I have 40% body fat, how do I change that?

Options
Found out yesterday that I have 40% body fat...how do I change that? Through eating different foods, or through certain types of exercise? This is what I look like now :/
bniwtb68s7us.jpg
tkc1vtfpf4q9.jpg

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat in a caloric deficit. That means eat fewer calories than you burn. Set up your MFP profile accurately, choose a reasonable weight loss goal (in general I think that .5-1 pound is best for most women with less than 75 pounds to lose) and eat that. Weigh your food with a kitchen scale. Log it carefully. If you exercise, log the calories and eat at least half. Evaluate after a month if you should be eating more or less.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That's not 40% body fat, but you probably know that already.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    "Eat less and lose weight" does very little to change your body fat composition in my opinion. I'm in the same boat as you. I don't have a rolls and very little cellulite but I started with 41% body fat. My advice is this: lift heavy weights and eat a lot more protein than you were before with way less carbs. For you personally I think a focus on macros instead of calories might work better.

You can add me as a friend if you like.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    "Eat less and lose weight" does very little to change your body fat composition in my opinion. I'm in the same boat as you. I don't have a rolls and very little cellulite but I started with 41% body fat. My advice is this: lift heavy weights and eat a lot more protein than you were before with way less carbs. For you personally I think a focus on macros instead of calories might work better.

You can add me as a friend if you like.
    Unless you are losing fat and muscle in the same ratio as your beginning ratio, of course it changes your body fat composition.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    That's not 40% body fat, but you probably know that already.

I was kinda wondering what method she had done, because to me that looks like 30-35% at the most. Maybe bioelectrical impedance, or calipers done by an amateur would give 40. My old Tanita was off by about 7 points.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I came to the 40% body fat conclusion after doing an in body composition at the gym....I'd love to know which foods have high protein low carb. Before, I just ate stuff and I really don't know much about nutrition. And yes she said I don't have enough skeletal muscle mass, whatever that means...

I would ignore the reading then. It is next to useless in terms of accuracy.

You need a reasonable calorie deficit per day and some regular resistance training coupled with time, patience and consistency for good results.

Also if you need more skeletal muscle then your current method of eating is hugely counter productive.
  • jemhh
    Options
    It doesn't really matter what your bf% is. If you're overweight, you're overweight. If you can grab a handful of jiggliness, you have excess fat.

I don't believe that you got to 28 pounds overweight eating every other day for 1000 calories. How long have you been attempting this every other day thing? How tall are you? How much do you weigh?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    So, it was the thing where you stand on the scale and then you grip the handlebars. Sorry I don't know the exact term.

That would be a bioelectrical impedance scale. They tend to be off, but they are generally off consistently so they are useful for progress, but not necessarily in terms of absolute numbers.

In order to lose fat and retain lean mass (which is how to reduce your body fat %), you need to eat at a moderate deficit, and get sufficient protein. CDC recommends 0.8g per kg bodyweight, but many studies have shown that during active weight loss, more is better. It wouldn't hurt to lift weights, as it will help you retain muscle, and if you do need to put on muscle, getting stronger while you lose will put you in a good position to do a bulk (where you eat slightly above maintenance and lift to gain muscle) afterward.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Incidentally if you are trying to do ADF the idea is not to fast one day, and then eat a tiny amount the next but rather eat to at least your maintenance level of calories if not more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That is not 40% body fat; no way. That's more than a third of your body.

You need to be eating a lot more.

I think you can get to a lovely figure through exercise alone.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Serious health complications from what? I'm guessing from your photo that you are well within normal weight range. Eating less than 1,200 calories a day however can have serious health problems. I would never return to a personal trainer who scared me. Scared people make rash decisions and are not thinking rationally.
  • jemhh
    Options
    You are within your healthy weight range based on BMI but you could lose some fat. I would suggest eating at or slightly (maybe 250 cals) below maintenance while lifting weights. Do some cardio if you'd like the health benefits but you don't have to go crazy with it.