Good running shoes?

Options
I saw some ASICS Noosa tri 9 for sale and I love the color and look but I don't know if this is a good runner or not. I plan on training for a faster 5k and would like a cushioned shoe. Currently I'm using Nike free 5.0 and they're getting old so it's time to upgrade.

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Every foot is different but I just got some Brooks Ghost 8 and I'm in love with them. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting them again when this pair goes kaput.
  • sporter2169
    sporter2169 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Brooks Ghost 7 and love them. Recommend going to a running store and getting fitted. Made a huge difference for me.
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store where they analyze your gait by recording you run on a treadmill. They can tell you if its a good shoe for your foot, stride, and gait.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    jlewisrn74 wrote: »
    Go to a running store where they analyze your gait by recording you run on a treadmill. They can tell you if its a good shoe for your foot, stride, and gait.

^^^This, and after you find a comfortable shoe compare prices online because you may find better prices online. I am using Asics Gel Venture 4

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »

^^^This, and after you find a comfortable shoe compare prices online because you may find better prices online. I am using Asics Gel Venture 4

Isn't promoting theft of services against MFP rules?
  • mollie_e
    mollie_e Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone gives a *kitten* what you just said. Some people can't afford everything at the mark up brand retail price. Go for it, do what you want.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

^^^This, and after you find a comfortable shoe compare prices online because you may find better prices online.

That's pretty parasitic behaviour.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ....would like a cushioned shoe....
    Currently I'm using Nike free 5.0....

Notwithstanding the point upthread about gait analysis, which can help in identifying the correct shoe, I'd ask whether the Nikes are giving your problems? It would seem strange to move to a cushioned shoe from the Nike unless there was a good reason, particularly if your focus is only 5K.
  • aaroessler
    aaroessler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ASICS are generally going to have more support on the interior of the foot than compared to Nikes. Most ASICS are either for stable stride or slight over pronation. Know your stride and you'll get the right shoe everytime.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    aaroessler wrote: »
    ASICS are generally going to have more support on the interior of the foot than compared to Nikes. Most ASICS are either for stable stride or slight over pronation. Know your stride and you'll get the right shoe everytime.

All brands make shoes in each category, so it's mis-representative to make that assertion.

It's true that the model of Asics is giving more support than the Nike Frees, hence my point above. Why change category of shoes if the Nikes are doing their job.

I would also disagree that knowing gait means always getting the most appropriate shoe, there is quite a lot of variance. fwiw my road shoes are motion control whereas my trail shoes are neutral veering towards minimalist, so it's also about how they're used.

Again in the context of the original post, presumably road 5K, so as long as the Frees are doing their job already going to that model of Asics could cause problems

• GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Notwithstanding the point upthread about gait analysis, which can help in identifying the correct shoe, I'd ask whether the Nikes are giving your problems? It would seem strange to move to a cushioned shoe from the Nike unless there was a good reason, particularly if your focus is only 5K.

Well I was looking at some 5k plans and they include some long runs. The nikes give me blisters which is why I don't run long too many times a week. And I was told more cushion is better if you're training for speed.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you go to a specialty store to get expert advice, take a lap in the shoes you are trying on. I wished I'd done this with my last pair.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you're asking about ASICS in general, it's what I've used for the past fifteen years. You have to try each style out (some are squishier than others), but overall they're great!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Well I was looking at some 5k plans and they include some long runs. The nikes give me blisters which is why I don't run long too many times a week. And I was told more cushion is better if you're training for speed.

Are you wearing a synthetic sock designed to wick your sweat away from your skin? Not doing that caused blisters for me until I bought proper running socks.

• GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Are you wearing a synthetic sock designed to wick your sweat away from your skin? Not doing that caused blisters for me until I bought proper running socks.

No I'm just using regular socks. I'll look into running socks as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Ok, that's understandable although cushion vs motion control is more about running gait, than speed vs distance objecives. If anything I'd veer away from cusioned for speed unless you are an underpronator. Frees are quite minimalist, hence my suggestion to stick with something similar.

With respect to the blistering, all sorts of potential causes, although it's unlikely that going to cusioning will do the trick. Depending on where they are several things could help, including using bodyglide, looking at fit or lacing, and as upthread your socks might be making a difference.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    As stated by other people - Go to a specialized running store and do a full gait analysis.
    Mine started with a barefoot run on a treadmill so go prepared to run.
    When I got my first shoes I tried on a mixed variety of shoes and did the "Fast walk test in the store" checking for Heel lift, toe box room -How they feel. Some shoes were instant rejects, some were maybe and some were oh-yeah. I then took the oh-yeah shoes and went for a run on the in-store treadmill. Again some were quickly rejected and some went over to the maybe pile. When I had completed this I had 2 different shoes that were the winners. One went home with me that day and a month latter the 2nd brand was purchased. That's why I have 2 different brands of shoes in my rotation. At no time did the store staff try to push a certain brand/model of shoe on me.

I understand financial constraints but be cautious buying on-line. There are too many horror stories of people getting that super deal on-line and ending up with some cheap knock-off shoe that does not match the product in the stores and they end up in the junk. Right now is a decent time to look at shoes as there is lots of year end deals/tent sales. I just added 2 pairs to my collection for $100.00 which is dirt cheap.
    Good shoes are cheaper than the cost of medical bills, chiropractic services etc. Also check out you employers Health and Fitness policy - you might be pleasantly surprised with a little cash back for Physical Fitness equipment/Fitness Club memberships.

Here is a link to another post about Running Shoes.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31729078#Comment_31729078
    If you play with the search function in the forums you can probably find this question asked every week so will be able to do lots of reading on this subject
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    mollie_e wrote: »

I don't think anyone gives a *kitten* what you just said. Some people can't afford everything at the mark up brand retail price. Go for it, do what you want.

Some people can't afford lots of things. Decent people go without, unless it's food for their starving child. I'm a cheap SOB, so I bought my shoes off of a markdown rack at Kohl's. Nothing wrong with that, or amazon, as long as you don't steal services under false pretenses. But enjoy your swag.
  • aaroessler
    aaroessler Posts: 32 Member
    Options

All brands make shoes in each category...

Wrong
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

All brands make shoes in each category...

Wrong

Fair. Vivobarefoot only make minimalist shoes.

Your advice was still flawed in the context of the original question.