Other 20 something college bound females?

Options
hello! I am going into third year and during my first I gained the freshman 15 and during my second I gained 10. I lost most of it this summer but I still have a ways to go before I am at my ideal weight. I was hoping to find other people who went through a similar situation and how to beat back to school weight gain.

Anyone feel free to add me, it's great to have such a good support system.

Replies

• vcarpbiz2014
    vcarpbiz2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Been there! Still there lol. If your drink in you need to look into how many calories and carbs are in each drink! You will be surprised!!!! also the stress makes you eat more! Find something else like walkimg or (this may sound crazy) coloring. They make adult coloring books as a stress relief method.

What diet are you doing?
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Been there! Still there lol. If your drink in you need to look into how many calories and carbs are in each drink! You will be surprised!!!! also the stress makes you eat more! Find something else like walkimg or (this may sound crazy) coloring. They make adult coloring books as a stress relief method.

What diet are you doing?

Omg my friend has one of the adult colouring books! Lol she loves it. And I actually quit drinking when I started to lose weight so that won't be an issue either.

I'm not really on a specific "diet" I just try to do 20 min of cardio a day, strength train 6 times a week and eat between 1500-1700 cals. I've lost 18 pounds since end of April doing that
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The best piece of advice I can give is bring food with you as much as you can. I commuted and gained a lot of weight because I was constantly eating on the go or binge eating when I got home because I didn't eat throughout the day.
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »
    The best piece of advice I can give is bring food with you as much as you can. I commuted and gained a lot of weight because I was constantly eating on the go or binge eating when I got home because I didn't eat throughout the day.

Good advice!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When I switched from college to university last year I stopped mfp (like an idiot), and gained 10 pounds back of the 42 pounds I had lost through mfp before stopping. My advice is to stick with mfp, if it means bringing your own food so you can track accurately then bring your own food. If your college has nutrition information available then you can select foods from that. Also, some colleges have chain restaurants (mine has Starbucks, Time Horton's, subway and Pizza Hut for example). Those chains will have nutrition information posted.

On my senior year now and I will not be making the mistake of stopping mfp again. Lesson learned.

Preferably pack/bring your own snack but almost all vending machine food has bar codes for you to scan that will add the food to the food diary. Double check the accuracy of the information though because mfp is full of crap sometimes (even with barcode scanning).

It is much cheaper to bringing your own food anyway (and usually better lol).
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i drank a ton in college and was able to maintain a steady size 4 for some reason all 4 years. however i had the time and energy to work out at least 3 days a week and made an effort to walk to school even when i lived off campus (i lived close enough it was only about 15 min, nothing crazy). the only thing i can think of food-wise that helped me maintain was that i didn't eat a lot of fast food or greasy stuff. in fact, i remember cooking quite a bit in college. when i did eat out, i didn't order appetizers or chose the fried stuff.

just stay active and be smart :) and for the love of god, stay in college as long as possible. adulthood is a sham.
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    i drank a ton in college and was able to maintain a steady size 4 for some reason all 4 years. however i had the time and energy to work out at least 3 days a week and made an effort to walk to school even when i lived off campus (i lived close enough it was only about 15 min, nothing crazy). the only thing i can think of food-wise that helped me maintain was that i didn't eat a lot of fast food or greasy stuff. in fact, i remember cooking quite a bit in college. when i did eat out, i didn't order appetizers or chose the fried stuff.

just stay active and be smart :) and for the love of god, stay in college as long as possible. adulthood is a sham.

Omg my program is only 4 years and I'm going into 3rd LOL your last bit of advice tho hahahahah

Thank you both!
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and I would've been in my 2nd year of uni if I hadn't quit lol (fine arts = not for me). When I started I gained a few kilos, I think mainly because I used to walk past a bakery on my commute :p

I'm going to study my nursing degree next year, which is a big part of why I want to lose weight now.
  • eringrace95_
    Options
    I'm 20 and I would've been in my 2nd year of uni if I hadn't quit lol (fine arts = not for me). When I started I gained a few kilos, I think mainly because I used to walk past a bakery on my commute :p

I'm going to study my nursing degree next year, which is a big part of why I want to lose weight now.

Nice!! Good luck.