tips for first time runner

Options
Hola!!! Hope everyone is doing great....
I need a some advice....
till now i am burning calories just by walking and bicycling.... i am thinking of running now.... any tips that would be useful for a first time runner?????

also need friends who can motivate me... :)

Replies

• plaffo378
    plaffo378 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Start of slow and build up your time, a nice fast pace then run for a min then walk then run, I've found this eases me into my running
    Is it outside or on a treadmill?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I found it easy by following a programme. I used the Couch to 5k and I've never looked back since.
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Run Double is an app I started with. It's free and it builds you up to running. I used it to run 5k now use it to record my distances and pace.

My tip would be you don't have to run fast. A SLOW jog is perfectly fine. Your pace will quicken naturally the more you do it. If you can't talk when running, you're going to fast.

I've been running since April, completed a 5k race at the end of May and then did a 10k obstacle course in July. Now training for a half marathon.

Good luck. X
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There's a really good post to get you started that's included in the Fitness and Exercise "must reads" post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    All the advice here is good. there are tons of programs to use to get you started. Just remember to start slow, walk when you need to and make sure you have some great scenery and music to keep you going. Best of luck!! Running is awesome!!!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I love the couch to 5k program and recommend the Zen labs app. It tells you exactly when you need to start and stop your running segments.
  • PrincessWarior
    PrincessWarior Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good advice for sure, it takes time to love running. It took me at least 5 years to "enjoy" and respect. Shoes are very important don't run in scrap, invest in them. Good music is a must <3 Once you get the "hang" of it you'll feel great. Enjoy and don't get discourage.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I love the couch to 5k program and recommend the Zen labs app. It tells you exactly when you need to start and stop your running segments.

that is the one I used and I graduated to the b210k :astonished: and will be moving on to a half marathon program afterwards. SIL wants to do a half together.

be careful, it's addicting. do not over do it. start slow and I would start with some sort of training plan. so you don't over do it. and invest in good shoes. go to a running store and get a gait analysis and they will fit you with the right shoe for your stride. and do not over do it :smile:
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Shoes are really important! There's a ton of ways that new runners can hurt themselves (shin splints, runner's knee, plantar fasciitis, etc), and having shoes that fit right and support your foot properly will help you avoid them. Don't break the bank, but it is a good idea to get properly fitted if you can.

I didn't use c25k or anything like that, but the MapMyRun ap helps keep me motivated. It keeps you updated on your distance/time/whatever, and you can compare yourself to other runners in your area who do the same route. I just keep my feed private amd compare times with my boyfriend, haha.

It may seem silly, but where and when you run can really make a difference. I didn't learn to enjoy running until I started getting up at dawn and doing trail runs. Being in a comfortable environment is probably more important to me than having good music :) Also on a practical note, if you can start out running on a chip trail or something similar, your knees will thnk you!
  • jitender88
    jitender88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    plaffo378 wrote: »
    Start of slow and build up your time, a nice fast pace then run for a min then walk then run, I've found this eases me into my running
    Is it outside or on a treadmill?

outside.... treadmill is really boring... thanks for the advice :)
  • jitender88
    Options
    I found it easy by following a programme. I used the Couch to 5k and I've never looked back since.

quite a few people have advised for the app.. going to download it tonight.. thank you so much for your input :)
  • jitender88
    Options
    Run Double is an app I started with. It's free and it builds you up to running. I used it to run 5k now use it to record my distances and pace.

My tip would be you don't have to run fast. A SLOW jog is perfectly fine. Your pace will quicken naturally the more you do it. If you can't talk when running, you're going to fast.

I've been running since April, completed a 5k race at the end of May and then did a 10k obstacle course in July. Now training for a half marathon.

Good luck. X

wow..... 10K in two months... !!!! u can be my inspiration for sure.... !!! thanks a ton :)
  • jitender88
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I second the recommendation to do the Couch to 5K program. It is a nice, gradual way to go from not running at all to being able to pretty easily finish a 5K.

Good luck and happy running!

thanks a ton for the app advice... every second runner in myfitnesspal seems to be using the same app... downloading it right now... :)
  • jitender88
    Options
    There's a really good post to get you started that's included in the Fitness and Exercise "must reads" post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

thanks for the link diannethegeek... it was really helpful :)
  • jitender88
    Options
    Good advice for sure, it takes time to love running. It took me at least 5 years to "enjoy" and respect. Shoes are very important don't run in scrap, invest in them. Good music is a must <3 Once you get the "hang" of it you'll feel great. Enjoy and don't get discourage.

i think i am really going to love running... thanks for taking the time to give your valuable advice
  • jitender88
    Options
    Shoes are really important! There's a ton of ways that new runners can hurt themselves (shin splints, runner's knee, plantar fasciitis, etc), and having shoes that fit right and support your foot properly will help you avoid them. Don't break the bank, but it is a good idea to get properly fitted if you can.

I didn't use c25k or anything like that, but the MapMyRun ap helps keep me motivated. It keeps you updated on your distance/time/whatever, and you can compare yourself to other runners in your area who do the same route. I just keep my feed private amd compare times with my boyfriend, haha.

It may seem silly, but where and when you run can really make a difference. I didn't learn to enjoy running until I started getting up at dawn and doing trail runs. Being in a comfortable environment is probably more important to me than having good music :) Also on a practical note, if you can start out running on a chip trail or something similar, your knees will thnk you!

is it like some brands are better than the others when running shoes are considered??? and also thanks a ton for the advice :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I used to start running with a no pain no gain attitude and run three miles. My knees would start hurting the next day and I thought "I can't run because I have bad knees". I then started playing Ingress.com on my walks. Its a GPS game where you go to locations to attack the other teams portals. Anyway I started to run short distances to attack faster. Before I realized it I was running several miles a day and my knees didn't hurt anymore. Today I run 25+ miles a week and have two half marathons under my belt. My point is the slow build up from running intervals to steady running works. Get really good shoes from a real running store. Buy shoes one size larger than your regular size or your toenails will turn black and fall off. Synthetic socks, no cotton. Clothing with moisture wicking fabric. Keep track of your miles with a running app, I use Runtastic. Plan on replacing shoes every 400 miles or so. Enjoy!
  • jitender88
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I used to start running with a no pain no gain attitude and run three miles. My knees would start hurting the next day and I thought "I can't run because I have bad knees". I then started playing Ingress.com on my walks. Its a GPS game where you go to locations to attack the other teams portals. Anyway I started to run short distances to attack faster. Before I realized it I was running several miles a day and my knees didn't hurt anymore. Today I run 25+ miles a week and have two half marathons under my belt. My point is the slow build up from running intervals to steady running works. Get really good shoes from a real running store. Buy shoes one size larger than your regular size or your toenails will turn black and fall off. Synthetic socks, no cotton. Clothing with moisture wicking fabric. Keep track of your miles with a running app, I use Runtastic. Plan on replacing shoes every 400 miles or so. Enjoy!

those are some really helpful points there.. thanks a ton friend :)
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

jitender88 wrote: »

is it like some brands are better than the others when running shoes are considered??? and also thanks a ton for the advice :)

a running shop will select the better shoe for your gait. It's also worth thinking about the terrain you will be running on as there are different shoes for different terrain. A trail shoe is for off -road and then you can get road shoes for tarmac etc.

When you go, it could be worth asking if they have last season's shoes which are still good, but are cheaper! As a guideline, I paid £70 for my shoes.