Need Advice.cardio & Weights

Options
Hi
Im getting married in 15 weeks. I have been trying to eat higher protein foods and lower (no)carbs.At the gym i have stopped staying on cardio machines for the whole hour, I have started doing the weight machines and free weights. I have noticed inch loss not on scales.
I plan to maybe increase the cardio a little maybe do 30 mins and still do weights.
A friend has told me he thinks i will just bulk up as i have a big frame :'( if i continue with weights. He said my legs have gotten more bulky(which i actually was starting to like).
Im confused, should i take his advise and stick to cardio or is he just old fashioned in his approach. ?

Replies

• davedavis
    davedavis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You will not bulk up unless you do low weights and few weights for a man or woman. If you do higher reps with lower weight if necessary to keep exactly proper form you will build lean muscle. If you eat more protein and a healthy lower calorie diet overall, you will also lose fat.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    You'll only bulk if you are eating to gain weight (eating at a surplus). If you are eating at a deficit you will not bulk.

Also, low reps don't make you bulky.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You'll only bulk if you are eating to gain weight (eating at a surplus). If you are eating at a deficit you will not bulk.

Also, low reps don't make you bulky.

^^^ This
    davedavis wrote: »
    You will not bulk up unless you do low weights and few weights for a man or woman. If you do higher reps with lower weight if necessary to keep exactly proper form you will build lean muscle. If you eat more protein and a healthy lower calorie diet overall, you will also lose fat.

^^^ NOT This
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, you only need a calorie deficit. And if you're losing inches then who cares if the scale isn't moving? Eat protein to retain muscle. Carbs will not hinder any of this. Deficit is a deficit.

If you are trying to put on muscle, then you need to lift heavy and eat at a surplus.

If you're trying to do both you need to be eating at maintenance and lifting heavy. But, not much will change in 15 weeks recomp wise. It's a very long process.

People don't just bulk because they have large frames. It takes a surplus and consistent, hard work.
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ails11 wrote: »
    He said my legs have gotten more bulky(which i actually was starting to like).

It's what YOU think of your body that counts! Muscle definition does not equal bulk. If you eat at a deficit and KEEP lifting, your legs will look slimmer and stronger. Not sure how much in 15 weeks, but this is not a race.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way....the more muscle you build, the more calories you burn without doing anything. More calories burned equals less fat. Muscle is not bulky, it's sexy! It is rather difficult for women to get "bulky", even with heavy lifting. I lift relatively heavy, and am still losing weight and building lean muscle. I am an advocate for women lifting, and I love the New Rules of Lifting for Women program! You should definitely look into it! Good luck with your fitness and wedding!! :smile:
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tauny78 wrote: »
    Look at it this way....the more muscle you build, the more calories you burn without doing anything. More calories burned equals less fat. Muscle is not bulky, it's sexy! It is rather difficult for women to get "bulky", even with heavy lifting. I lift relatively heavy, and am still losing weight and building lean muscle. I am an advocate for women lifting, and I love the New Rules of Lifting for Women program! You should definitely look into it! Good luck with your fitness and wedding!! :smile:

Lil' bitta nope in your post.

The amount of muscle which would need to be gained to burn a significant amount of fat is pretty big.

How are you so sure you're building muscle while in a deficit? As you said, it's hard for a woman to build muscle... especially in a deficit. What is lean muscle? Is there fatty muscle too?

Are you confusing strength with muscle gain?
  • tauny78
    Options
    [/quote]

The amount of muscle which would need to be gained to burn a significant amount of fat is pretty big.

How are you so sure you're building muscle while in a deficit? As you said, it's hard for a woman to build muscle... especially in a deficit. What is lean muscle? Is there fatty muscle too?

Are you confusing strength with muscle gain?[/quote]

I know I am building muscle not just strength (although my strength has greatly increased) because I can SEE that I'm building muscle. I didn't say that muscle burns fat, I said it burns more calories, which will help in losing fat. I also didn't say it was difficult for women to build muscle, I said it was difficult for women to get "bulky". I also never stated that I was in a deficit...I eat plenty to help build some muscle but not so much to put on fat. Mostly I eat close to maintenance. And...by lean muscle I just meant not bulky like a lot of people fear women will get when they lift heavy.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    tauny78 wrote: »

Are you confusing strength with muscle gain?[/quote]

I know I am building muscle not just strength (although my strength has greatly increased) because I can SEE that I'm building muscle. I didn't say that muscle burns fat, I said it burns more calories, which will help in losing fat. I also didn't say it was difficult for women to build muscle, I said it was difficult for women to get "bulky". I also never stated that I was in a deficit...I eat plenty to help build some muscle but not so much to put on fat. Mostly I eat close to maintenance. And...by lean muscle I just meant not bulky like a lot of people fear women will get when they lift heavy.
    [/quote]

I am just going to say I am happy that you are happy with your progress, but don't think you fully grasp the principles behind your progress.
  • tauny78
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what principles am I failing to grasp? After that, I promise I will no longer hi-jack the OP thread :smile: