Protein Bar...good or bad?

zzk0485
zzk0485 Posts: 51 Member
Every morning I've been eating those Gatorade Whey Protein bars. I love them! Are they really good for me to be eating tho for weight loss?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Weight loss comes down to a caloric deficit... not what you eat.

If you like them, have them.

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    350 calories a bar. 12 grams of fat and 9 grams of saturated fat, 28 sugars.
    that is not healthy. that's just a candy bar, the choc chip one has 31 grams of sugar, holy cow
    compare that to a snickers bar. there are better breakfasts out there.

How is it "not healthy"? Looks like a good source of fat, carbs, and protein to me.

OP: I prefer the Clif bars, and eat one of those every morning. Hasn't killed me yet.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I just ate a Quest bar. If it can fit into your calories/macros and it satisfies you, keep eating it.
  • vcarpbiz2014
    vcarpbiz2014 Posts: 4 Member
    My dietician told me not to do it because the "diet" bars and "protein" bars are still bad for you. They have ALOT of negatives. She specifically told me the protien bars are ment for building mussel and to focus on healthy weight loss first to meet my goals. Hope this helps. I know everyone's diet and goals differ. Good luck!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    They aren't bad for you. If you like them, and you're staying within your calorie goal, there is nothing wrong with eating them. There are protein bars out there that have a better protein to calorie ratio, though, if you want to make room for other foods in your diet. Quest or Pure Protein come to mind.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    They're really just candy bars with protein in them. Even the people who sell the Quest bars will tell you that it's better to eat whole foods when you can. But if you're on the go and just need something in your stomach, a protein bar or granola bar or whatever isn't going to kill you.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    There's no bad food. Just bad quantities of food.

Do you need to fit in extra protein in your diet? If yes, then protein bars are fine. I have one, maybe not daily, but every couple days for my afternoon snack with a coffee.

I consider it my treat, as well as a way to fit in protein to try and meet my protein quota.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @vcarpbiz2014 I think dietitians like us to learn to eat real food. I do keep protein bars and protein shakes around in case of emergency (not hitting calorie targets, in a place where there are few good choices). 350 calories a bar is steep. Maybe not for a guy with calorie room to spare.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @vcarpbiz2014 I think dietitians like us to learn to eat real food. I do keep protein bars and protein shakes around in case of emergency (not hitting calorie targets, in a place where there are few good choices). 350 calories a bar is steep. Maybe not for a guy with calorie room to spare.

Right. If I'm going to eat a 350 calorie protein bar, It's going to have to have more than 20g of protein. I don't think there is anything wrong with protein bars, I just think it's smart to get as much protein as possible for the calories you're consuming.

• zzk0485
    zzk0485 Posts: 51 Member
    Thank you all for the positive advice!! I have 1 box of them left and then I may try switching to something different. I knew they tasted too good lol!!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    if quest bars are wrong, I dont wanna be right.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I had a Kind bar the other day. Still not a great kick of protein (6g) but it was 200 calories instead of 350. And it tastes great.
    http://www.kindsnacks.com/store/dark-chocolate-nuts-sea-salt.html
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    350 cals is alot for a bar. I wouldn't eat those to be honest. I buy Pure Protein or Quest, which generally comes to 180-200 calories, for 20-21 g protein.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    The calories and sugar to protein ratio isn't very good. I would try to find another one you like. As the poster above said Pure Protein and Quest are both delicious and are much less calories (if you are trying to eat at a deficit) with the same amount of protein.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    But again if you like them and can make them fit into your day, there's nothing wrong with eating them.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    You'll pry my quest bar out of my cold, dead hands.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Quest bars aren't great... MFP seems to love them lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    No problem, if you can afford it calorie wise. 350 for a bar with 20 grams of protein is something I would personally say no to. Too many calories when I can get that many grams in a bar for 200.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Quest bars aren't great... MFP seems to love them lol.

Well what do you mean by great? Taste wise or nutritional value?