Lifting for the Ladies

Options
Hi, MFP! I throw myself on your mercy for advice on a topic about which I know very litte...

I have been doing crazy cardio the last few months, but I really want to work on strengthening my muscles. I run better when my leg muscles are stronger and I know, from personal experience, that it wards off injury and after-workout pain.

My problem is... What do I do? I've been doing a quick arm circuit (curls, presses, triceps) with dumbells, squats or the leg-pushy machine (see how much I know about this??) and abs on a machine or on the ball with a medicine ball. I am way too uncoordinated to do the free weight bar bench lifting (I would totally drop it on my head, even if I had a spotter, which I don't) so I like to stick with the machines. I'm not necessarily looking for tone because I'm still covered with a lovely layer of fat, but I like to feel STRONG, you know?

Anyone have suggestions for lifting for weight loss but not necessarily muscle mass gain? I'm not worried about getting bulky, but my ultimate goal is to be a good runner, so gaining weight, even if it's muscle, will be counter-productive for my hips and knees. Which exercises should I do and how often?

Thank you! Your guidance would be much appreciated.

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is a pretty great website that outlines complete routines based on your goals. I think you can enter your sex, age, and whether you want to tone or lose fat, and it will give you what exercises to do on what days, how many reps, etc. I printed out a routine to do once I start to go to the gym. I work out at home right now but plan to use it soon.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Go as heavy as you can with as many controlled reps as you can. Don't do sloppy movements. Make sure you keep your form and slow pase throughout the entire workout. To do heavy you should only be able to do between 8 to 12 reps comfortably. If you can do more bump up your weights. I always do back to back exercises. Example chest and back and repeat until I got all 3 sets in. I never rest between sets. I hope this helps. You can check out scoobysworkshop.com for proper form videos or puchase the book the new rules of lifting for women. I bought the book haven't really read much of it yet, but it's a highly recommended book.
  • ibetsey
    ibetsey Posts: 6
    Options
    Oh! Neat! Thanks for the link!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Weight Training isn't about how much you can, or are lifting so long as you're concentrating on using proper form, technique and full range of motion for whatever exercise you are performing.

As you're already doing a circuit type workout, I would suggest enlisting the help of someone who works at your gym to better explain the functional movements behind the machines you are doing, so that you can better focus on the muscles you're trying to work with each.

I've encountered alot of people who simply go through the motions (Eg. "I do this machine...then I do that one...then I go on to the leg thingy" etc.) with no real clear understanding as to what they are doing and why.

Engaging a consultant at your gym will be able to explain the fundamentals to you with hands on demonstration which will be far better than any textual information or web references you can likely find here.

That being said, from your message above, you seem to be working alot of your smaller muscles (arms/abs) without anything of the larger primary muscles (Chest/back).

If you feel intimidated or uncoordinated by free weights, then how about pushups, pullups, squats and lunges? You can do alot with just your body weight which in many cases forces you to work even harder than using machines and/or free weights.

Cheers!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you want a great DVD program for weightlifting I recommend Chalean Extreme. You will have to by adjustable weights (any maybe a spotter standing by) but I really like this program and I've only being doing it for a week.