6 Pound GAIN when eating healthier.

Options
Hello, Quick rundown.

Iv just come off tour with a festival. 8 stops over 10 weeks where my exersise was regulated from building and pulling down equipment and food was whatever I could get my hands on.

After coming off tour I have now started eating better along with exerising, moving more and eating less.

I have seen a 6 pound gain since a weighed myself last week to now, surely a month after I came off tour it cant of messed with this recent gain? I have not really done any heavy weight trianing either?

Can someone explain this gain?

Thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You ate too much? Water weight? A combination of the two?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Simply put, you're taking in more calories than you're burning. If you are eating in a deficit, you *will* lose weight. Here's a chart to help you sort it out:

j03dtbx08xno.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    even if you eat healthy you can still gain weight. it's about a calorie deficit. and sometimes exercise can cause water retention.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    After a week? It's not really possible to know. I would attribute such a large swing in such a short space of time to water retention. It's unlikely to be all or mostly fat unless you have been really going for it diet wise.

If the trend continues over the next few weeks then check the accuracy of your methods.
  • taylorpalmer23
    taylorpalmer23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I have dropped my cal intake from atleast 2500 to 1500-1800 and added in more exersise, do you think water weight could be from the step up in cardio recently?

Could metabolism from hardwork on tour and then a month of less activity finally be catching up?

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Give it a bit longer and watch the trend, it's too late to tell anything after a week. Probably water weight.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Unless you've eaten an excess of 6 * 3500 = 21,000 calories above maintenance over the past week, you haven't gained 6lbs of fat. It's water fluctuations.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Unless you've eaten an excess of 6 * 3500 = 21,000 calories above maintenance over the past week, you haven't gained 6lbs of fat. It's water fluctuations.
    There's no obvious reason why it can't be both fat and water, is there?

• FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This same thing happens to me the first week when I change my eating habits! I went up 2 lbs the first week and then lost 5 lbs the 2nd week, and now I'm only seeing declining numbers. Give it some time, it's water for sure.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I have dropped my cal intake from atleast 2500 to 1500-1800 and added in more exersise, do you think water weight could be from the step up in cardio recently?

Could metabolism from hardwork on tour and then a month of less activity finally be catching up?
    Your metabolism doesn't change meaningfully in that kind of timeframe.

Most likely, it's mostly water from the exercise and extra sodium from whatever you ate and possibly some actual weight gain, depending on how much you ate.

• msf74
    Options
    Whenever I see threads like this is always reminds me of the "Curse of Week 2" in the Biggest Loser. I no longer watch it because I think it is horrifically exploitative but it seems an external mystery to many that contestants could be slashing calories, exercising all the hours that god sends yet still not losing weight or even gaining.

Now, these people are confined to the ranch so it's not like they can seek out to the local shop to buy Doritos and dougnuts to binge on (I presume) and I am sure it would be pretty obvious if the food quantities were mysteriously diminishing.

I think it is easy to under estimate just how much water people can retain initially or how much it can fluctuate especially in the early weeks of a programme, and particularly when exercise is introduced.

Look to the trend not the isolated reading.
  • taylorpalmer23
    Options
    Can i just make clear that I have been dieting for a month and losing, from last week to this week however I have gained 6 pound, not started this week and gained.

Thanks for th advice guys!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Can i just make clear that I have been dieting for a month and losing, from last week to this week however I have gained 6 pound, not started this week and gained.

Doesn't really matter. The same things contribute to weight gain whether you started last year or yesterday.

• msf74
    Options

When you say you have upped your cardio what type are you doing, how many days a week and for how long?

Also, how confident are you that your logging is correct?
  • taylorpalmer23
    Options
    My Logging is correct, not a cal burned or food eaten before its logged. Um, well I had been doing around half an hour of cardio with every gym session around 3 times a week, but recently changed that to about 20-25 mins of intervel cardio?