Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    [quote="aggelikik;33786126"

Have you talked to your dr? If you are insulin resistant and recently started exercising or upped your exercise, then the solution might be to simply come off metformin.

Thank you, I have a pretty stable exercise routine for the last 12 years - around 5x high intensity running/Cardio/weights a week - it's just that I've increased the length of duration due to longer runs in the short term. I came off metformin a few years back for 18 months, maintained my diet/exercise and put on 21 pounds, my doctor has advised me I am likely on for life, so I suspect coming off is not my solution. Thanks for the suggestion though - hearing other people's thoughts helps me to refine my own.

May I ask what dr is treating you? If this is not an endocrinologist, I would suggest you get an appointment with one. And if he is, I would suggest you get a second opinion. Metformin for life for controlling weight instead of lowering calories is really weird medical advice.

The metformin is linked to PCOS, which in turn creates insulin resistance, similar to type 2 diabetes. I was under a consultant at the hospital for a couple of years getting the treatment right through medication and changed diet, during which time I lost around 8 and a half stone. I now routinely see a GP to monitor through hormone balance through blood tests etc (I'm UK based). [/quote]

I have PCOS and am insulin resistant, so I understand that metformin is prescribed sometimes for help with PCOS, when lifestyle changes are not possible, or not happening fast enough. However, it is also my understanding that unless you are a diabetic, metformin is not prescribed as a long term solution. It is used short term to help PCOS patients, and it has the side effect of helping with weight loss, but is not supposed to be used long term as a weight loss aid. This is why what you mention sounds very unusual to me. In the 20+ years since my original diagnosis, we discussed only briefly metformin with a reproductive endocrinologist to help with fertility issues, and he considered it as a temporary solution. My grandfather was a diabetic and even in his case, the endocrinologist wanted to keep metformin to a minimum and aim for diabetes control through diet and exercise. This is why I find it surprising that your dr wants you on metformin for life, just to help with weight control. I was under the impression that risks by far would outweigh the benefits in a non-diabetic patient. I would be very skeptical about trusting a GP in such issues personally, mainly because I have seen first hand how outdated a GP's advice can be compared to an endocrinologist when it comes to hormonal disorders.
  • badlydrawnperson
    badlydrawnperson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts on this, it may be something I consider in the longterm, other than issues when running for two hours or more, my
    regime is working well for me and my individual circumstance. I'll focus on the fuelling of my longer runs in the shorter term.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Have you talked to your dr? If you are insulin resistant and recently started exercising or upped your exercise, then the solution might be to simply come off metformin.

Thank you, I have a pretty stable exercise routine for the last 12 years - around 5x high intensity running/Cardio/weights a week - it's just that I've increased the length of duration due to longer runs in the short term. I came off metformin a few years back for 18 months, maintained my diet/exercise and put on 21 pounds, my doctor has advised me I am likely on for life, so I suspect coming off is not my solution. Thanks for the suggestion though - hearing other people's thoughts helps me to refine my own.

May I ask what dr is treating you? If this is not an endocrinologist, I would suggest you get an appointment with one. And if he is, I would suggest you get a second opinion. Metformin for life for controlling weight instead of lowering calories is really weird medical advice.
    [/quote]

For women with PCOS it is not weird medical advice.

• omma_to_3
    Options

The metformin is linked to PCOS, which in turn creates insulin resistance, similar to type 2 diabetes. I was under a consultant at the hospital for a couple of years getting the treatment right through medication and changed diet, during which time I lost around 8 and a half stone. I now routinely see a GP to monitor through hormone balance through blood tests etc (I'm UK based).

I have PCOS and am insulin resistant, so I understand that metformin is prescribed sometimes for help with PCOS, when lifestyle changes are not possible, or not happening fast enough. However, it is also my understanding that unless you are a diabetic, metformin is not prescribed as a long term solution. It is used short term to help PCOS patients, and it has the side effect of helping with weight loss, but is not supposed to be used long term as a weight loss aid. This is why what you mention sounds very unusual to me. In the 20+ years since my original diagnosis, we discussed only briefly metformin with a reproductive endocrinologist to help with fertility issues, and he considered it as a temporary solution. My grandfather was a diabetic and even in his case, the endocrinologist wanted to keep metformin to a minimum and aim for diabetes control through diet and exercise. This is why I find it surprising that your dr wants you on metformin for life, just to help with weight control. I was under the impression that risks by far would outweigh the benefits in a non-diabetic patient. I would be very skeptical about trusting a GP in such issues personally, mainly because I have seen first hand how outdated a GP's advice can be compared to an endocrinologist when it comes to hormonal disorders. [/quote]

Again, it's your information that is outdated. She isn't on Metformin for weight control - she's on it to make her body function properly with the insulin resistance. When her body isn't functioning properly, she gains weight. No amount of diet nor exercise (and I exercise A LOT and have for years) can fix all PCOS cases. And I do see an endocrinologist...one that is the head of his department at a major university medical system.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    omma_to_3 wrote: »

The metformin is linked to PCOS, which in turn creates insulin resistance, similar to type 2 diabetes. I was under a consultant at the hospital for a couple of years getting the treatment right through medication and changed diet, during which time I lost around 8 and a half stone. I now routinely see a GP to monitor through hormone balance through blood tests etc (I'm UK based).

