Naturally occurring sugars

Options
2»

Replies

• carolineloves
    carolineloves Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Personally, I would like to limit my intake of added/refined sugars as a step towards better, cleaner eating. My reasons for doing so aren't groundless.

In that you seem to have misunderstood, I don't think saying "the number isn't so important, but understanding your diet and where your sugar is coming from is" is saying that one should not limit added sugars (although if you think honey or juice are totally different or that the context for added sugar doesn't matter I'd again refer you to the WHO). Nor is it saying that one shouldn't be concerned with nutrition (although I think the term "clean eating" is ridiculous). I would argue instead that understanding your diet rather than focusing on added vs. not or mere numbers is related to being able to create a more nutritionally solid diet overall. It's about understanding the foods you are eating and what they contribute, being choosy.

I hear you. And I agree, it's important to be nutritionally aware of the food you eat. For me, in addition to understanding nutrition, I like tracking numbers. I like being able to see math involved. Everyone has their own way of gauging their health and nutrition, and this happens to be mine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Before I started using MFP again, I was logging my diet on my own. I wouldn't include naturally occurring sugars in my diary (my goal was set at 30 g), but on MFP it's automatically logged (I increased my goal to 60 g to take into consideration). I've thought about just creating a new food without adding the NOS, but don't know if it's appropriate.

Suggestions? Advice?

I just drastically reduced baked goods and don't need to fuss with sugar. I don't go over unless I do eat baked goods in addition to fruits and such with naturally occurring sugars.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I guess I should clarify. I'm not just focusing on my sugar intake; I look at my diet as a whole. I'm not the type of person to eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calorie limit. I follow my set macros very carefully, but along with that I track my sodium (HBP runs in my family), cholesterol, sugar, and fiber.

Personally, I would like to limit my intake of added/refined sugars as a step towards better, cleaner eating. My reasons for doing so aren't groundless.

Thanks for all your help!

Nothing wrong with that if that is your preference. Personally, I would not further muddy the database with entries that list only natural sugar in the sugar column, but I suppose it's no different than those that create entries with net carbs in the carbs column. ::grumble::
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

In that you seem to have misunderstood, I don't think saying "the number isn't so important, but understanding your diet and where your sugar is coming from is" is saying that one should not limit added sugars (although if you think honey or juice are totally different or that the context for added sugar doesn't matter I'd again refer you to the WHO). Nor is it saying that one shouldn't be concerned with nutrition (although I think the term "clean eating" is ridiculous). I would argue instead that understanding your diet rather than focusing on added vs. not or mere numbers is related to being able to create a more nutritionally solid diet overall. It's about understanding the foods you are eating and what they contribute, being choosy.

I hear you. And I agree, it's important to be nutritionally aware of the food you eat. For me, in addition to understanding nutrition, I like tracking numbers. I like being able to see math involved. Everyone has their own way of gauging their health and nutrition, and this happens to be mine.

Sure -- I like tracking numbers too, although not that one. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't misunderstanding what was being said.