Down 40lbs in 11wks

Options

Replies

• bpaolina
    bpaolina Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    bpaolina wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I don't like the direction this going. I just posted this to be positive :) I appreciate all advice and criticism and knowledge anyone can share! I'm no health expert but I'm just doing my thing and will adjust as I learn.

Thanks for anything you want to share :)

They're just trying to inform you so you can make wiser choices.

The MINIMUM recommended amount of calories for a guy is 1500 calories. That allows you enough calories to get adequate nutrition for your body to perform its basic functions (breathing, digestion, etc.). Eating below 1500 is not healthy and can cause you to lose muscle mass.

As for the gaining muscle: highly unlikely. To build muscle, you need something to build it out of. Eating in a deficit (which is required to lose weight) does not give your body the "something" (AKA calories) it needs to build muscle. Your body needs an excess of calories to build muscle, which is why people bulk when they want to build muscle. You may be looking leaner and like you're growing muscles, but this can be attributed to the loss of fat. When you have less fat on top of your muscles, you look like you have more muscle.

Congrats on your loss so far.

I am glad they are informing me, believe me I need it.
    I very much appreciate it!
    Thank you
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on nutrition?

Calories? protein/carb/fat ratio?

I'm 6ft 245lbs

Just want to be a healthy 27 year old and lose the extra fat I'm carrying...

You're a first class WINNER & all time CHAMPION, period. o:) Congrats on your excellent work as well sir B)

• bpaolina
    Options

I'm 6ft 245lbs

You're a first class WINNER & all time CHAMPION, period. o:) Congrats on your excellent work as well sir B)

Thank you!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

I'm 6ft 245lbs

For calories, I would start with the MFP suggestion. Put in your stats correctly, select a reasonable weight loss goal, and eat that number of calories.
    Reasonable weight loss goals based on how much weight you want to lose:
    0.5 pounds per week for less than 25 pounds
    1 pound per week for 25-50 pounds
    1.5 pounds per week for 50-75 pounds
    2 pounds per week for 75+ pounds

As for macros, what I personally follow:
    0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight OR 1 gram per pound of lean body mass
    0.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight
    Everything else is carbs

So, with that outline above, here is what my goals and breakdowns are for 2000 calories a day:
    150 grams of protein (30%)
    70 grams of fat (30%)
    200 grams of carbs (40%)

But those are just recommendations. You should play with your percentages and find out what keeps you most satisfied. Everyone is different. Some people feel fuller eating more fat and less carbs. Others prefer more protein and carbs than fat. Whatever works for you is what you should do because you're more apt to stick with it then.
  • justinc91
    justinc91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I'm 6ft 245lbs

• ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    awesome.
  • justinc91
    justinc91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah bro I did same thing you did and lost up to 60 lbs and lost tons of muscle what I would recommend is still eating at a deficit maybe 2000 call at least but you have to eat back your calories from gym and eat lots of protein that way you maintain muscle mass
  • Dangerkitty79
    Dangerkitty79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss and the Strength, courage and determination to change your life for the better. I think the advice you are getting from posting your success is a bonus. Take it as positive advice and use it to help yourself to further help you reach "YOUR" goals. Good luck and again, Congrats on your success. Thanks for sharing!!! ☺
  • bpaolina
    Options
    Congrats on the loss and the Strength, courage and determination to change your life for the better. I think the advice you are getting from posting your success is a bonus. Take it as positive advice and use it to help yourself to further help you reach "YOUR" goals. Good luck and again, Congrats on your success. Thanks for sharing!!! ☺

Thanks! This is such an amazing community of people. Getting heathy and changing my life for the better is the best decision I could have ever made.
  • bpaolina
    Options
    justinc91 wrote: »
    Yeah bro I did same thing you did and lost up to 60 lbs and lost tons of muscle what I would recommend is still eating at a deficit maybe 2000 call at least but you have to eat back your calories from gym and eat lots of protein that way you maintain muscle mass

Thanks for the advice and congrats on your weight loss as well!
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress so far! I'm sorry some people choose to be rude but your accomplishments do deserve praise, so go you! Good luck in your journey ahead :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress so far! I'm sorry some people choose to be rude but your accomplishments do deserve praise, so go you! Good luck in your journey ahead :)

People aren't being rude. They're telling him that he's under eating. If I came on here and said that I'd lost heaps of weight quickly by only eating 500 calories a day and running heaps, would you congratulate me or tell me to be careful? Because that's the equivalent of what he's doing. It's fantastic that he's committed but but he can get the same results by eating a more appropriate amount for his height/frame.
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options

People aren't being rude. They're telling him that he's under eating. If I came on here and said that I'd lost heaps of weight quickly by only eating 500 calories a day and running heaps, would you congratulate me or tell me to be careful? Because that's the equivalent of what he's doing. It's fantastic that he's committed but but he can get the same results by eating a more appropriate amount for his height/frame.

I didn't say everyone was being rude, its fine to offer constructive advice. I saw a few comments in particular that were not helpful at all.

