Waist training plus gain journey

Options
Im 24 yrs old , height 5' 1" and I gave birth 7 months ago,at that time weighing in at 153 lbs,and since giving birth I've dropped to an even 120 lbs. Needless to say I loved my pregnancy weight (minus the bump of course lol) but everything else was perfect. I want to gain weight while I also waist train. Any tips on how to keep loss in belly area while I still gain weight?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Drop the waist training, start progressive lifting (strong curves, new rules of lifting, strong lift, etc) and recognize that you will gain fat. In fact, roughly 75% will be fat for you. This is why you will have to do a cut after.
  • pkeashia
    pkeashia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @psulemon
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what you are trying to achieve waist training?
    Also, keep in mind that your muscles in that area will weaken if you are constantly supported by a corset/trainer. Strength training will strengthen those muscles which will allow you to keep it in better.

I think what you basically need is to increase your bodyweight, with as much muscle as possible rather than fat. As already said, only 25% of your gain will probably be muscle. And that is only when you follow a good beginners progressive overload lifting program like the ones psulemon mentioned. Unfortunately, genetics determine where weight gain goes. So if you are unhappy with the fat after your bulk, a cut might be necessary...

Anyway, good luck.
  • pkeashia
    pkeashia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @AsISmile When i waist train i only wear it for 8-12 hours and i do stomach exercises(crunches sit ups,planks) with it on. Right now my measurements are 32-25-37....and ideally want to be 36-27-42. I get what you both are saying tho,I guess I'll just go ahead and try to bulk,cause initially I thought I was supposed to gain and do nothing to be sure I don't lose,but adding the lifting seems much smarter. thanks for the advice
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    pkeashia wrote: »
    @AsISmile When i waist train i only wear it for 8-12 hours and i do stomach exercises(crunches sit ups,planks) with it on. Right now my measurements are 32-25-37....and ideally want to be 36-27-42. I get what you both are saying tho,I guess I'll just go ahead and try to bulk,cause initially I thought I was supposed to gain and do nothing to be sure I don't lose,but adding the lifting seems much smarter. thanks for the advice

Genetics will determine where you gain and lose fat, wearing a corset won't change that. By lifting, you can improve your body composition, which generally means being more lean and well defined. You may never get those exact measurements though, so I wouldn't really concentrate on that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Genetics will determine where you gain and lose fat, wearing a corset won't change that. By lifting, you can improve your body composition, which generally means being more lean and well defined. You may never get those exact measurements though, so I wouldn't really concentrate on that.

this …

if you want to limit fat gain, then eat in a 250 calorie surplus and shoot for .5 pound per week gain …but no matter what you do, you will gain fat.
  • jwinters1992
    jwinters1992 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing none of these posters actually know anything about waist training...lol.
    8-12 hours is a good length of time. I wouldn't do crunches while wearing it because it limits muscle movement.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing none of these posters actually know anything about waist training...lol.

Enlighten us, then.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I waist trained because the shape it gives me is something I enjoy. If you are waist training and want advice on it, I'd highly suggest going to a corset-training forum or group. Tying the two (gaining and training) doesn't need to happen and working out in a corset-- especially if it is steel-boned (which is really the only corset that will train anything, from my understanding) is not advisable. It is uncomfortable and does affect your breathing slightly, even if you take the recommended 4-6 hours to get down to your "ideal" waist.

Orchard Corset has a few videos regarding waist training. Mind you, no one is suggesting you mix your workouts with waist training. https://www.orchardcorset.com/pages/waist-training-101

However, if you meant "waist taming" which is something celebrities have talked about and doesn't involve nearly as much... to do... if you will (and is supposed to be part of some sort of workout plan), then don't do any of it! As everyone noted above, working out an genetics determine your shape. Using steel-boned corsets absolutely can affect your shape, but there are two different things being talked about in regards to waist-anything and corsets. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

the only way you're going to gain 4 inches on your bust is a boob job! (or gain loads of fat)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    ^^^ yup, my bust was 6 inches larger when I weighed about 35lbs more than I do now, didn't really work out much, and had much higher bf%.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This is the one case where waist training can actually work. However, don't buy a typical waist trainer. Buy one that is specifically for helping women who recently had babies get their abs to go back into their original position. You have to be careful as it needs to wrap from bottom up, as top down can cause pressure on your uterus and cause complications. And don't expect it to perform miracles. It's just to encourage things to go back where they were before the bump. It is best done sooner after giving birth.

