I want to gain weight!

Options

Replies

• shreya1810
    shreya1810 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thompsonbritany and kirstens1984 - I am in the same boat as both of you. I am 5'5" and have dropped from 112 lb to 87lbs since June 2014. lost menstruation for 9 months and trying to gain weight really hard now. My blood sugar problems dont let me eat high carb food and I am vegetarian. So I am hardly at 1400-1500 cal. do you guys have any idea of high calorie meals which doesnt have too much sugar/carbs? thanks
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i don't want to gain weight but my outpatient team hadn't weighed me in a long time, and when they did again (i had gotten sick with lyme and had lost my appetite and were concerned as illness causes set backs many times for people recovering from eating disorders). i am down to 106 at 5'5 and they want me to gain to 120. idk how to do that, it sounds terrifying. when i first gained weight with them i was in a research study taking zyprexa and i ballooned up super fast, and was not comfortable with that at all. scared that will happen again, back to only mostly consuming fruit and veg. feel free to friend me anyone trying to gain as well maybe we can help each other out.
  • Marialecaca
    Marialecaca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! ive always been thin, it never bothered me until this year when i went sick. So i lost some pounds. I'm 1m65 for 49kg and i want to gain 5kilos. My Kcal goal is 2000 every d.
    I'm gonna try some exercises but i wish i could just eat more- I dont wanna exercise!

Good luck team :)
  • Marialecaca
    Marialecaca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been anorexic for 4 years :/
  • FrancescaMariehowlett
    Options
    Does anyone know what type of exercises to do to help gain weight and become a bit more curvy? I've joined the gym but still feel quite clueless!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Does anyone know what type of exercises to do to help gain weight and become a bit more curvy? I've joined the gym but still feel quite clueless!

OP, it seems like you haven't actually read any stickies or anything on gaining weight.

A caloric surplus is needed to gain weight. What you do with that is your choice; if you lift weights with a progressive overload and meet your protein requirements, the weight will include muscle and fat.

Bit more curvy? Strong Curves is your answer.

If you feel clueless, you haven't researched enough.
  • devildogheath
    devildogheath Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For hard gainers I don't think 2000 to 2500 is going to be enough to do the trick. I never saw any results until I started eating a minimum of 5k a day.
  • FrancescaMariehowlett
    Options

OP, it seems like you haven't actually read any stickies or anything on gaining weight.

A caloric surplus is needed to gain weight. What you do with that is your choice; if you lift weights with a progressive overload and meet your protein requirements, the weight will include muscle and fat.

Bit more curvy? Strong Curves is your answer.

If you feel clueless, you haven't researched enough.

• FrancescaMariehowlett
    Options
    unfortunately there seems to be a lot of information out there to gain weight for men or to loose weight, but not so much for females who are trying to gain weight. If you have just stepped foot in the gym it can be quite intimidating, especially as the weight area is male dominated. I have lost weight from being ill and so am working to gain my weight back. I was merely asking if any females could recommend any exercises to do or work outs to help me. Me asking for help is a way of finding out more information from people who are in the same boat as me.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    unfortunately there seems to be a lot of information out there to gain weight for men or to loose weight, but not so much for females who are trying to gain weight. If you have just stepped foot in the gym it can be quite intimidating, especially as the weight area is male dominated. I have lost weight from being ill and so am working to gain my weight back. I was merely asking if any females could recommend any exercises to do or work outs to help me. Me asking for help is a way of finding out more information from people who are in the same boat as me.

Men and women gain weight the same way; you don't need a special program. Just eat :smile: and lift. If you are finding yourself full but low on calories, add in nuts, butters, oils, or other calorie dense foods.

If you are looking for a good beginner lifting program:
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5
    Strong Curves

Best of luck!
  • FrancescaMariehowlett
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Men and women gain weight the same way; you don't need a special program. Just eat :smile: and lift. If you are finding yourself full but low on calories, add in nuts, butters, oils, or other calorie dense foods.

If you are looking for a good beginner lifting program:
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts 5x5
    Strong Curves

Best of luck!

• FrancescaMariehowlett
    Options
    Thank you!! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The training should be the same, the different will be the results. Men are more capable of gaining more muscle faster. What you will typically hear is a muscle to fat ratio of 50/50 for men and 25/75 for women.
  • berrysteph55
    berrysteph55 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm trying too also
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am at 9.5% body fat, does it mean that i have to eat EVEN more to gain since my muscles are 'metabolically' more active?
  • le4hbe4h
    le4hbe4h Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I gained 20lbs in a year. You've got this.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    le4hbe4h wrote: »
    I gained 20lbs in a year. You've got this.

were you counting calories while gaining? How many times did u adjust your calories. What was your before and after weight and height (obviously height doesnt change haah!) :)
  • isabellamac1
    isabellamac1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to be Anorexic and have now gained 20 kg, if you need any help or so , let me know :)
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" / 3" and 102 pounds. I had a baby this year, and my pre-pregnancy weight was 98 pounds.

I'm breastfeeding and that burns a lot of calories. I never eat below 2,200 calories a day though. And I have a huge appetite!
  • AShearman90
    AShearman90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I so badly miss my curves, I have a 15 month old who I still breastfeed and it's made me lose so much weight. I plan on gaining 9kg and working my bum and hips. I'm so glad I'm not the only female wishing to gain weight x