Are macros really that important?

Options
So, I am chugging along at 1200 calories, but I hate meat. I just hate it, and I am done with it. Honestly, I eat whatever appeals to me up to 1200 calories. I take a doc prescribed multivitamin, so shouldn't that take care of missing nutrients? Other than protein, I am thinking that I should be good to go.

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm a novice at this, and there are others on here much more knowledgeable. But I really have found that in terms of weight loss, how much is more important than what. I stay full on less when I'm hitting protein and getting fiber. From what I understand - and again, I'm still learning a lot - macros are much more important in gaining and recomp.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is about the calories in vs calories out so assuming your accurately tracking everything then it won't matter in terms of weight loss.

I personally think macros AND micros are important though because of nutrition purposes. Its also really hard to get that nutrition in at just 1200 calories.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is optimal for those who simply just want to lose weight without much exercise which is relatively taxing on the body.

However, counting macros (and hence calories) is good for those who do exercise which requires 'good nutrition' (I'm bad with words lol) so they can fuel themselves properly. For example, if you lift weights, you need to have adequate protein intake so you can repair your muscles after working out.

Counting macros are good for losing weight if you're doing a sport such as weight lifting, if you're gaining weight and weight training or if you're recomping.
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lately, I don't have the patience to be bothered with food, so I have been just eating within my calorie goal, but I eat just to shut my stomach up and then go about my business. I realize that a lot of people talk about the importance of macros, so that's why I ask.
  • KimmyKicksAss
    KimmyKicksAss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Check your multi vitamin to be sure. Mine does not take care of Potassium (surprising, I know), B-12, zinc, magnesium, etc.

For me, macros are important. I like to track those even if I don't always hit my protein goal.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    vlovell24 wrote: »
    Lately, I don't have the patience to be bothered with food, so I have been just eating within my calorie goal, but I eat just to shut my stomach up and then go about my business. I realize that a lot of people talk about the importance of macros, so that's why I ask.

If you're not doing anything strenuous, then I don't think there is any need really. I didn't count macros when I first started losing weight around this time last year.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is about the calories in vs calories out so assuming your accurately tracking everything then it won't matter in terms of weight loss.

I personally think macros AND micros are important though because of nutrition purposes. Its also really hard to get that nutrition in at just 1200 calories.

+1

I think our bodies can handle a certain period of time with suboptimal nutrition (otherwise we wouldn't have made it this far as a species).

But lacking Vit C really does give people scurvy. Being low in iron can make you feel really unwell, including via anemia, especially if you're a woman (and so can low Vit D, some forms of which partly come from meat). & iron deficiency can also make your hair fall out. If you're a woman who wants to get pregnant, folate deficiency can cause problems for the development of the fetus' neural tubes.

Some others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avitaminosis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malnutrition

oh ok, you've got a vitamin. well people can be healthy vegans, you just have to watch your iron

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Protein also helps prevent muscle loss when you are at such an extreme deficit. It is probably the most important macro to hit. Look into protein shakes, beans and nuts as an alternative to meat. I assuming all seafood is out as well?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes are 30 grams of protein and only 160 calories.
  • Hea1thyGam3r
    Hea1thyGam3r Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Protein also helps prevent muscle loss when you are at such an extreme deficit. It is probably the most important macro to hit. Look into protein shakes, beans and nuts as an alternative to meat. I assuming all seafood is out as well?

Without progressive resistance training no amount of protein will prevent muscle loss while losing weight. It doesn't matter what the source is. That said there are is a lot of good information to be found on the boards about vegan methods of hitting your protein goals. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think they are important for reaching minimum goals. Protein can go low like 10% but most people keep it higher at 15-20%, and some go over 30%. The same goes for fat; some do well as low as 10% but most keep fat up around 30%.

Macros are important for some health goals like keeping carbs low.

