Lifting weights

Options
I was going to try lifting weights to my exercise routine. I have seen most routines have you doing 3-4 sets of 10-15. Is it just as effective to split the sets up throughout the day. I do good to complete one set. TIA!!!

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I was going to try lifting weights to my exercise routine. I have seen most routines have you doing 3-4 sets of 10-15. Is it just as effective to split the sets up throughout the day. I do good to complete one set. TIA!!!

What exactly does "split sets up throughout the day" mean? Are you going to go into the gym, do one 15 reps of bicep curls, leave then come back later for another?
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options

What exactly does "split sets up throughout the day" mean? Are you going to go into the gym, do one 15 reps of bicep curls, leave then come back later for another?

I just mean doing three sets throughout the day instead of back to back. I would love to get started, but having to take baby steps.
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I just mean doing three sets throughout the day instead of back to back. I would love to get started, but having to take baby steps.

I also have the weights at home. So can do it whenever.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I really like this routine-- http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

It's simple, full-body, and gives you a realistic idea of what to expect from a lifting routine. There are also intermediate and expert routines as well for when you feel ready. Personally, I've been sticking to the beginner routine though, since there's a lot of variations that you can try.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Normally, you would want to rest from 1 to 3 minutes between sets. You have to stress the muscle to make change and 15 reps with hours in between will not really apply the stimuli necessary to cause a response.

Baby steps:
    movement 1:
    10 reps
    rest 2 minutes
    10 reps
    rest 2 minutes
    10 reps
    rest 4 minutes
    movement 2:
    Repeat

You should check out the book New Rules for lifting for women or starting strength or check out the EM2WL group on MFP.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you want baby steps, start at a weight you can easily accomplish. Each day you do the lift increase the weights. That is baby steps.

Splitting the sets up means you have to warm up all over again or risk injury. When I do squats, I start at just the bar and then add ~50lb of plates and do a set of 5. Increase by another 50 and repeat and so on. If I had to do that 3-5 times/day it would be a big waste of time.
  • _bellator_
    _bellator_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options

No, no, it's not anywhere close to as effective. Sorry.
  • jfitnessguru
    jfitnessguru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're brand new to lifting there's no need to split up the sets throughout the day nor complete that many sets as a beginner. I've witnessed lifters in the beginning stages of weight training do well following a full body routine 3-4 days a week. You can complete 2 sets with a rep range of 6-8 or 8-10. You can cycle different rep rangers bi-weekly and rotate different movements. Rest periods can vary depending on how fatigued you are. Following a full body routine should have you in and out of the gym 45 mins to 60 mins tops. Good Luck! Enjoy the beginning stages because yrs from now you will look back at where you started and be proud of how far you have come along on your journey.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you are too tired to continue after a single set of 10-15 reps then your weight is way too heavy.