too many bears where i live

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Or just sing the "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there" song and be safely wisked away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CannonWhale
    CannonWhale Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Or just sing the "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there" song and be safely wisked away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Good one ! lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I think this thread is missing the point. Treadmills are as deadly, perhaps more so, than black bears.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/health/goldberg-treadmill-accident-cases/
    Last year, emergency rooms saw 24,000 injuries related to the treadmill, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    "There have been 30 reported deaths associated with treadmills for the 10 year period from 2003-2012 or an average of about three per year," the safety agency says.

Per the links above, only 23 people were killed by black bears in the 80 year period from 1900 to 1980.

So, I think you are safer against a black bear than running on a treadmill.

That should be the point, I think.

# of people in the U.S. who ever use a treadmill vs # of people in the U.S. who ever encounter a black bear in that year?

My guess, the bears are still more dangerous than a treadmill.

Personally, I would not go running where there are likely to be black bears, but that's because I like to zone out when I run and not have to keep a weather eye out for wildlife.

But shouldn't the comparison be the number of people who use a treadmill vs. the number of people who walk/run where they could encounter a bear? Because the question is "Is it safe to walk where bears live?"

Not to answer whether bears are more dangerous than treadmills, which was the point I quoted. It's a specious comparison regardless.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, some people just can't handle criticism of treadmills. :tongue:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm too busy looking up which Treadmill Species is more likely to kill me.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    I grew up hiking, camping and running in the primitive areas of rural northern Idaho. We had all kinds of wildlife and the only ones we were taught to be super wary of were grizzly and moose. Simply getting between a mom and her babies doesn't mean you will be attacked. Now if you are running up to the babies, exclaiming how cute they are and trying to pet them, yah pretty much any mother animal may bite or attack - even a pet dog. It is just common sense.

I live now in very urban So California and where I run we have mountain lions, coyotes, snakes (mostly rattle snakes) and other small animals. I have never seen a mountain lion here but I have seen many coyotes and snakes and they go about their business and are uninterested in the people on the trails. I am much more afraid of the unobservant drivers and being hit by them than any of the animals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is missing the point. Treadmills are as deadly, perhaps more so, than black bears.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/health/goldberg-treadmill-accident-cases/
    Last year, emergency rooms saw 24,000 injuries related to the treadmill, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    "There have been 30 reported deaths associated with treadmills for the 10 year period from 2003-2012 or an average of about three per year," the safety agency says.

Per the links above, only 23 people were killed by black bears in the 80 year period from 1900 to 1980.

So, I think you are safer against a black bear than running on a treadmill.

That should be the point, I think.

# of people in the U.S. who ever use a treadmill vs # of people in the U.S. who ever encounter a black bear in that year?

My guess, the bears are still more dangerous than a treadmill.

Personally, I would not go running where there are likely to be black bears, but that's because I like to zone out when I run and not have to keep a weather eye out for wildlife.

But shouldn't the comparison be the number of people who use a treadmill vs. the number of people who walk/run where they could encounter a bear? Because the question is "Is it safe to walk where bears live?"

Not to answer whether bears are more dangerous than treadmills, which was the point I quoted. It's a specious comparison regardless.

I'm not sure that was the point, but I suppose it doesn't matter.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    On a serious note, my niece was run over by a car while out running one time. My brother said she was close to not making it. She's fully recovered now. Urban dangers are real and unpredictable.

I don't know if she ever did. I know her road to recovery was a long one and one of her knees had to be pinned back together. I'll have to find out.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Be glad to live somewhere where they are still able to live and roam around.
    I just googled the 'big five' wild animals for my country: 2 types of deer, boars, badgers and foxes.
    I really wish I lived in one of the big old forest areas like in north-America.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I wonder what happened to the mke lion?
    I've seen rattlers in AZ, wolves and coyotes here in WI.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Just think of the horror if there were treadmills in the woods!!!!

Oh, the carnage!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Life is dangerous.

Wild animals... mostly they would rather avoid humans. Make some noise when you are out walking and you won't see much of anything. I have been hiking at my in-laws cabin in the Allegheny mountains where the neighbor who lives there year round has said he has seen as many as 6 black bears in our camp some mornings. Yet in an entire weekend of camping have yet to see a bear. Plenty of scat. No bears. Kind of a bummer really.

You can't go through life being to afraid of the world to go out your front door. It sounds like you live in a pretty wonderful place to be outdoors. There is less and less of the world where wild things still have a place. And those places are usually incredibly beautiful. How sad to never be able to experience it out of fear of something that will probably never happen.

What good is a long life if you never do anything with it?

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This is not a sane reason to condone it, but if I were to be killed by a bear, car or treadmill...

I think I might pick the bear.

Not that I want any of those, and frankly the bear might be the least pleasant way to go.

But if I could, I would be thrilled to say I was killed by a bear while running in the woods as opposed to being hit by a car, or falling from a treadmill and hitting my head.

In fact, if I ever do go running in bear country, I think I will do it naked with my hair on fire just to add to the story.

Aw, heck, who am I kidding? I would have done it naked even without the bear! Except maybe the hair on fire part.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @whatmerunning no matter how you die we'll drag your body to the woods and tell a great story of your bare bear death. Cause. well. that's what friends do for each other.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I don't think @WhatMeRunning should be tempting us with these ideas @skippygirlsmom. ;-)
  • TenHorses
    TenHorses Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bears are just trying to get their exercise and fun in too!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4sEazfbKwf8
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    @whatmerunning no matter how you die we'll drag your body to the woods and tell a great story of your bare bear death. Cause. well. that's what friends do for each other.

why wait for him to die? be more proactive
  • gunrock1970
    gunrock1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    it's best to avoid bears if possible and cougars of all kind

consider a treadmill if you do not feel safe

You might get a better workout with some kinds of cougar than a treadmill! :D
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I don't think @WhatMeRunning should be tempting us with these ideas @skippygirlsmom. ;-)

LOL
    DavPul wrote: »

why wait for him to die? be more proactive

He runs faster than I do