It really varies.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. If you'r mostly concerned with losing weight, then I don't think it's all that important. There is some merit to watching your nutrition, for your health. If you're involved in a serious lifting program, then you need to make sure you keep your protein up. Protein is also good for satiety, or getting and keeping the feeling of being full.j But there are lots of ways to get protein other than meat.
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but I have always disliked meat. Sure, the occasional burger is alright, but steaks, chicken, etc.. is eww to me. I will give the shakes a go, and maybe some more Greek yogurt. My doc has me on a prenatal vitamin to cover folic acid, and I take 3 iron pills and a b12 every day for anemia, so I think I am good on that. Potassium is a good question....I think I could do a banana a day, or just grab a supplement. Honestly, about a month into this calorie regimen, food became nothing more than fuel. I eat to keep the hunger pains away, and I get the 1200 calories because it's the minimum amount. The last 2 weeks or so, I just haven't been into eating. Funny how that's working I guess. A lifetime of using food as a crutch, and when I started to separate food from emotions, it became no different than drinking water or using the bathroom. Just another body function that has to be taken care of. Thanks for the replies everyone. Vitamins, choking down the protein, and getting the 1200 calories. Got it.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. If you'r mostly concerned with losing weight, then I don't think it's all that important. There is some merit to watching your nutrition, for your health. If you're involved in a serious lifting program, then you need to make sure you keep your protein up. Protein is also good for satiety, or getting and keeping the feeling of being full.j But there are lots of ways to get protein other than meat.

Exactly the bolded. The rest is pretty on point, too. I'd say anytime you're working on strength training, protein is important.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    So, I am chugging along at 1200 calories, but I hate meat. I just hate it, and I am done with it. Honestly, I eat whatever appeals to me up to 1200 calories. I take a doc prescribed multivitamin, so shouldn't that take care of missing nutrients? Other than protein, I am thinking that I should be good to go.

To me they are the third most important thing.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

If you're not doing anything strenuous, then I don't think there is any need really. I didn't count macros when I first started losing weight around this time last year.
    There is no need to get proper macros and micros unless you care about your health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are ESSENTIALS. Yes macros matter if you're looking for better healthy function and not just weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

You don't have to eat meat if you don't like it. What about a whole foods plant-based diet? I started developing a distaste for meat and chicken a while back and now don't eat any. With the exception of B12 and perhaps Vitamin D, you should be able to meet all your essential vitamins and minerals from whole plant foods. Relying on a multivitamin for nutrition instead of food, is kind of ridiculous and absurd.

If you're worried about protein, eat lentils and beans and a variety of other plant based foods - whole grains, potatoes, fruits and veggies etc. You don't need meat and protein shakes. Use whfoods.com if you want to see what foods are rich in various vitamins and minerals.

Macros are not important because people can meet their nutritional needs on any macros. Calories are important for weight loss and also energy to fuel your activities. Just eat a variety of real food and you'll be fine.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat meat if you don't like it. What about a whole foods plant-based diet? I started developing a distaste for meat and chicken a while back and now don't eat any. With the exception of B12 and perhaps Vitamin D, you should be able to meet all your essential vitamins and minerals from whole plant foods. Relying on a multivitamin for nutrition instead of food, is kind of ridiculous and absurd.

If you're worried about protein, eat lentils and beans and a variety of other plant based foods - whole grains, potatoes, fruits and veggies etc. You don't need meat and protein shakes. Use whfoods.com if you want to see what foods are rich in various vitamins and minerals.

Macros are not important because people can meet their nutritional needs on any macros. Calories are important for weight loss and also energy to fuel your activities. Just eat a variety of real food and you'll be fine.

This is incorrect, you need a reasonable split of macros for good health.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This is incorrect, you need a reasonable split of macros for good health.

Hard to argue with "reasonable.". But à broad range of macro splits are reasonable I.e., will sustain good health. For the vast majority of people, " eat a variety of foods" is all the a advice needed -- no reason to track macros.