Ideas to overcome cravings

Hi everyone, this is my first week using MFP. I would love to hear about what people do to stop a craving attack! When you feel like having a binge or just throwing in the towel, what do you do to stop that powerful urge? Would love a list of alternative to tape up on my fridge.
Happy Friday!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Eat what you're craving in moderation.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Yeah. Or just cope, if you can't do that.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Welcome to MFP! I drink a bottle of water and then wait 20 minutes or so, before I give in to a craving. However, more than half the time, the craving goes away before the 20 minutes are up--which is awesome. :)
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    I usually go ahead and eat it....but just make sure I plan it into my day. If I let a craving get too out of control, I will eat 12.....

Oh and if I don't have room for it? I brush my teeth. That way I know it won't taste good even if I did eat it lol!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Learn to manage it. This is a lifestyle change for me. I am not giving up chocolate (forever) so I DO eat chocolate while trying to lose weight.

What has changed is, now I account for it. Learning "how much it costs" is important information. When I get to maintenance I can't just "eat whatever" (or I will get fat again).
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    I like the water idea and brushing teeth! I definitely am not stopping myself from eating anything I like. But once I eat simple carbs I have a REALLY hard time with stopping and portion control. And most of the time when I'm having a craving I'm not hungry at all. I want to stop eating when I'm not hungry. Those cravings are so intense and painful though. I know they are about either being dehydrated or stressed. If I can distract myself for 5-10 minutes like you say MrsCaitlin - they usually go away. I just need more distraction ideas... LOL.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    edited August 2015
    becknomad wrote: »
    I like the water idea and brushing teeth! I definitely am not stopping myself from eating anything I like. But once I eat simple carbs I have a REALLY hard time with stopping and portion control. And most of the time when I'm having a craving I'm not hungry at all. I want to stop eating when I'm not hungry. Those cravings are so intense and painful though. I know they are about either being dehydrated or stressed. If I can distract myself for 5-10 minutes like you say MrsCaitlin - they usually go away. I just need more distraction ideas... LOL.

Believe me, it's hard to distract myself sometimes too, lol! I'm the type of person that can't "just have a little" so that's why the water method works for me, but I've been known to clean house just to get through a craving. Which is kind of a bonus in and of itself, lol.

BUT, if you absolutely, positively cannot stop thinking about whatever it is you're craving, give in and move on! :)
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Make sure you are eating right and all first and drinking plenty of water. I have found though that satisfying the craving is the best way. Just do it with moderation. Like yesterday for me I ran to the deli for some ham. They had s'mores pie and was just an instant craving so I bought me a piece. Loved every bite. If you do have a sweet tooth keep some of the Fiber one bars or brownies around and just have one. Moderation is truly the key. Even the market bakery sliced stuff from wal mart isn't all bad as long as done in moderation. 1 small slice of the sliced marble cake (looks like a bread slice) is only 150 calories. If you want something and can't get past it go have it cause if you prolong it to long when you do get it you end up over indulging.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    From personal experience, if you try to eat too little your body will overwhelm you with the need for calories! Some people can do interment fasting (fasting for 12-20 hours a day) but for a lot of us if we don't eat on a regular basis (for me if I miss breakfast) I'm way more liable to have overwhelming urges to eat later in the day. IF you aren't balancing your calories throughout the day, it's possible you've a biological urge to eat overpowering your will power. I'd check you're eating enough, (no less than1200 calories a day) and your meal timings work for your body. Then if that's not the problem, I'd look for emotional triggers to eat. These are harder to address but certainly need to be if you are going to be successful long term. If you are having issues with trigger foods, you might have to go cold turkey off them. Food can be an addictive substance for some people. If you can't stop eating ice-cream once you start for example, you may have to give up ice-cream if that's easier than eating it in moderation.

The thing about weight loss is there is no 'one method works for all.' You need to listen to your body, to your mind and find the way that's manageable for you.

As an aside, my favorite distraction method is exercise!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    There are some great ideas listed here. For me, when I used to watch tv or a movie, I'd always be snacking while I watched, so for a few weeks, I just had to learn how to enjoy watching something without associating it with eating. Now, sometimes if I'm watching a show or movie, I knit. Poorly. But that's okay, it's fun and maybe this winter, someone will get a really, really long scarf.
  • amythomas2
    amythomas2 Posts: 14 Member
    You could paint your nails as it's something to do for a few minutes but whilst they are drying you can't really eat without the risk of smudging them :-)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    justrollme wrote: »
    There are some great ideas listed here. For me, when I used to watch tv or a movie, I'd always be snacking while I watched, so for a few weeks, I just had to learn how to enjoy watching something without associating it with eating. Now, sometimes if I'm watching a show or movie, I knit. Poorly. But that's okay, it's fun and maybe this winter, someone will get a really, really long scarf.

I just picked up knitting a few weeks ago myself. Guess what everyone will be getting for Christmas this year... lol

Busy fingers aren't snacking fingers, especially when you want to keep your work clean. And I actually find it therapeutic after a long day at work.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Make what you're craving fit into your allotment.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I plan for it.
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    The evening is always worst for me with snacking so I leave myself some calorie room for the end of the day. That way, if I do have a craving, I can have *some* and not feel guilty. And if I escape that craving, I've just had a larger deficit! When I don't have room - I drink a glass of water.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    I substitute high-calorie for low-calorie things! When I'm craving savory/salty foods and don't have enough calories left for them, I will have popcorn (airpopped and salted), bullion broth, or sometimes even pickles. When I'm craving sweet foods like ice cream, I will sometimes have frozen fruit (usually raspberries or bananas). I will also occasionally put a little vanilla protein powder into some almond milk, mix it up, and drink that. And when I really need chocolate, I make hot chocolate from unsweetened cocoa and add only a small amount of sugar. Hope that helps!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I make my food fit the flavor profile I'm in the mood for while still falling under my calorie goals.

While I love buffalo wings, I really just want the hot sauce/blue cheese mixture so I make baked buffalo meatballs or buffalo chicken soup.

If I want Chinese food, I bake rangoons/wontons and make a stir fry. Cornstarch/egg dipped and pan seared chicken thighs makes a really good crispy chicken.

If I want a chimichanga, I make a burrito and broil it until crispy.

And so on.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    It's interesting to see the responses here. I've found myself trying to ignore my cravings all together which admittedly leads to frustration. My cravings don't tend to materialise until late evening so usually I just put myself to bed and wake up the morning feeling refreshed!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I don't know how many meals you are eating per day but I found that three meals evenly spaced helped me to stop munching all day long. I eat at 8am, 12 noon, and 5:30pm. I then have snack at 10am and again at 2:00pm. Two hours after dinner I walk on my treadmill for 30 min at about 8pm. After the treadmill I drink about 16 oz of water and I'm not hungry. Then I brush my teeth and go to bed between 10-11pm. All this to say just find a system that works for you. Know what your weaknesses are and find ways around them. I use to snack while I'd watch TV. So now I watch TV while I walk on the treadmill. It has helped to cut down on the amount of TV I watch. :) Last weekend I was on that darn treadmill for 90 minutes watching Fear The Walking Dead.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Eat as much as I can and still lose weight.

If it is a food I really love, learn to love a higher quality version but much less of it. Like a very, very good piece of chocolate. Oh Henry! bars have no hold on me any more. Quality over volume.

Analyse the source of the craving. Is it habit, boredom, emotional, or what? Then deal with the source.

charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/

Watch this video.