Please share workout tips for the girl who hates to work out!

Options
Hi guys ,
Brand new here!
My name is Sarah and I am looking for tips on how to burn fat and tone stomach(PCOS carry alot of weight there) and strengthen my legs!
I need to lose about about 60lbs
Any advice would be great and much appreciated!
Thank you!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Well if you have working out... is there any point of us giving you tips?
  • smaverick010
    smaverick010 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Of course! I am willing to do it- just don't like it- yet!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Of course! I am willing to do it- just don't like it- yet!

Then go do it instead of asking for tips...
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Lose weight through a calorie deficit (can be 100% in the kitchen) and do whatever do enjoy as an activity. You can't spot reduce so you just have to lose all over and have the weight come off where it will. If you can find a way, do some weight training to retain muscle while you lose.
  • smaverick010
    Options
    Cool. Thanks for your imput!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I like riding my bike...that would be my suggestion...get a nice bike and ride your *kitten* off.
  • smaverick010
    Options
    You know I put in all my stuff on MFP and it gave me a daily calorie intake of 1296....that seems really low to me? I agree its mostly a food thing!
  • smaverick010
    Options
    I have thought about getting a bike! Do you have a spin bike or riding outside?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Cardio will help you burn calories to lose the fat. Strength training will help with your muscle definition. Since you say you are new to working out, I would look for a video that combines cardio with light weights. The variety will help you decide what types of exercise you prefer and it's also a good intro to using weights. You only need light dumbells to start off with. 30Day Shred is a popular one. I have also seen a lot of people mention Fitness Blender, but I have no experience with that.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Weight loss will come from eating at a deficit.
    That being said, exercise has major benefits too. My advice is to try out a bunch of different things until you find something you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you're more likely to stick with it. Some uncommon things to try:
    -trampoline park
    -stand up paddleboarding
    -zumba
    -kayaking/ canoeing
    -rock climbing

If you have a local community centre, they tend to put on inexpensive classes which gives you chance to try many things without breaking the bank.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. I HATE cardio. So today, instead of forcing myself to do something I hate-I researched buying a bike, because I could get down with that, plus I could use it to go on adventures. But really, I should have sucked it up and done some cardio anyway :)
  • smaverick010
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Find something you like. I HATE cardio. So today, instead of forcing myself to do something I hate-I researched buying a bike, because I could get down with that, plus I could use it to go on adventures. But really, I should have sucked it up and done some cardio anyway :)

Ha! I have also though of a bike!

Do you have any tips are starting lifting (even if its just baby strength training with dumbbells. For at home mostly not ready to invest in gym membership)???? :)

• mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you don't need to work out unless you find that you truly enjoy it. But what you definitely need to do is change your Sedentary lifestyle to an Active lifestyle. For instance, I started riding my bike or walking to complete local errands (within a couple or so miles from home). I walked up stairwells instead of using an escalator or elevator. I stopped watching TV altogether, and I refused to allow myself to sit down until I went to bed for the evening. I carried a camera with me to take pics of interesting stuff I saw on walks through the hood, the mall, or the woods so I remained focused (pun intended) on something other than working out. If you will walk five miles a day (about two hours) and/or ride a bike about 10 miles a day (about one hour) during the next month or two, your fat and flab will disappear pretty quickly and your stomach, legs, and butt will firm up quite a lot without a real gym workout. After two months of going Active, you can note your progress and re-evaluate if you want to take your exercise activities to the next level of effort or just remain completely active with walking and cycling to complete errands (rather than driving your car).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try doing lots of activities and keep doing the things you love. Lose weight by eating at a deficit. When you find an activity you enjoy, there will be strength and stretching exercises that will help you with your adopted sport. Do you like doing stuff alone or part of a team?

You can do baby strength training by filling an empty gallon milk jug halfway with water and taping it shut.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/

Put on some Sevillanas music, grab some soup cans and shake those cans around the kitchen.
  • smaverick010
    Options
    Thanks guys! My fitness pal is saying 1230 daily calorie intake....does that seem low?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    How much are you planning on losing a week?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I have thought about getting a bike! Do you have a spin bike or riding outside?

I spin occasionally in the winter but primarily ride road...I ride roughly 80 miles per week; more when I'm training for an event. I also hit the weight room 2-3x per week. I usually do a 5K or some interval running at least once per week to cross train
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Ha! I have also though of a bike!

Do you have any tips are starting lifting (even if its just baby strength training with dumbbells. For at home mostly not ready to invest in gym membership)???? :)

At home, you can research "full body dumbbell" programs and start with what you have. The thing is, eventually you are going to want a program that allows for a progressive overload-weights getting consistently heavier. Also, higher weight and lower reps are really best in a deficit, so if you have light dumbbells and don't want to go to the gym yet, I suggest body weight routines which can help you maintain lean body mass as well. You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, and the beginner bodyweight routine on www.nerfitness.com are places to look.
  • smaverick010
    Options
    I put in 2lbs a week?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Put in 0.5 pounds a week. That will be more sustainable and will give you more calories every day. As you add exercise you get more calories, too.