Struggling with fat loss

Options
Really badly struggling, feel tired and constantly hungry as soon as I wake up and it's killing my focus at the gym and with everything else. I'm currently 146 lbs/5'5 ft/32 years old/30.5 inch waist but can't stick with any fat loss macros long enough to make any further progress. And it's really annoying me because I feel really uncomfortable at this weight.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're trying to eat too little. How many calories are you attempting to eat? What rate of loss did you set MFP to (2lbs/week, 1lb/week or 0.5lbs/week)? How accurately do you track your calories?
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What do your gym workouts look like? And what weight are you aiming for..? 146 for a 5'5" man seems to be appropriate, unless I'm mistaken.
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    are you worrying about your macros too much? As long as you're eating fewer calories than you're expending, and getting enough protein to enable your body to repair itself, your macros can move to what you need.

Some people feel hungry all day if they eat high carbs, low fat. Some people are the opposite. The main reason diets like Keto work for some people is because those people eating high fat, low carb don't feel the need to eat as much to be satisfied.

If you're feeling hungry all the time, or end up going over on one macro to ensure you get enough of another, then its time to figure out what ratio works for you.. or even to give up on monitoring the ratio.

Calories In vs Calories out is the main component of weight loss (there's other hormonal factors, but they're minor in the face of the pure physics of CICO). Mixing up macro ratios for HCLF, LCHF, etc, makes it easier for you and me to not feel miserable while being under our calorie limit
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also interested to know your goal. You are pretty trim for a male already. What weight are you aiming for? How much have you set MFP to lose per week? What is your current calorie goal? Are you eating back any exercise calories?

I have a feeling recomp might be a better option.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What do you mean "fat loss macros"?

I would suggest a goal of losing 0.5lbs/week, and as long as you get 110+grams of protein per day don't worry about the other macros that much. play around with the amount of fat and carbs to see how you feel the best with.
  • FunSizedKJ
    Options
    The reason I ask what your workouts look like is that you may need to reevaluate if what you're doing is going to give you the body you want. Many times people focus on kicking up the cardio in the attempt to burn "more" calories. It might be a situation where you may want to dial that back and focus on lifting heavy. 146 will look way different on someone with higher muscle mass than on someone without it. Just a thought :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your BMI puts you in the normal weight range, whats your target.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Also interested to know your goal. You are pretty trim for a male already. What weight are you aiming for? How much have you set MFP to lose per week? What is your current calorie goal? Are you eating back any exercise calories?

I don't agree. In my profile pic I am 5'6" 140lbs, he is 1" shorter and 6lbs heavier, there is def room for him to lose weight/fat. At 5'5" 146 he is near the top end of normal range for BMI.
  • erickirb
    Options
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »
    The reason I ask what your workouts look like is that you may need to reevaluate if what you're doing is going to give you the body you want. Many times people focus on kicking up the cardio in the attempt to burn "more" calories. It might be a situation where you may want to dial that back and focus on lifting heavy. 146 will look way different on someone with higher muscle mass than on someone without it. Just a thought :)

I agree here. OP should have a small deficit and take part in a progressive heavy lifting strength training program.
  • hiitsscott
    hiitsscott Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I should have offered up more information, apologies. I switch my macros on training and rest days from 190g carbs/143g protein/63g fat to 143g carbs/143g protein/83g fat. I usually lift weights four/five times a week, but it's three times this week due to time constraints. I feel four days a week is going to be better for me in future so will probably stick with that. My cardio is usually about 10-15 minutes of intervals on an exercise bike after my weight sessions, they usually last about 45-60 minutes. As @erickirb says above, I feel and look like I'm at the upper end of where I should be. I am not obsessed with seeing my abs, but I want to be lean but currently whilst my stomach is flat, there's still a bit which 'hangs out' over my pants which makes me feel uncomfortable. It is the last remaining evidence of my days of being overweight so it shouldn't be there and I am not done until it has gone in my mind. If I've missed anything out, please let me know. Thank you.
  • FunSizedKJ
    Options
    I completely understand what you're saying, for sure. Before I started sucking at life and gaining all my weight back, I was in a similar position. I know when I was working out with a trainer, they suggested a 40/40/20 for macros and 1500 calories. What is your calorie intake for the macros you posted above? Can you elaborate more on what your weight lifting routine is (how long, how many sets/reps, structure and split)? If you're doing 45-60 minutes of cardio after your sets, this could be the problem. You could very well be gassing yourself out...
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Okay, fat loss comes down to calories, how much are you consuming per day? Are you eating back exercise calories and if so how are you calculating the burns? What do you have MFP set to lose per week? Do you weigh and measure all of your food?

You're doing the right things body composition wise so this comes down to diet.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I don't agree. In my profile pic I am 5'6" 140lbs, he is 1" shorter and 6lbs heavier, there is def room for him to lose weight/fat. At 5'5" 146 he is near the top end of normal range for BMI.

I didn't say there wasn't room, I was just curious what the aim was when already in a healthy range. He could very easily be "skinny fat". As it goes he's replied and that seems to not be the case.

I've asked a few more questions but I'm still erring on the side of recomp if he's finding himself hungry at current goals. It may take longer but he'll still get the results without constantly battling hunger pangs.
  • hiitsscott
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sorry, I meant weight sessions are 45-60 minutes, cardio is about 15 minutes afterward. Calories are about 1900 a day and yeah, I weigh, measure everything. My scales broke once so I was all set to never eat again until I got a new one. Thankfully argos was open that day or I'd have ended up quite hangry. I don't eat back exercise calories, I just enter the number of workouts per week and how long they last on here and go with the calories given to lose 0.5 lbs a week. I should point out my problem isn't with wondering why weight isn't coming off. Most of the time it does, but then sometimes the hunger becomes too much and I eat more and that week I'm back to 146 lbs. So my problem is I just can no longer stick to a fat loss plan for long enough to get the results I want. Which is irritating because in 2012 I got down from 15 stone to less than 10, put on some muscle in 2013 and now I've been yo-yo'ing between 10 stone 2 lbs and 10 stone 10 lbs ever since. Edit: I would class myself as skinny fat, in the right light and right time of day I can just make out the top of my abs in the mirror. But I'm slim and have some fat hanging off me.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I didn't say there wasn't room, I was just curious what the aim was when already in a healthy range. He could very easily be "skinny fat". As it goes he's replied and that seems to not be the case.

I've asked a few more questions but I'm still erring on the side of recomp if he's finding himself hungry at current goals. It may take longer but he'll still get the results without constantly battling hunger pangs.

Agreed.

OP - can you open your diary so we can get a sense of your intake vs. need?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    MFP doesn't account for exercise in its goals (unless you pick something more than sedentary) so my guess is you're not eating enough which is leading to the bingeing/overeating. I'd use a TDEE calculator and eat 250 calories below that for 0.5lb per week loss. The last bit is always going to be the toughest.

Let me see if I can find the really good recomp thread.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    How long have you been following this diet / exercise routine for?
    Have you ever had a week or two off where you reduce your volume of training and eat near maintenance?
    Has your life become more generally stressful than usual recently?
    Are you sure you are not coming down with an illness?

My inclination would be to take a week or two off and then get back to your regularly scheduled programming.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
  • hiitsscott
    Options
    Diary opened. I never pick sedentary. I've been on this particular macros plan for a few weeks now I think, or at least I've tried to stick to this with varying degrees of success. Before that I had been trying Eat to Perform which had a plan of 2400 calories training/1800 calories rest days which did not work for me. But in general, I've been on some sort of fat loss plan far more often than now since the beginning of 2012. I am constantly stressed, going to the gym stresses me because I don't like dealing with people. I suffer from anxiety issues but just try and get on with it. I've had a blood test at the doctors for constant feelings of lethargy, hunger, etc and they said there wasn't anything wrong with me. It's weird that three people have flagged that recomp thread, it seems very reasonable and nothing at all controversial.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    "Constantly stressed" :(

Trade one of your workouts for mediation. You deserve to be happy. And cortisol can be a bear.