Anyone take a "maintenance break" before you hit your goal?

Options
I'm about half way there... need to lose another 25 lbs. I'm feeling kind of burned out. Would it be detrimental to "practice maintenance" for a month or so? I'm thinking I'll take some time off in September and again between US Thanksgiving and Christmas.

FWIW, "practicing maintenance" would still mean tracking and exercising, but perhaps not as obsessively... allowing myself a little more freedom. My plan isn't restrictive; I'm intentionally trying to eat as much as I can and still lose so that I don't feel deprived - and I don't! I think its the fitness demands I'm putting on myself that are bothering me more than my eating.

Should I post this on another board?

Thanks!

Replies

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you really aren't being restrictive, there would be little reason for a break.

If you're doing something that will be sustainable for life, I doubt that you'd say you were getting burned out.
  • lalahos
    lalahos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. You want to take a break from obsessing about everything you eat for a little bit. I would suggest you take a break from tracking, continue to eat healthy portions, and see what happens on the scale. That will let you know if your eating patterns have stabilized enough that you don't need to keep tracking all the time in order to maintain your weight. It's okay to take a mental break :).
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Maybe...

I'm not hungry; I'm tired of thinking about food and exercise all day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Some people have maintenance breaks if they need a break from eating at deficit, perhaps your deficit is too large and you're not fuelling your body enough which can leads to that burned out/lack of energy feeling.

If you are over doing the workouts, and your body is telling you that then of course you need to take a break, even for a week.

Are you having rest days etc?
  • bindiw
    bindiw Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I totally get it! Halfway there myself. Hit a plateau. Needed a break from thinking about and logging every morsel and every exercise. Stayed eating healthy though, and the break helped! Just make sure you at least log in everyday, cuz it bumped me back to a zero streak and now I'm a little bummed. Because my journey IS ongoing and I just needed to obsess a little less ;)
  • janiep81
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't think I need a break from eating a deficit; I eat a lot (I think)... my goal is like 1520 cals/day and I eat half of my exercise cals if I'm hungry. Many days I eat near 1800 calories and that feels fine.

I think I'm bored with my workout plan. I run and lift. I like the results that come from heavy lifting, but I'm no gym rat. I'd rather be outside, but I don't want to "just run," and not work on my strength. Maybe I'll take a break from lifting and run a bit more.

I've lost the same 30 or so pounds so many times in my life. This is usually about the point when I feel like quitting, but I really want to get through it and see how I feel at a legitimately healthy weight.

And of course, like most people, when I stop tracking/planning, then I lost the momentum and gain again.
  • lalahos
    Options
    You could also change up your diet plan. I peaked at your food diary and noticed that you often have small amounts of sweets through the day. It makes sense to log that so you don't get off track on your calories. Maybe you could try a food challenge for the month of September where you try not to eat any carbohydrates (non veg or fruit) that have less than 2 grams of fiber per serving. I promise it won't matter what you eat for a while if you stick to this :smiley: . I like changing up what I'm doing to give myself new motivation (e.g. try a new sport!).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Don't stop tracking or planning - those are the kinds of habits that will see you get to goal and maintain it.
    Perhaps you just need a change of routine, we all do at times...
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Sounds like food wise and calorie wise you are doing ok. For exercise, why not take a "fun" break - i.e. skip the running and gym and replace it with new stuff that would not be considered "exercise" but more like "recess". Go to the batting cages one night, hit a bucket of balls at a driving range, try roller blading. You dont have to break completely from running and lifting, maybe lay out a schedule that keeps you from having to think about it much for a month. i.e Mondays is lifting - upper body. Thur is lifting - lower body. Tues is "recess" activity (20 min or more). Wed is longer run. Thur is "recess" activity (20 min or more) . Friday is moderate run. Sat/Sun is rest days, but get a 2 mile hike in someplace new. For the recess activities, create a list of 10 possibilities - 2 per week for 5 weeks. Commit to just trying each.

By spending some time in advance planning your exercise schedule, you dont have to obsess every day or week... Same as food - start preplanning every Sun night or something - even log the whole week ahead of time, then just modify with any changes that day. That makes logging take a lot less time. In fact, you could just set aside one hour per week to lay out food AND exercise for the coming week, prelog it all then just tweak each day. That might be enough of a "break" for you to keep motivation but not feel as obsessive?