So I've heard.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @psulemon

You can start snacking between meals to gain weight most effectively, bump up your fats a little bit. The best time to start waist training is when you quit breastfeeding. It won't take long to gain a few pounds, do it slowly.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I waist trained because the shape it gives me is something I enjoy. If you are waist training and want advice on it, I'd highly suggest going to a corset-training forum or group. Tying the two (gaining and training) doesn't need to happen and working out in a corset-- especially if it is steel-boned (which is really the only corset that will train anything, from my understanding) is not advisable. It is uncomfortable and does affect your breathing slightly, even if you take the recommended 4-6 hours to get down to your "ideal" waist.

Orchard Corset has a few videos regarding waist training. Mind you, no one is suggesting you mix your workouts with waist training. https://www.orchardcorset.com/pages/waist-training-101

However, if you meant "waist taming" which is something celebrities have talked about and doesn't involve nearly as much... to do... if you will (and is supposed to be part of some sort of workout plan), then don't do any of it! As everyone noted above, working out an genetics determine your shape. Using steel-boned corsets absolutely can affect your shape, but there are two different things being talked about in regards to waist-anything and corsets. :)

Even training with a steel boned waist training corset for most people won't change their predetermined shape. Waist training in that respect takes years and years of tightlacing for most of the day. And once one stops wearing the corset the body naturally returns to its natural shape over time. It's something of a fetish and something very very few people do. Mr Pearl is probably one of the most famous tightlacers (and phenomenal corset maker).

Tightlacing does have its dangers though, as does regular wear of a steel boned corset, in the form of muscular atrophy. If someone enjoys the aesthetic then go ahead but don't be under any illusion that you can easily change what genetics gave you or that wearing a corset every day is going to do anything but soften and weaken your core.

So wear a waist trainer (glorified elastic) as temporary shapewear or indulge in cinching with a steel boned corset now and again if that's your jam. With a realistic expectation of what those things can do.

I have been waist training for over ten years now (which, of course, doesn't make me an expert but I wanted to provide context and my perspective) with steel-boned corsets and recognize the timing it takes and the commitment if a person wants to make this part of their daily wear and practice. I was also unsure of what OP wanted from wait training which is why I suggested a forum if they were interested in traditional waist training with corsets and told them to stop working out with it if they were using it as part of some fitness plan. Surely, if people want to wear cinchers or whatever else, that's fine. It didn't sound like that was what OP was speaking to. Just wanted to provide another perspective to her question since I do this thing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that's still a thing really but I guess I can see that aesthetic appeal to some. I would suggest dropping the waist training and just go with diet and lifting.
  • crystalann412
    crystalann412 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im 24 yrs old , height 5' 1" and I gave birth 7 months ago,at that time weighing in at 153 lbs,and since giving birth I've dropped to an even 120 lbs. Needless to say I loved my pregnancy weight (minus the bump of course lol) but everything else was perfect. I want to gain weight while I also waist train. Any tips on how to keep loss in belly area while I still gain weight?

Hey!! I stumbled on your post and personally wanted to throw out my experience. You can take what you want from this!
    I compete in bodybuilding and, similar to you, I weighed about 120lbs at the beginning of my journey to gain muscle but wanted to put on as little fat as possible. My trainer has me on a very clean diet (consisting of oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and rice as carbs; chicken for protein; and avocado, eggs, and peanut butter for fats) and I have steadily been gaining weight, packing on muscle and gaining little to no fat. I wanted to take this progress one step further and decided to start waist training (LUXX Curces is the brand I use). I am definitely seeing results in a surplus! Yes, is it difficult to eat at times? Yes, so I stop eating when I'm full and about half an hour to an hour later I finish it. I'm still getting all my meals in throughout the day. The only difference is how much I'm able to consume at one time. The one thing I did notice is that the waist trainer is preventing me from holding excess water in my stomach, so I'm not gaining weight as fast as before (not a bad thing, therefore I know if I'm gaining fat, muscle, or water). I hope this helps. 
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    The OP posted this in 2015 - she has either found the answer or moved on!