Under Calorie goal!

martyc91
martyc91 Posts: 55
edited September 28 in Motivation and Support
What problem does it cause if your burning around 1K calories a day exercising twice (once early morning & once late evening) and you are only consuming around 900 caloires a day; seems like I am having a hard time losing weight over the past 2 weeks,but am eating breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between?

Replies

• rjyoung
    rjyoung Posts: 17
    You're not eating enough. Your body is going into starvation mode. It seems weird, but you need to eat more to lose weight!
  • If you are burning 1,000 calories a day and only consuming 900 you are not giving your body enough energy, so your metabolism is slowing down, hence no weight loss. You are asking your body to not only function normally but ALSO to burn 1,000 calories -- you need to fuel it.

You need to add at least 600 calories a day. Putting weight loss aside, you are going to be malnurished.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Your body goes into starvation mode and will refuse to lose weight when you aren't comsuming enough. I was consuming 1100 a day and exercising once a day burning about 650 during my workouts and I was at a stand still in weight loss for almost 2 weeks. I increased my food intake to 1500/1700 calories and lost 5 pounds in 2 days by keeping with the same workout schedule. It really does pay to eat more!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    For one you would be in negative calories. Eating 900 and burning 1000, is like throwing up 100 calories and not eating anything all day. This will cause you to go into starvation mode, where your body will hold on to the fat for dear life. You may experience many negative side effects associated with malnutrition. Weak nails, hair falling out, lack of energy, getting sick easy, loss of muscle, death, etc.

It is recommended that you net 1200 as a minimum which means if you burn 1000 in the gym you need to eat 2200 (1200+1000).
  • martyc91
    martyc91 Posts: 55
    Thanks alot! I really appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.