Fibromyalgia, Lupus. Arthritis, Pain

Options
Hi! do any of you also have the added challenge of trying to be active while under the tough pains and inconveniences of lupus and or fibromyalgia?

Replies

• corasam
    corasam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and have found exercise actually helps. Some days I can do more than others, but every little bit helps. I have found that the treadmill and swimming pool are my friends. On the good days I use the arm & leg machines with the weights I can handle for the complete time on the circuit.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    yes I struggle with a couple of these things and exercise helps.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus, and it is a constant struggle. Eating healthy will actually help your symptoms and may alleviate them. I try to focus on a low added-sugar diet (stray away from candies, ice creams, most sweets) and stick with the clean eating motto in order to keep inflammation down as much as possible. Of course, it's near impossible to avoid flares - and when I flare it can be really frustrating and painful to go to the gym and continue with my regular lifting/cardio routine. I still go to the gym when I flare, but I won't lift as heavy of weights, or run as much as usual. It really helps to remain strict with your healthy eating in order to maintain even when you can't exercise quite as much.
  • rundellh
    rundellh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hard to get motivated when your in pain. :/
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    rundellh wrote: »
    Hard to get motivated when your in pain. :/

Very true! I actually just had a post about that.
  • memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and arthritis...generally the healthy eating and exercise helps. But when I have a flare up sometimes it makes it hard to do either. Not sleeping well and migraines can definitely interfere with my daily plan. Hugs to you and anyone else dealing with the pain of these conditions ❤️
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and arthritis. Yoga saves me. Even on the worst days, I can eek out 15 minutes to do some light yoga and I feel better. I discovered that yoga helps me meditate away from the pain for a little bit, which makes me feel better about being in pain the rest of the day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have FM and OA for 20 years. I've never had it really bad to the point where it's debilitating as some do. I've been working out for 14 months and the progress has been incredible. I can do the workouts, but I've had A LOT of challenges with recovery, as in being toast and unable to function the rest of the day after a morning workout. My tolerance has improved greatly over the past year, but I still have difficulty with the metabolic circuit/boot camp style class. Very frustrating for sure because I really want to go for it!
    67388953.png