Eating Out FEAR!!

Options
Tonight I have to go out for a meal with my family and its the first time Ive been out since dieting... Here is the big problem... It is at a chinese restaurant!!

Can you guys please give me some tips about how to keep calories down or does anyone know any low-cal chinese options??

Thank You

Tasha xx

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    BUMP
    Any chance the restaurant has a website with nutritional info?
  • NatashaJayne23
    Options
    Unfortunately not no, Ive already checked for that :/
  • SKastanis
    SKastanis Posts: 11
    Options
    They might have some light options. If not, steamed chicken w/ veggies and sauce on the side is really yummy, and not bad for you. Also, fortune cookies only have about 20 cal, so definitely eat one.. or two :wink:
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    There was another thread like this and the consensus seemed to be steamed veggies with the sauce on the side.

If you can't order like that, I would suggest beef with brocolli on steamed rice.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Chinese Chicken & Brocolli WITHOUT the rice, eggroll or soup. It is what I am eating today for lunch. 2 cups is about 300 calories & oh so yummy!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you can, get a menu to look at before hand. Stay away from anything that is fried or breaded. Lots of veggies and steamed rice with a little protein.
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    chineese food
    I love it .. but they use alot of soya sause which is high in sodium.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Is it a Buffet place? All those places have salad bars don't they.
  • christineanne8
    Options
    I would recommend something steamed. Skip noodles and go wtih brown rice, or no rice. There is usually a broccoli and shrimp/chicken/etc selection. Good luck!
  • SueN113
    SueN113 Posts: 46
    Options
    I usually get steamed shrimp and vegetables with garlic sauce on the side. It is really yummy. Or I do steamed tofu/bean curd with veggies and sauce on the side and I always have a cup of hot and sour or egg drop. Just skip the rice or order brown rice and just have a small portion.
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I usually get szechwan chicken b/c it comes with a lot of veggies and the chicken isnt fried. I'm not sure how many calories it is though (and it is a bit spicy). The chinese restaurant I go to has light options as well.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    white (or brown) rice actually is pretty low cal and filling if you just eat one serving of it.
    any veggies and meat that are not fried, and drain off the excess sauces.
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators

This website has tons of different restaurants nutrional facts there is a couple of chinese places on there too. I use it a lot to figure out what I am going to have ahead of time if I am going out.
  • NatashaJayne23
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I feel a little better about venturing out tonight now haha!
  • Beautiful_Fury
    Beautiful_Fury Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Here are a few options...

2 cups of Kung Pao Chicken is 432 calories

1.5 cups of Shrimp with Snow Peas is 300 calories

and 2 cups of Broccoli Beef is 303 calories..

Of course all of these figures do not include rice or noodles.. but half a cup of steamed white rice is only about 100 calories..

Good luck tonight and I hope this helps... :o)
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would say just practice portion control and watch out for the usual suspects - fried foods and heavy sauces. Steamed rice vs. fried rice, steamed chicken vs sesame or general taos

If you google chinese food calories you will get MFP's list of all Chinese foods.