feel a massive difference. I highly recommend it for when you have only a little bit of time and don't want to go anywhere! Good luck!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    dianamaine wrote: »
    Hi! A great video if you don't know about it is the Gillian Michael 30 Day shred! It take s20 minutes and you only need some small hand weights. I do it in my living room but you only need a television, DVD player and small area in your home! It is great...I have done 3 days of lvl1 and can already feel a massive difference. I highly recommend it for when you have only a little bit of time and don't want to go anywhere! Good luck!

You are responding to a thread from August. . . .2013. I think the OP got the answers.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Barring medical conditions, there is no reason to avoid any foods. So bring on the white bread, white rice and white sugar!

Stay under your calorie goal. Exercise will earn you some more calories to work with. Stay the course and lose your weight steadily - don't rush.
  • nicnocz82
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Barring medical conditions, there is no reason to avoid any foods. So bring on the white bread, white rice and white sugar!

Stay under your calorie goal. Exercise will earn you some more calories to work with. Stay the course and lose your weight steadily - don't rush.

Great response!