A slightly motivating tidbit from today

Options
Classes recently started back at college, and I'm enrolled in a first aid class this semester (needed a health/PE credit, and this was the easiest one), the teacher is a former EMT, and since we have so much time to learn so little material, he decided to teach us about cardiovascular disease today to give us a little background info. He was talking about the risk factors for heart disease, namely obesity, and he asked us what the criteria were for classifying someone as obese. After no one answered, I raised my hand and said that a BMI over 30 was obese, and that a BMI of over 25 was overweight. He was surprised that I knew that and asked where I had gotten the information from. I said. "Well, four years ago, I was 220 pounds. You just kind of pick this sort of stuff up when you lose that much weight over several months."

Everyone just took a double take and turned around in their seats to look at me. This was comming from someone who is 5'9" and 120 pounds of lean muscle. The instructed just stared and said "Wow! How did you do it!?"

I just told him that I changed my diet and learned to eat less. That I counted calories on MFP and that eating healthier foods came about naturally as I figured out that the old junk foods that I had gotten fat off of in the first place were leaving me tired and hungry.

And the best part? Instead of gong on to be amazed that someone had lost weight in a healthy way rather than on some crazy diet plan, he said "You're like the poster child for how people should regain their health!"

That was enough to put a smile on my face for the rest of the day. It's nice when someone acknowledges your success without dismissing your weight loss as insignificant because "you're young and your metabolism is faster". :)

Replies