1700 calories, sedentary female, 5'5, 213lb and still hungry

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Report back if it works! I continue to fight the grumbles to this day.
  • neecewa1
    neecewa1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds extreme but the only way I could shrink my stomach back to normal and get my cravings under control was a three day water fast. If you don't have a lot of health problems look up the benefits and how to do it. They use it to help chemo patients build up their immune system. My friend lost 150 lbs and got her eating under control for the first time in her life using a plan called omnitrician, one phase limits you to 900 calories a day and it was Dr. supervised. It's really shocking how many calories we don't need but our body craves. Fitbit app has helped me most because it actually shows calories burned vs calorie intake, instead of adjusting up for any exercise. Helped me figure out I was consuming way too much. My cravings and hunger is now under control. Also helped knowing our bodies freak out whenever there is a deficit and tell us to eat more even though we shouldn't. It's a survival thing from way back.
  • judywoody
    judywoody Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So this morning I made myself some protein pancakes and when looking at the nutritional chart it was almost perfectly balanced. It hardly touched my stomach and it came up to 420 cals. I no longer feel like I am reasonably full (not stuffed).. shouldn't I feel full after this???? the recipe was: 2eggs, 1.5 bananas, 30g oat flour, 100ml soy milk and an extra 150ml for my coffee.. waah!!
  • SongDragon
    SongDragon Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like pancakes, but I would ship them in favor of eggs and whole wheat toast if you're struggling to feel full. I used to like eggs with cheese or ham on toast. Approximately 400 calories depending on toast and meat or cheese used plus two eggs.
  • Sarri93
    Sarri93 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    Are you on any medications?

I think you may also need to double check the calories burned on the treadmill, 600 seems like an awful lot. By comparison, I basically "run" on an elliptical for 33 minutes (I go about 2.5 miles) and only burn 350.

Well running at an incline greatly increases the calories burned. But also, if you're going based off of the treadmill for the calories burned, that's typically a pretty inflated number. I don't remember numbers as to how inflated it is, but I'm sure you could find something on it.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    judywoody wrote: »
    So this morning I made myself some protein pancakes and when looking at the nutritional chart it was almost perfectly balanced. It hardly touched my stomach and it came up to 420 cals. I no longer feel like I am reasonably full (not stuffed).. shouldn't I feel full after this???? the recipe was: 2eggs, 1.5 bananas, 30g oat flour, 100ml soy milk and an extra 150ml for my coffee.. waah!!

It might be helpful to aim for satisified as opposed to full. This is a hunger scale that might help. Considering that you've only been at this a few weeks you might still be learning your body's signals. https://medical.mit.edu/sites/default/files/hunger_scale.pdf

The other thing that might help is volume eating. Sometimes I have meals that I eat our of mixing bowls because the volume of low calorie food is so high. Usually they're huge salads with a bit of protein. For snacks I'll use things like air popped popcorn, berries, cherry tomatoes, capsicum etc. For my lunch and dinner I just keep adding vegetables until I'm full. Particularly things like green beans, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower etc - they're very filling. I flicked through a few days of your diary - I think you'd benefit from adding more vegetables.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I eat about the same 1600-1700, I'm 126 lbs and I'm always so full that sometimes I don't eat all the planned food. The only difference is that I don't eat dairy and eggs as my diet is mostly whole foods plant-based. I also avoid processed foods, so I'm eating potatoes, whole grains, brown rice, oatmeal, lentils, beans, quinoa, fruits and veggies. I eat a lot of lentils and beans. So my food is very high in fiber which keeps me full for the majority of the day. Usually for dinner I eat a few plates of brown rice with lentils and beans plus a veg and I won't be hungry until the next afternoon and at most snack on fruits like strawberries which are also very filling but low in calories.

Your cheeses and nuts are high in calories from fat but not as filling. Try cutting back and replacing those same calories with a high fiber whole foods like starches and legumes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    I find restricting carbs, especially early in the day helps control my appetite. If I have more than 50g at a single sitting, my blood glucose spikes causing an insulin spike. This results in blood glucose that is too low 2 or 3 hours later. When my blood sugar is low I feel ravenous and crave carbs. If I want a high carb treat, I try to have it in the evening so that my blood glucose doesn't end up yoyo-ing all day with dreadful hunger during the dips.
  • KimsSerenity
    KimsSerenity Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    o:)
  • KimsSerenity
    KimsSerenity Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Over the years, whenever I had some weight to lose, my greatest success was calorie counting. Today I'm on MFP because I know calorie count is the best way to achieve long range success. I think we want the same ending result which is long range success. But that requires a sacrifice... Your going to be hungry. It's part of the process of learning to cut down your portions and giving your tummy time to shrink where you want it. It may be uncomfortable but what change isn't? As time goes by, it will get easier as you adjust and smile at the change in yourself and enjoy the new you. I tell myself often, we are suppose to eat to survive... Not live to eat. Life is about discipline. :-) Just be sure your getting all the vitamins your body needs to be healthy. Being low will make your body hungry. Good Luck! <3
  • judywoody
    Options
    ok so I had second breakfast.. lol.. beans on a small piece of wholemeal toast and one egg.. that brought me to over 700 cals and I am still full now!! so I think I might be better off eating a large bf with more protein. my prepared salad will have to wait till later :-) yes I definitely need to eat more veggies, sometimes I don't record them though.. oops.. it's just a bit fiddly sometimes when I chop lots of different veggies up. thanks so much for all your input. and yes I walk on the treadmill with a 10-15 incline
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My tummy grumbles when I am under stress. (It was a revelation to me when I figured that out!)
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I try to always eat a protein with any fruit. Otherwise it puts me into hunger overdrive.
    I will have an apple and a hard boiled egg.
    Learning ways to keep myself from spiking my blood sugar has really helped me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a cheater's way to log a salad that MFP purists may find offensive. I will sometimes log salads as a generic bag salad an cut up veggies as a generic entry, crudités. The calorie count will be lower so I am not as concerned.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's a cheater's way to log a salad that MFP purists may find offensive. I will sometimes log salads as a generic bag salad an cut up veggies as a generic entry, crudités. The calorie count will be lower so I am not as concerned.

