Feeling discouraged

Options
I've been eating healthier and excercising everyday since I started my weight loss journey on August 1st. I know I need to be consistent and I will because I know it is worth it in the long term. I just feel a little discouraged because I've lost ~15 pounds and I can't tell at all!
How do you stay motivated when you feel like your body isn't changing despite all of your commitment?

Replies

• kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Progress photos! I am down a little over 30lbs and when I see myself in the mirror or look at all the weight my body has on it I get really sad and feel like I have not changed at all! but when I look at my progress photos I see the difference. It is hard to see the change in yourself when you are constantly seeing yourself every day.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    kamack1215 wrote: »
    Progress photos! I am down a little over 30lbs and when I see myself in the mirror or look at all the weight my body has on it I get really sad and feel like I have not changed at all! but when I look at my progress photos I see the difference. It is hard to see the change in yourself when you are constantly seeing yourself every day.

^^^Great idea! Also, measure yourself. I measure everything from the neck down including under my bust and abdomen (in addition to all the usual places). You will be surprised to see inches lost along with the pounds. If you are also doing strength training you might lose inches without losing scale weight. Don't give up - you're on a roll!
  • EttaWB
    EttaWB Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Depending on how much you want/need to lose, you might not see 15. I want to lose 70 and I didn't see a change until I lost 20 lbs. In my mind 10-15 was supposed to look a certain way. I took a picture of my face and compared it to an earlier picture and could see a difference. I also tried on a pair of pants that were tight and they fit. The other suggestions are great. I really need to take measurements.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    15 pounds in a month is terrific!! That in itself would be enough to keep me motivated because it would tell me I'm moving in the right direction and I know results would become visible soon.

If you look around the MFP forums you will see that there are an equal number of threads that say "The scales are down but my measurements haven't changed" and "My clothes/measurement are looser but the scales haven't changed." The journey is different for each of us. Weight loss is not a linear process, as much as we would like it to be. You cannot determine what change will come next. Trust the process, enjoy the journey, you will get there!

67388953.png
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Go to a grocery store, straight to the produce aisle. Grab the equivalent of 15 pounds of potatoes. Hold them in your arms and walk around a bit.

You'll look nuts :-), you will not carry your bags for a long time, but I bet you will realize how awesome you are for having lost all that weight.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Go to a grocery store, straight to the produce aisle. Grab the equivalent of 15 pounds of potatoes. Hold them in your arms and walk around a bit.

You'll look nuts :-), you will not carry your bags for a long time, but I bet you will realize how awesome you are for having lost all that weight.

This.
    Or 15 pounds of butter since butter is all fat. Seeing visually a representation of what you are no longer carrying around can really help. Not sure how much you have to lose but if you have a lot to lose 15 pounds won't show much but the next 5 o so you should start to notice changes in how your clothes fit. I started out with 99 to lose to get to my goal and I think I was at about 20 down when people started to take notice. 32 down and now I am starting to seriously need to get some new clothes.

Hang in there. You will be glad you did. :)

• crystalj2223
    crystalj2223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was having some of the same problems. Honestly, I get so upset sometimes because I don't seem to see the results I believe I worked so hard to achieve. What I can tell you is my body never lies, because my clothes start to fit differently, my skin starts to glow. That's what keeps me motivated. Don't give up on your body, drink lots of water; and the results are coming.

• kb11387
    kb11387 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    skinnyby18 wrote: »
    I've been eating healthier and excercising everyday since I started my weight loss journey on August 1st. I know I need to be consistent and I will because I know it is worth it in the long term. I just feel a little discouraged because I've lost ~15 pounds and I can't tell at all!
    How do you stay motivated when you feel like your body isn't changing despite all of your commitment?

• kb11387
    kb11387 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Take photos it's hard to tell and go by how your clothes fir
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, go by how your clothes fit! Definitely will feel great once they start getting bigger.. Add me if you want or need some help and motivation.. I know I could use it too
  • Chrissya1594
    Chrissya1594 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    kamack1215 wrote: »

thanks! That;s a really good idea

• Chrissya1594
    Chrissya1594 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied. I feel super motivated after reading your positive words of encouragement and great ideas!