Losing weight feels like a myth

Options
Hmm where to starts. Well the reason why im doing this im the first place is becuz im turning the big 21 in december!!! And i still hate the way i look! Im not saying i need to lose a billion pounds cuz ik im not big.. i just have a stomach that doesnt need to be there and ofcourse the stomach is the worst part to lose weight. I never felt the need to lose weight until now and i just have no clue how. For me losing weight seems like a myth like a thing u read about but something that can never happen to u (like winning the lottery) unfountely all the females in my family are obese and if i dont start taking control im afraid im heading there. Is there any tips anyone can give me? Dont be afraid to add me on here!!! Thanks guys (:

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Plug your info into MFP and eat the amount of calories it gives you. Ito really that simple!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Plug your info into MFP and eat the amount of calories it gives you. Ito really that simple!
    It really is! I wish I'd figured that out when I was 20 and only had 10lbs to lose like you, OP.

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Learn the tricks now as it's much easier only having to lose a little. But, with that said, it might be sort of easy to lose , but figuring out how to maintain is key. Count your calories, log every day, and get involved on this site. You need to get into healthy eating and make it a habit. That's what we're all here for. Welcome!
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you have no idea how to get started, read the stickied posts at the top of the various threads. (Start with 'Getting Started' - then 'Food and Nutrition', 'Fitness and Exercise', and 'General ... Help' . 'Motivation and Support' is good, too, of course!)
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    People assume that losing weight is only about calories in verses calories out... and I don't think this is true. I'm very thin (102.5 pounds) and eat over 2,000 calories a day. I recently started studying Ayurveda and it suggests that people need to eat for their body type. So basically your body will process the calories and nutrients from food differently than someone else's.

Western nutrition is based on a one-size-fits-all concept, and we ironically live in a country with one of the highest obesity rates. This is just something for people to think about....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Some people burn more calories than others of the same size Wildepillar - because they are more active than others. Anyway, 2000 is not a huge amount - many people eat that and are not overweight.
    Even a smallish lightly active middle aged woman like myself maintains on 1700.

Or they need to eat more calories because they have an absorption issue - eg Chron's disease.

But that doesn't negate the fact that everyone needs to eat less calories than they burn if they want to lose weight.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    People assume that losing weight is only about calories in verses calories out... and I don't think this is true. I'm very thin (102.5 pounds) and eat over 2,000 calories a day. I recently started studying Ayurveda and it suggests that people need to eat for their body type. So basically your body will process the calories and nutrients from food differently than someone else's.

Western nutrition is based on a one-size-fits-all concept, and we ironically live in a country with one of the highest obesity rates. This is just something for people to think about....

This is not true.

OP, just eat fewer calories and you'll lose weight. You don't have that much weight to lose. Don't get obsessed about your body, though. Focusing on one body part - you can't spot reduce fat. Just do it the right way - a small calorie deficit, lose weight at a safe pace, and you'll be fine.

Also read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    People assume that losing weight is only about calories in verses calories out... and I don't think this is true. I'm very thin (102.5 pounds) and eat over 2,000 calories a day.

Your profile also says you are very active and walk about 20,000 steps a day.

Do you think that has anything to do with the CO part of the equation which offsets the CI side?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Exactly this.

If you have less then 25 lbs to lose you probably want to set your goal for .5 lbs a week. Eat the calories MFP gives you. Log everything you eat and drink accurately. Eat a portion of any calories you earn from exercise.
    That's it.
    You don't have to give up eating foods you like or exercise for hours every day- just eat the calories that are appropriate for your goal.
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    At heart, there isn't one single way. If there was, that is the only thing everyone would be doing.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    WellingTX wrote: »
    At heart, there isn't one single way. If there was, that is the only thing everyone would be doing.

You are right. There are many roads to Rome.

But Rome in this scenario is a calorie deficit.
  • curlybre_55
    curlybre_55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys for ur comments!! I will be keeping up with the app!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is the way to go to lose those extra pounds, but a bit of strength training added in will help retain and strengthen the muscles you already have.
    You could look at a weight lifting or body weight routines that encompasses whole body moves.

Cheers, h.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    WellingTX wrote: »

No matter which way people do it - low carb, moderation, paleo, etc - they're all the same way - calorie deficit. And that's what everyone does who loses weight successfully.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Don't touch any fast food or processed food for 3 months. you'll see changes.

That's assuming this person eats those things in too large of a portion currently.
    You can gain weight by eating too much homecooked food too!