Calling all fellow vegans!

Options
13»

Replies

• EXNING
    EXNING Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Idk if i wrote in here but im vegan! All fellow vegans feel free to add me :) i eat mostly raw till dinner and have been vegan for about 3-4 years
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    WTG! I am not vegan, but I eat nutritious foods. My roomie, who I adore, is vegan... So we eat a lot of vegan meals together.
  • singingmommy25
    singingmommy25 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    darventura wrote: »
    Hi everyone - I just started eating 100% plant-based 3 weeks ago. I have always dabbled with vegetarian/vegan, but couldn't ever stick to it. Last year I fought breast cancer and won so now I have a bit of motivation. LOL Would really love to connect with other vegans and share tips and tricks. Currently working with Oh She Glows cookbook although I have a lot of them already... China Study, Engine 2, and a bunch of raw cookbooks. Love all of the documentaries... I watch them over and over to stay committed. Newest one was Overfed and Undernourished. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Congrats on being a breast cancer warrior and survivor! I love my Oh She Glows cookbook especially the coconut oil chocolate bark. I keep that in my freezer for whenever I need a sweet snack :)

• singingmommy25
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    It keeps my iron at least high enough to donate blood (which is the only time I have it checked really), even though the tech always comments that my numbers are low.
    The tech would not know about your iron. They only check hematocrit -- and maybe not even that. The requirement is to check whole blood specific weight by calibrated copper sulfate solution.

If you are happy eating spinach and feel good than no worries, but if you want a better answer you need to dig a little deeper.

Thanks so much for this! I seriously did not know this. They always say, "We're going to check your iron", so I never knew there was a difference. When I was pregnant I was anemic (as diagnosed by OB/GYN), and I felt dizzy all the time and had the strangest food cravings, so I don't think I'm terribly iron deficient now, but I'll definitely look into it! Headed to the doc next week for my first physical in 2 years :)

• singingmommy25
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm a (very non-judgy) vegan who has been free of all animal products for the past three and half years. I find I've met 2 types of omnivores: those who assume all vegans are gangly and sickly and can't possibly be getting all their nutrients, and those who assume vegans are all organic, raw eating health nuts who never have to worry about their weight. I love food, and while I cook and eat primarily with my beloved veggies, I also love to bake. Think of any delicious, calorie laden dessert favorite and I've made it in a vegan version: cheesecakes, cream pies, doughnuts, ice cream, etc. Here I am staring down 40 in less than two years and I find myself with about 10 - 15 pounds I'd like to shed. Add me as a friend, particularly if you're a vegan (or at least veg-friendly - seriously, no haters, please) and we can swap motivation, recipes, and tips for being an herbivore in a world obsessed with bacon. :D

Well, this omnivore HAS met quite a few vegans like you described ;)

However, I wouldn't extrapolate that across to ALL vegans :)

I applaud ethical vegans!

Have a cookbook: The Angelica Home Kitchen: Recipes and Rabble Rousings from an Organic Vegan Restaurant

Love the Three Grain Pilaf!

Checking out that cookbook right now!

• jessica_sodenkamp
    jessica_sodenkamp Posts: 34 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tgd4n31oqdkj.jpg
    HCLF vegan here going on 2 years. Add me and check out my Instagram: jessicasodenkamp
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    My arithmetic says your weight loss rate during the first period was 14/4 = 3.5 lbs per month; and during the last two months weight loss is 5 lbs per month. So depending where you decide to fit the transition period either your vegan diet is shedding lbs faster or slower. The answer is neither if your net calories are the same.
    The transition was two months, during which I was in maintenance.

The plant-based/vegan diet started 2 months ago so yes, weight loss is faster now. Since my calories have been the same, the faster rate of weight loss is down to the increased exercise and therefore higher deficit. And the increased exercise is being driven by higher energy from my new diet which is now upto 80% carbs. All I know is that it's usually harder to lose weight when you get closer to your goal, but for me, I'm finding it easier. If I was on this diet at the start, I bet I'd have lost faster than I did in those first four mths.
  • fitvitality
    fitvitality Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I plan to head towards a vegan lifestyle eventually, but I still eat eggs, dairy and fish (I'm just thinking what I ate recently and there were marshmallows in there, too). Guess I have a long way to go. I'm happy to share vegan recipes if you all are happy to share them with me, too. If any of you are into endurance sports, I'd love to see how you manage your dietary needs as well.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I plan to head towards a vegan lifestyle eventually, but I still eat eggs, dairy and fish (I'm just thinking what I ate recently and there were marshmallows in there, too). Guess I have a long way to go. I'm happy to share vegan recipes if you all are happy to share them with me, too. If any of you are into endurance sports, I'd love to see how you manage your dietary needs as well.

I've been vegan for nine years and I run regularly (about 30 miles a week). My diet is about 60% carbohydrates. I don't do low fat because I have found that the fat helps me with my energy and satiety. I don't find it particularly difficult to meet my needs, but I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Plan on going vegan next week, when we do our shopping. I'm nervous and excited about it, have no clue how to make it work on a very very (very) low budget but I have to try. Would love for some of you guys to add me, it'd be nice to have someone to throw questions at lol
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Plan on going vegan next week, when we do our shopping. I'm nervous and excited about it, have no clue how to make it work on a very very (very) low budget but I have to try. Would love for some of you guys to add me, it'd be nice to have someone to throw questions at lol
    Potatoes, lentils, beans(dry or canned), veggies (frozen spinach, kale, cauliflower, broccoli are particularly cheap), fruits, rice, pasta, oatmeal etc. All these are cheap as long as you don't insist on buying organic (Nutritionally same as conventionally grown produce). I seriously don't know what foods are cheaper than these.

Just don't fall for processed vegan junk food and just buy whole foods.
  • singingmommy25
    Options
    Potatoes, lentils, beans(dry or canned), veggies (frozen spinach, kale, cauliflower, broccoli are particularly cheap), fruits, rice, pasta, oatmeal etc. All these are cheap as long as you don't insist on buying organic (Nutritionally same as conventionally grown produce). I seriously don't know what foods are cheaper than these.

Just don't fall for processed vegan junk food and just buy whole foods.

I agree! Canned (or dry, if you're patient) beans, brown rice, and fresh fruits and veggies are definitely not expensive items. Keep things on the cheap side by sticking to the perimeter of the grocery store instead of the inner aisles where the processed junk lives. You get better and better as you practice, and it's so very worth the extra effort!
  • lilyhollissando
    lilyhollissando Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hiii I've been vegan for almost 6 years - lost about 8kg when I first made the switch then gained about 20kg when I went through some tough times. Now I'm back down below what I was when I first switched (>6 kilos lighter than I was when I lost that original 8kg) and eating better than ever!! Feel free to add me :)
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Heya everybody :)

Such a great discussion to find! Congratulations to all that are vegan or vegan-friendly! My current social circle does not have anyone with a similar lifestyle but most of them are very open to it and love to go places with me to explore me-friendly cuisine - from a tiny shack in Scotland to a five course meal in Seattle. It is always an adventure!

Would really like to connect with some people on here so please feel free to add me :)
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning to vegan. It's probably going to be a long transition (I'm pescatarian now, but determined to work my way to the real deal), but I'd love to be friends with fellow vegans and see what everyone else eats! Please feel free to add me as a friend :)