I've never weighed salad ingredients, except for protein and dressing, in the year that I've been doing this. A large lettuce salad is 45 calories. I'll throw in a couple dozen calories for other vegetables. It's jut not worth the effort to weigh 20 grams of cucumber.
  • judywoody
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    I try to always eat a protein with any fruit. Otherwise it puts me into hunger overdrive.
    I will have an apple and a hard boiled egg.
    Learning ways to keep myself from spiking my blood sugar has really helped me.

that's actually a good idea, i like apples and peanut butter
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    neecewa1 wrote: »
    I know it sounds extreme but the only way I could shrink my stomach back to normal and get my cravings under control was a three day water fast. If you don't have a lot of health problems look up the benefits and how to do it. They use it to help chemo patients build up their immune system. My friend lost 150 lbs and got her eating under control for the first time in her life using a plan called omnitrician, one phase limits you to 900 calories a day and it was Dr. supervised. It's really shocking how many calories we don't need but our body craves. Fitbit app has helped me most because it actually shows calories burned vs calorie intake, instead of adjusting up for any exercise. Helped me figure out I was consuming way too much. My cravings and hunger is now under control. Also helped knowing our bodies freak out whenever there is a deficit and tell us to eat more even though we shouldn't. It's a survival thing from way back.

Did you know that everything in your post is wrong and/or against MFP guidelines? Your stomach doesn't shrink, you don't need a "lot" of health problems for three days of fasting to have a negative impact on you, they do NOT use water fasting for chemo patients to build up their immune system, you do not need to eat 900 calories to lose weight or get your eating under control, and your body does not freak out when it's in a deficit. Yikes. Incidentally, 1700 calories isn't even that steep a deficit for OP unless she's much more active than she claims.

OP, as most of the people above have stated, upping fat, fiber, and protein helps. Play around with timing, even 16:8 fasting if it works for your lifestyle. But one thing that jumped out at me in your follow-up comments is your lack of sleep. Did you know that you're depressing your leptin (satiety hormone) and increasing your ghrelin (hunger hormone) production? I've certainly experienced this myself--4 hours of sleep and I can't get full.

Definitely work on playing around with meal timing and macro intake, but it might come down to sleep hygiene.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think you'll feel better in your third week. Also, figuring out the best way to eat for you in a deficit takes a little time. Some people like smaller meals, higher in fat to keep them full. Some like high protein. I eat for volume and protein, and have to find ways to sneak in fat to meet my goal. You'll find what works for you!
  • judywoody
    edited August 2015
    Options
    But one thin)g that jumped out at me in your follow-up comments is your lack of sleep. Di you know that you're depressing your leptin (satiety hormone) and increasing your ghrelin (hunger hormone) production? I've certainly experienced this myself--4 hours of sleep and I can't get full.

Definitely work on playing around with meal timing and macro intake, but it might come down to sleep hygiene.

I am trying to get to bed at 10 but my hubby is a night owl which makes it difficult sometimes. Ideally I should got to bed at 9pm.Mind you, before I started this job I worked shifts and sometimes slept up to 11 hrs uf I had to start later in the day.. eek

My calorie target is deliberately high, I want to lose veeeery slowly. Don't care if it takes 2 years. I just don't wanna be hungry

Today was good. I had my salad at 4.30 pm and then ahem.. an ice cream. I am not feeling hungry today like the days before so the big protein breakfast definitely did it for me
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What is working for me is eating a lot less often (twice per day lately) and becoming comfortable with that hungry feeling. I used to think that I was hungry all the time, but it was more the desire to eat all the time. Desk jobs contribute greatly to this in my experience. It's a lot easier to shake off that desire to eat when you can get your body busy doing other things. Could you get one of those bike stools where you can sit and pedal for part of the day?