Sometimes... I get REALLY excited about a salad.

Options
2»

Replies

• tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I have been making some of the best salads lately!! see below

Buffalo Blue
    Tyson Crispy buffalo strips (bake them as opposed to frying to save calories; but can use grilled chicken breast) tossed in buffalo sauce
    blue cheese crumbles
    egg
    diced tomato
    lettuce
    red onion (makes any salad go crazy)
    ranch dressing
    bacon bits

Basic Grilled
    Grilled chicken (marinade in jalapeno juice and spices)
    Lettuce
    diced tomato
    red onion
    shredded mild cheddar cheese
    egg
    bacon bits

Chipotle Mexican
    chicken
    shredded lettuce
    pico de gallo
    cheese
    sour cream
    hot salsa
    more shredded lettuce

Home made Mexican
    lettuce
    gound turkey
    shredded cheddar
    red onion
    jalepenos
    sour cream
    pico de gallo
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    For the lettuce haters, every try steams or roasted broccoli as a base? I've done that and topped with fresh tomatoes, cheese and sometimes seeds. I sometimes add lemon. Not a fan of most vinegars.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    For the lettuce haters, every try steams or roasted broccoli as a base? I've done that and topped with fresh tomatoes, cheese and sometimes seeds. I sometimes add lemon. Not a fan of most vinegars.

Whole grains (tabbouleh, anyone?) and/or beans make a great salad base too. I especially love quinoa or kasha as a salad base.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I get excited about all food all the time. I have just purchased a spirilizer and yes, I'm excited about my salad for lunch tomorrow.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I get excited about colors, and salads are the best for adding lots of different colored foods.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »

Oooh, I may try it with broccoli, that sounds yum!
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Onion, chopped tomatoes, diced red pepper, sliced red chilli, chicken tika pieces, chopped chipotles, cap full of hot chilli powder and a few forkfulls of pickled red cabbage for me tomorrow.

I like a freshly toasted pita bread to go with it too!.

Never was a fan of salads but realised it was the lettuce that put me off.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I want gazpacho now! Never made it sounds very easy

Very easy! Just prep the veggies, throw them in the blender and let the machine go to work.

To Lemurcat12 and all - the white gazpachos are lovely, though I haven't made any yet. I do like cucumber, fresh and raw, on hot days.

Here's a related very simple, though hot soup from my father's family - garlic soup:

Heat olive oil in a pot.
    Lightly toast about four cloves of garlic, halved.
    Then, lightly toast, on both sides, maybe two or three slices of French or Italian style bread, about .5" thick.
    Pour water to cover and bring to a boil.
    Slide in two eggs to poach.
    Cover pot and let the whole thing simmer for about ten minutes.

When serving, a little acid, like vinegar or lemon, works well.

If you have a cold and don't feel like chicken soup, this will do it for you!

• CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had the best salad last night! I wanted it again today. I bought a full strawberry fields salad from wendy's then came home and dressed it up the way I wanted. I threw away the dressing it comes with and the candied sunflower seeds (too much sugar) and I added 1oz of slice almonds, 1 oz of crumbled goat cheese, some baby spinach leaves, and avocado oil/raspberry balsamic for dressing. It was so good! I want it again soon for sure!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I want gazpacho now! Never made it sounds very easy

Very easy! Just prep the veggies, throw them in the blender and let the machine go to work.

To Lemurcat12 and all - the white gazpachos are lovely, though I haven't made any yet. I do like cucumber, fresh and raw, on hot days.

Here's a related very simple, though hot soup from my father's family - garlic soup:

Heat olive oil in a pot.
    Lightly toast about four cloves of garlic, halved.
    Then, lightly toast, on both sides, maybe two or three slices of French or Italian style bread, about .5" thick.
    Pour water to cover and bring to a boil.
    Slide in two eggs to poach.
    Cover pot and let the whole thing simmer for about ten minutes.

When serving, a little acid, like vinegar or lemon, works well.

If you have a cold and don't feel like chicken soup, this will do it for you!

Definitely trying this. Thanks!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I get much more excited about a well made salad than something like...McDonalds.
    But, then, I adore salads.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    That's funny, you lettuce haters. I eat so much of it that I actually have to weigh it because it comes in at a couple hundred calories every week.

Yes! I probably go through 2lbs of spinach plus 3lbs of romaine and maybe 2lbs of mesclun mix per week.
    We eat a fair amount of salad, but also cook greens down and mix them with everything!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Back to the OP, my favorite is lettuce of any type, cucumber, sunflower seeds, blue cheese/gorgonzola, light champagne vinaigrette, dried cranberry, and chicken if I can fit it in.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm a simple salad person.

Tomatoes, romaine, feta, red wine vinegar, cucumbers, and hard boiled egg is super yum. Sometimes I add grilled chicken.
  • sadiebrawl
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I get excited about colors, and salads are the best for adding lots of different colored foods.

YES!!!!!
  • sadiebrawl
    Options
    CatShelton wrote: »
    I had the best salad last night! I wanted it again today. I bought a full strawberry fields salad from wendy's then came home and dressed it up the way I wanted. I threw away the dressing it comes with and the candied sunflower seeds (too much sugar) and I added 1oz of slice almonds, 1 oz of crumbled goat cheese, some baby spinach leaves, and avocado oil/raspberry balsamic for dressing. It was so good! I want it again soon for sure!

this made ma mouth water!
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    I don't get excited about salads. I get excited when the scale drops tho lol

Lol, what he said, but I do enjoy salads in the summer time yes
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi All - Want to share a salad I made yesterday and finished up today - it's one of those better-the-second-day dishes:

Cook up some quinoa (I used black).
    While the water is working on the quinoa, toss in:
    About 1/4 Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
    About 1/4 of a red pepper, also coarsely chopped
    About half a cup of cooked (I used canned) small white beans
    When the water boils, lower the heat and add the juice and pulp of half a lemon.
    Salt, pepper and any other seasonings to taste.
    Let it simmer.

While it's simmering, into a food processor (I have a little one, perfect for small servings):
    About 7 or 8 cherry tomatoes (these fresh from my generous tomato plant in the back yard)
    about half as much peeled cucumber
    A little onion
    A clove of garlic
    A little red pepper
    Juice of half a lemon
    A little olive oil.
    Salt, pepper and any other seasonings to taste.
    Spin the processor till everything's small but not liquified

Combine the two sets of preparations together, toss. Serve at room temperature. Put the leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow. Use some bread to sop up the dressing!

Incidentally, the tomato and veggie mixture is an Andalucian salad called pipirrana.