I have PCOS and am insulin resistant, so I understand that metformin is prescribed sometimes for help with PCOS, when lifestyle changes are not possible, or not happening fast enough. However, it is also my understanding that unless you are a diabetic, metformin is not prescribed as a long term solution. It is used short term to help PCOS patients, and it has the side effect of helping with weight loss, but is not supposed to be used long term as a weight loss aid. This is why what you mention sounds very unusual to me. In the 20+ years since my original diagnosis, we discussed only briefly metformin with a reproductive endocrinologist to help with fertility issues, and he considered it as a temporary solution. My grandfather was a diabetic and even in his case, the endocrinologist wanted to keep metformin to a minimum and aim for diabetes control through diet and exercise. This is why I find it surprising that your dr wants you on metformin for life, just to help with weight control. I was under the impression that risks by far would outweigh the benefits in a non-diabetic patient. I would be very skeptical about trusting a GP in such issues personally, mainly because I have seen first hand how outdated a GP's advice can be compared to an endocrinologist when it comes to hormonal disorders.

Again, it's your information that is outdated. She isn't on Metformin for weight control - she's on it to make her body function properly with the insulin resistance. When her body isn't functioning properly, she gains weight. No amount of diet nor exercise (and I exercise A LOT and have for years) can fix all PCOS cases. And I do see an endocrinologist...one that is the head of his department at a major university medical system.

She said her dr has her on metformin because it helps her control her weight. Which is what I was replying to. No need to be rude. OP is stating a common side-effect of diabetes meds: when she exercises, she gets hypoglycemic. If she were a diabetic, meds come with instructions on how to deal with this. If she has no such plan for hypoglycemia, she needs one. And always the goal with metabolic disorders is to get lifestyle changes that can help minimise the need for meds. From OP's routine, I suspect she might be much closer to this goal than she thinks. Why you find this upsetting, I have no idea.
  • omma_to_3
    edited August 2015
    Options
    [/quote]

She said her dr has her on metformin because it helps her control her weight. Which is what I was replying to. No need to be rude. OP is stating a common side-effect of diabetes meds: when she exercises, she gets hypoglycemic. If she were a diabetic, meds come with instructions on how to deal with this. If she has no such plan for hypoglycemia, she needs one. And always the goal with metabolic disorders is to get lifestyle changes that can help minimise the need for meds. From OP's routine, I suspect she might be much closer to this goal than she thinks. Why you find this upsetting, I have no idea. [/quote]

I think you misread my message. There is nothing rude intended in my post, nor am I upset. But your comments on PCOS treatment are quite outdated. In her original post she stated she's on Metformin for insulin resistance. Coming off Met and gaining weight is a clear sign that despite a good diet and good exercise, she is still insulin resistant.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Metformin assists in all sorts of metabolic processes. Metformin is supposed to help with glycemic highs but it's not supposed to cause low blood sugar. Nevertheless, when I experienced significant weight loss while on Metformin, I started to experience low blood sugar moments. I had to develop a strategy around that, including carrying glucotabs with me.

My dad, type 2 as well, expected to be on Metformin for life. But when he developed kidney problems along with all his other medical conditions, he had to come off it. Metformin can interfere with kidney function. He says he had no idea Metformin was doing such a good job of taking care of his blood sugars. Now that he must use insulin to control his sugars, he has to monitor much more closely.

The doctor who supervised my weight loss says Metformin has so many benefits for her patients, called it a "miracle drug". Though I did not observe any big weight loss from it, I suspect it was doing a lot to curb my insulin resistance.
  • badlydrawnperson
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Metformin assists in all sorts of metabolic processes. Metformin is supposed to help with glycemic highs but it's not supposed to cause low blood sugar. Nevertheless, when I experienced significant weight loss while on Metformin, I started to experience low blood sugar moments. I had to develop a strategy around that, including carrying glucotabs with me.

I had this too on weightloss. Glad to hear you found a way through.
  • badlydrawnperson
    Options
    My apologies if someone has already recomended this to you(as I cant be assed reading previous on thread)
    I suggest combination ginseng inositol and choline and cinammon mixed in with orhanic warmed apple juice before race. Or you could try adding those ingredients to your water smoothies or veggie drinks.
    Ta hun all best
    DancingDarl

They hadn't DancingDarl - thank you for the suggestion x
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You could negotiate your way to a lower dose over time as you continue to lose weight. Show your logs to your doctor. I slowly negotiated my way off my meds. The last to go was the blood pressure meds and I had to promise to continue to take my BP readings.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A resident MFP'er (his name escapes me at the moment) and Type1/Type2 swears by glucotabs. They precisely give you what you need when your sugar is low, so they don't hinder your weight loss efforts on top of that.

I'd add a handful of nuts to my diet the day before the run.

The reason I suggest glucose tablets is because they have a high net carb:calorie ratio. When your blood sugar is low but you don't want to eat so many calories that you take in more calories than you exerted, glucose tablets are most likely to help avoid that situation. They also work faster.

OP, in your case, I suggest bringing your glucometer and glucose tablets for a run. When you feel low, test and then treat if you are low. Do not treat based on your feeling. Here's why: People who are used to having high BG / hyperglycemia (this might describe you) often have false hypoglycemia symptoms when at a normal BG. As BG's are better controlled, that will happen less.

Also, consider prevention. How long will you be running? Test your BG before you run and use trial and error to eat the right number of carbs right beforehand. Keep in mind that carbs are going to raise your BG over the next 5 min. to an hour (more or less depending on the specific carb), proteins take 1-5 hours to metabolize into glucose (and only at 60%), and fat takes so long and converts to glucose so slowly that it is not worth mentioning. So eat protein right before a long run (2-5 hours) or a few hours before a mid-length run (1-2 hrs.). Eat carbs right before any run unless your BG is already high.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Thanks, @midwesterner85 . You know more about your sugar levels than your poor old pancreas.