one treat a day ok?

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    food is food. not a treat, or bad, or good-though some is more nutritional than others
    point being is if it fits in the calorie allotment, I eat it-brownies, cheesecake, ice cream, cake. w/e
    yesterday, I had two pieces of double chocolate bread for breakfast.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The thing that I've found that occurs for me now is that I've become a lot pickier about my treats. If I'm gonna blow a bunch of my precious calories on something, it'd better be freaking AMAZING! B)
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like ice cream as treats and sometimes you can find the fun size or mini candy bars in a bulk food store or a grocery store. I personally like the Clack bar jrs or twix minis!
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ice cream sammiches!! Gotta get some Fudge Pops.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am able to say "no" to all the office snacks (well, more like saying no to the coworkers trying to push them!) because I know that my treat time is after dinner in bed. After all my meals have been eaten and i've gone to the gym, I can have a treat. It works wonders for me as it has always been my preferred snacking time but also it means I don't feel pressured to skip dinner because I went a bit crazy with the chocolate earlier in the day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    IMO treats are part of a balanced diet.
  • runwithtoppa
    runwithtoppa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wolfed down 3 reeses peanut butter cups for lunch. I do not feel the slightest amount of guilt over them and I don't even class them as a treat.
    They were within my calorie allowance and they have calcium and iron in :smiley: I'm all for the calcium and iron right now.

Don't tell yourself to cut anything out of your diet, ask yourself what you can work into it.

I only have 63 calories left for dinner.... I am hoping some lentil and bacon soup will fit into that range :neutral: might have to go easy on the bread roll!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    nicnocz82 wrote: »
    If i stay within my calorie allowance will having 1 caramac and 1 mint options at night hurt my weightloss?

No, it won't hurt it.

A common suggestion is to reserve 10-20% of your intake for a "treats" which you can choose to use or replace with "non treat" food as you feel.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I eat treats every day! I just try to get my veggies and my protein in, also.

You can treat yo'self within your goals and be perfectly healthy. Your body is not a Nazi.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine! I've lost 80 pounds. Haven't given up my treats. I only try to avoid them now during PMS as it can start horrible carb cravings, but otherwise, I have ice cream, chocolate, cookies...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Only one??
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Fit your treat into your calories and of course its fine and you'll still be on track to lose... :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    i Have an incredibly sweet tooth. If i stay within my calorie allowance will having 1 caramac and 1 mint options at night hurt my weightloss? Does anyone else have a daily treat? Does it help. You stay on the wagon?

Nope, as long as you stay within your calorie goals.

Every day I have a treat--sometimes a cookie, or some ice cream, candy, something. I refuse to deprive myself. It helps me to realize that no food is good or bad, it's all just food.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    I made a chocolate chip pie the other day. Had some for dessert last night. Yum! It fit in my daily calorie allowance. And was so worth it.

What you eat matters for overall health. But it doesn't matter for weight loss specificially. Only thing that matters for weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit.

Chocolate chip pie? That sounds delicious!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    The thing that I've found that occurs for me now is that I've become a lot pickier about my treats. If I'm gonna blow a bunch of my precious calories on something, it'd better be freaking AMAZING! B)

This!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    i Have an incredibly sweet tooth. If i stay within my calorie allowance will having 1 caramac and 1 mint options at night hurt my weightloss? Does anyone else have a daily treat? Does it help. You stay on the wagon?

How many calories do you get per day and how many calories are in the caramac and mint?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You can eat literally anything you want, and as long as you maintain a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    If i stay within my calorie allowance will having 1 caramac and 1 mint options at night hurt my weightloss?

No, it won't hurt it.

A common suggestion is to reserve 10-20% of your intake for a "treats" which you can choose to use or replace with "non treat" food as you feel.

The 10-20% probably comes from a recommendation from the Choosemyplate program of no more than 10-15% daily calories from empty calories to maintain health. I would suggest as one restricts calories more, the % from empty calories should be closer to the 10% to ensure you get your marcos/micros

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/sites/default/files/printablematerials/mini_poster.pdf
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    for dinner monday I had a piece of french silk pie, 1.5 cups of caramel pop corn and a chocolate chip cookie. because YUM. I think i went like 7 calories over that day, whatever. I eat whatever I want. I just make sure I have the calories for it, I have lost 26 pounds so far. i'm having a bacon, cheddar and mayo sandwich for lunch today. AND potato chips.

If you don't have a ton of calories, i find dry sweet cereal to be a great way to get a sugar fix.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    IMO treats are part of a balanced diet.

THIS. Totally agree.