Also, I think you're over exaggerating his deficit. I don't know if OP weighs all of his food or not but a big concern on MFP is underestimating calorie intake and overestimating calories burned so maybe his deficit isn't as big as you think it is.

It is fantastic that OP's committed, that's where a LOT of people struggle, so yes I still think he deserves congratulations.
  • bpaolina
    Options

Thank you :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    To the OP:

If you truly are eating around 1200 cals per day, you are robbing your body of vital energy and nutrients. As others have stated, 1500 is the lowest recommended daily caloric intake for males. The 1200 you're apparently currently eating is the minimum recommended *for women.*

Please reconsider what you're doing. Why are you in such a rush when it will cost you in the long run? You didn't get overweight overnight, and it's unreasonable to expect it to come off that quickly. :)

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I don't like the direction this going. I just posted this to be positive :) I appreciate all advice and criticism and knowledge anyone can share! I'm no health expert but I'm just doing my thing and will adjust as I learn.

Thanks for anything you want to share :)

They're just trying to inform you so you can make wiser choices.

The MINIMUM recommended amount of calories for a guy is 1500 calories. That allows you enough calories to get adequate nutrition for your body to perform its basic functions (breathing, digestion, etc.). Eating below 1500 is not healthy and can cause you to lose muscle mass.

As for the gaining muscle: highly unlikely. To build muscle, you need something to build it out of. Eating in a deficit (which is required to lose weight) does not give your body the "something" (AKA calories) it needs to build muscle. Your body needs an excess of calories to build muscle, which is why people bulk when they want to build muscle. You may be looking leaner and like you're growing muscles, but this can be attributed to the loss of fat. When you have less fat on top of your muscles, you look like you have more muscle.

Congrats on your loss so far.

I am glad they are informing me, believe me I need it.
    I very much appreciate it!
    Thank you

Since you've stated you need some help, this is a great starting place:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And congrats on your success so far!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. I also think you should eat more though. I'm all for losing weight fast, but you don't want it to be too fast either.

I was 220lb at 5'11". I ate 1720 calories/day and did a poor job eating back exercise calories. My goal was 2lb/week, but I ended up doing ~2.3lb/week for 2 months. I'm stronger than when I started, but was starving at a little over 2 months in. I'm now eating 1860 and doing a better job of eating back exercise calories. My goal now is 1.5lb/week, but I'm still losing faster. I think my activity level has gone up (outside of exercise) and I haven't accounted for it yet. I actually think that I'm near the peak for squatting until I start eating at a surplus. I can probably go up a tiny bit more, but the gains aren't coming like they did when I first started (I'm doing 5x5 with 1.2x my current weight)

I would probably go with a goal of 2lb/week and eat back exercise calories since you still have a decent way to go. It would be 1/2 the rate you going now, but you would lose less muscle. As you continue to drop weight you can drop it to 1.5lb, then 1lb and finish out the losing weight portion.

As for building muscle, you may have (you can build muscle due to newbie gains or being obese with fat to spare), but if you continue to eat at that big of a deficit you will lose muscle.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

If you truly are eating around 1200 cals per day, you are robbing your body of vital energy and nutrients. As others have stated, 1500 is the lowest recommended daily caloric intake for males. The 1200 you're apparently currently eating is the minimum recommended *for women.*

Please reconsider what you're doing. Why are you in such a rush when it will cost you in the long run? You didn't get overweight overnight, and it's unreasonable to expect it to come off that quickly. :)

^^^This.

At your Age/Ht/Wt and eating only 1500-1200 calories, you're at TDEE -60 to -65%. It doesn't matter what you're eating or lifting, you're going to run into issues with lost LBM at such a drastic cut. And honestly...honestly set yourself up for a crash.

Good luck in your endeavors.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far!

It's generally safe for some people paying a close eye to nutrition to lose at an accelerated rate of 1% of bodyweight per week, and your loss exceeds that.

The concern is that one's body can only oxidize so much fat at a time, and when you lose too quickly, what's lost above that threshold is muscle mass.

The other concern is a far reaching one. Most of the research done on adaptive thermogenesis showing such drastically reduced maintenance calorie needs vs. predicted outcomes for the formerly obese has been done on subjects who lost weight using very low calorie approaches. Fast doesn't always equal smart.

It's most important when you're dieting to pay attention to getting enough protein - .6 to .8 grams per pound of bodyweight a day, and fat - .35 to .45 grams per pound of bodyweight a day. The rest of your caloric intake can be filled in with carbs. A diet based on these criteria and a fitness regimen that includes some sort of resistance program will help you preserve muscle mass.

Since your current weight is 245, slow down your loss so you're not losing more than 2 pounds or so a week. That's still a pretty fast clip, but it's safe if you're getting really top notch nutrition.

Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'd second what Carol says, above. Weight loss can be very quick at first, when you have a lot to lose. After a while, to stay on the track to safe, healthy weight loss, it's a good idea to slow it down to 2 lbs. per week.
    Congrats on what you've done so far - now it's time to slow it down a bit and get on the lifelong road. Remember, it's not a race, it's a journey. Do it the right and safe way and you'll always be glad that you did.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!