In any case, dont let yourself lose the ground and control you have gained! If you choose to take any kind of break, make it a controlled one - set some parameters you have to stick to (i.e. 200 extra calories per day, one more rest day each week, etc). So it is not a "free for all". Or plan a single day where it IS a "free for all". But planned :)

Good luck!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I didn't weigh my food or start eating salad every day while I was losing weight was because I didn't want to get burned out. The only thing I really struggled with was low calorie days when I didn't have many exercise calories. My real burn out point happened when I was at about ten pounds to go. I just wanted to be done, but I knew that the only way to get done was to keep going.
  • janiep81
    Options
    Thanks for the great suggestions and insight, everyone. I will definitely try to limit the "little sweets" throughout the day. I think I will feel better. Also, I've been wanting to get into swimming and this seems like a good time. :)
  • lalahos
    Options
    Awesome! I don't know about you but I have a really hard time eating small amounts of sweet things (not including fruit). It just drives me crazy to have to have that conversation in my head about whether I can have an extra chocolate :smile:. Sometimes it's easier to just avoid it all together and when I want dessert, have an actual dessert. You may react differently to sugar though. Have fun with the swimming!
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes! I do this a lot and I feel it's really sensible to avoid burnout. It will slow things dowh but slow and steady often wins the race.
    Another thing I feel is worth doing is calculating what maintenence for your goal weight, rather than your current weight, would be, and trying eating at that for a while. It's usually only a very small difference if you're getting near but it makes for a small steady loss and gives you an idea of what to expect your eventual lifestyle eating to be- hope that makes sense x
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think you're on the right track but it doesn't sound like you need a break from logging or eating at a deficit. It seems like you need a change of routine. I definitely recommend changing your workouts and foods almost constantly so you don't get bored. Your food and work outs should be fun and something to look forward to.

That said, I took a (not-so-planned) maintenance break in July because I was so so hungry and tired of eating at a deficit. I kept up my workouts and ate the same foods, but I just ate a bit more. I logged most days, too.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    A diet break is a good idea every 3 months or so.

Read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    A diet break is a good idea every 3 months or so.

Read this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

+1 to that link

OP, if you're feeling burned out, better go ahead and take that diet break. Because you're probably going to start slipping in little unlogged bites or snacks and they're going to add up. You can be mentally fatigued, even if you aren't experiencing physical fatigue.

I continued to log during my diet breaks and I suggest you do the same, unless you can limit your break to a week. With 25 pounds left to lose, you're probably either only slightly overweight (by BMI) or are within the normal range so it's not critical that you continue to lose.

I lost my last 14 pounds eating at maintenance 2-3 days a week. It was as though, having been obese at the start, I just lost the motivation to continue on the path every day.

I always came back from my breaks ready to get back to a deficit. It took me 11 months to lose 70 pounds, so it's not like they really set me back.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can pace yourself however best meets your needs. When you say you wouldn't track as obsessively, does that mean you would skip some days, but log everything when you track, or does it mean you would log, but not necessarily include everything you eat? I think it would be better to skip some days completely, but log everything on the days you do log. If you want to eat at maintenance calories, or not log everything you eat, your rate of loss will probably slow down, so it is detrimental in that sense. But if that works best for you, that's ok.

I am 14 months into my journey, but I stopped logging after 2 1/2 months on the advice of my trainer because it was stressing me out. I eat in a very similar way every day and have a good handle on calories and portion control, so this works for me. I have lost weight EVERY month. I did log for a week in July to check up on myself, and I was right on track with calories and macros. I am probably the exception to rule and not everyone can do this successfully. But not logging does not mean you have to eat at maintenance. What you do and how is a very personal thing. Good luck!!

67388953.png
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    When I go on vacation, or out of town, I aim for maintenance. If i loose anything, it is a bonus.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have taken a bit of a "break". I am still logging everyday. I am still working hard to not overeat. Most days I eat a modest deficit but I needed a mental break.

My partner and I just moved 1500 miles across the country to a new place, and started new and more demanding jobs. The stress has been unreal. I have been eating "maintenance" for about two months. My maintenance calculations were a bit off though. I have still lost about four pounds in the last two months.

I am gearing up to go back to a larger deficit.

If you approach it from the standpoint of a "life change" it seems reasonable to go on maintenance if you need to.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I did when I went on vacations.. The first time for 5 days, and I didn't gain anything, but I still had 40 pounds to lose, and the second time last year... I was 2 pounds from my goal. Haven't been able to lose a pound since because it stimulated my appetite too much, but maybe it also has to do with the fact that I'm so close to my goal anyway...

But what I'd do in your position honestly is eat at maintenance for your goal weight. Or re-assess your fitness demands because if you're already burned out, it won't be sustainable long term anyway, and you want to find a way to make it sustainable...