Maintaining weight, how to avoid late night snacks?

Options
13»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Same as when losing... I don't. But it's relatively easy for me I guess, I know it's just a couple hours then I'll sleep and get to eat in the morning, so even when I'm hungry I can ignore it.

+1, although it looks like we're in the minority on this thread. I was thinking about this thread today, wondering why hunger after dinner doesn't bother me. I do have snacks, but I prefer them during the day. If I prelogged I'd probably be ok with an evening snack, but my experience with after dinner snacking is it gets out of hand. I guess my self control gets tired towards the end of the day. It's mentally easier for me to stop thinking about food after dinner.
  • Detroitcity86
    Detroitcity86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Same as when losing... I don't. But it's relatively easy for me I guess, I know it's just a couple hours then I'll sleep and get to eat in the morning, so even when I'm hungry I can ignore it.

+1, although it looks like we're in the minority on this thread. I was thinking about this thread today, wondering why hunger after dinner doesn't bother me. I do have snacks, but I prefer them during the day. If I prelogged I'd probably be ok with an evening snack, but my experience with after dinner snacking is it gets out of hand. I guess my self control gets tired towards the end of the day. It's mentally easier for me to stop thinking about food after dinner.
    I completely agree, maybe it's just bcuz after being cautious of what we eat ALL day, by night time we're like "F@&# it" I'm still trying to do better though.

• wherethetrailends35
    wherethetrailends35 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    what they all said
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I used to never ever snack or have dessert after dinner and that was working well for me (didn't feel any particularly strong craving for it), but my mom has the biggest sweet tooth EVER and never stops buying new ice cream pots or cakes or very indulgent desserts everyday/every week...and eats a lot of it all the time. At some point you just really get tired of having all those things shoved up in your face constantly...and you give in. I've always been very reasonnable with my portions and don't necessarily have dessert every night but it happens quite often now (especially because my birthday was not so long ago and we have tons of leftover cakes around). I just eat normally during the day and try to leave a little 100-250 calories wiggle room for dessert, just so i don't feel *kitten* and deprived when i see my mother digging out the ice cream from the freezer at 9-10pm when i had a long day on top of exercice (and could use a treat). Plus, i may be a health nut, but to be totally honest a little sweet really feels great from time to time. As long as i ate well and fulfilled my nutritional needs that day, and that i feel a little hungry or not completely bloated from my last meal, it can't hurt me much so I allow myself some.
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I save calories for my nightly snack. I love my coffee after a long day and tend to have a healthy snack with it.
  • bevetly97
    bevetly97 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a night snack person I know it is partially due to pain levels, which I am working on with my doctor.
    Now I will work hard to try save some calories. I realize that when stress hits I tend to overeat.
    I usually compensate by eating less the next day and walking more.
  • lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here already. I leave calories for a snack at night, usually an 80-cal yogurt, a slice of cheese, or some nuts. It helps me to prevent the really late night snacking if I move away from the kitchen earlier in the evening. Even if I am going to stay awake and watch TV or read, if I leave the family room (which is off my kitchen) by 10 pm and relocate to bed in my pajamas, I never go back to the kitchen. When I'm too close to the forbidden snacks, I am much more likely to indulge at midnight.
  • high_carb_daisy
    high_carb_daisy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im the same! Am always hungrier at night, I find if I eat my dinner a bit later than usual (say an hour or two later) then am not inclined to snack so much. And like others said, dont deny yourself food! I have often 300 calories plus before bed, usually sweets like dried fruit, and losing weight :smile: good luck and hope you keep maintaining!
  • Detroitcity86
    Options
    I used to never ever snack or have dessert after dinner and that was working well for me (didn't feel any particularly strong craving for it), but my mom has the biggest sweet tooth EVER and never stops buying new ice cream pots or cakes or very indulgent desserts everyday/every week...and eats a lot of it all the time. At some point you just really get tired of having all those things shoved up in your face constantly...and you give in. I've always been very reasonnable with my portions and don't necessarily have dessert every night but it happens quite often now (especially because my birthday was not so long ago and we have tons of leftover cakes around). I just eat normally during the day and try to leave a little 100-250 calories wiggle room for dessert, just so i don't feel *kitten* and deprived when i see my mother digging out the ice cream from the freezer at 9-10pm when i had a long day on top of exercice (and could use a treat). Plus, i may be a health nut, but to be totally honest a little sweet really feels great from time to time. As long as i ate well and fulfilled my nutritional needs that day, and that i feel a little hungry or not completely bloated from my last meal, it can't hurt me much so I allow myself some.
    Thanks! I live with a junk food junkie lol it does make it hard,but not impossible! Thanks

• Detroitcity86
    Options
    Thanks guys