As you guys/girls lost weight, did you get more HIs!!!?

Options
shadowconn
shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
edited August 2015 in Chit-Chat
I was just on another thread and it reminded me the big reason I gave up gym memberships - No hi's, HELLOS! Just a bunch of people listening to music or watching TV. after I got down to a semi-reasonable weight . . . I expected more interaction. After all, this is part of the goal. No man wants a fatty patty. Say what you will . . but it's rare a door gets opened for me anymore, and it started the minute I got fat.

So I gave up my gym membership cause the only social interaction I got was from other women . . . maybe once a month wanting to chat diet and exercise. No men. No hellos. No nothing. I just couldn't deal with that. if I am leaving my house, I expect hellos.

Have you noticed any increase in interaction levels as you lost weight?

Replies

• strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    No increased interaction IN the gym. Outside the gym, people are either intimidated and look away or very straight forward
  • tylahquartez323
    tylahquartez323 Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    The more I've grown the more people try to act like a hardass with me at the gym so I'd say less interaction lol
  • tylahquartez323
    Options
    But I go to listen to my music and lift
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    But I go to listen to my music and lift

I ran into a LOT of this. Though, it is entertaining watching bulked men lift . . . It just bored me after awhile.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I got a bit in the beginning, but as time went on...I was even get people on the street or customer while at work trying to chats some and quite a few ask if I wanted to hang out and such. So yeah, as I showed more interesting in actually semi caring in my appearance rather than the look after I had just be at the barn with horses all day, I have gotten a lot more attention.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    you seriously went to the gym with the expectation of getting hit on every time? I'm sorry, cupcake, but that's a sad reason to let go of your membership. the "bulked men" don't care that you get bored of them, they're trying to improve themselves, which is what you should have been focusing on too.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    when you gave up your membership did u stomp your feet and make a pouty face?
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    ....and here I was thinking people went to the gym to workout and be healthier,
    I dont like it when people talk to me at the gym, and as I lose weight more people talk to me and start conversations in general, but supposedly it has more to do with how I carry myself rather than the weight loss, I look more confident and happier as I lose more weight,
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Why do people with no profile info or pic keep making weird threads?

And I've never noticed a change in how many "hello's" I get whether I was heavier or thinner. It isn't about the size of my jeans, it's about my confidence and if I make actual eye contact and smile and say hello, or how are you? This is strange for sure. Sorry you quit the gym over that. Hope when you work out alone, you get the validation you're looking for.
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »

Yeah, this thread is especially ridiculous, which is quite an accomplishment for this place.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    when you gave up your membership did u stomp your feet and make a pouty face?

Lose your sensitivity to that poster? :)

They say most of our stress comes from unmet expectations. At 64 having the right expectations I understand can be hard based on my personal experience with my past false expectations of life.

Because of my arthritis damage I stare at the ground so eye contact is hard. There are physical and emotional reasons for not saying Hello.

Yes, losing weight will almost insure more positive interaction. Unattractive cars do not get my attention like really sharp looking ones do.

As a kid I learned people do not take fat people serious. We would be working in the fields on a Saturday afternoon and I would ask dad if we could quit at 3-4 pm and go to town. He would just say, "You talk like a fat man" and keep on working until dark. I was not fat but I got the message fat people are not to be taken seriously when they talk.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    OP, is it possible that you were staring these dudes down (rather than watching them lift, as you put it) and they decided to ignore you because you made them uncomfortable?

I do think I get checked out more in general. But I'm not trying to meet men at the gym and don't especially notice whether I favor one gender over another when I'm asking someone if they're done with equipment.
  • angelxbaby714
    angelxbaby714 Posts: 939 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When my earphones are in l tend to ignore the world. Sorry :)
  • tylahquartez323
    Options
    melmelw03 wrote: »

And I've never noticed a change in how many "hello's" I get whether I was heavier or thinner. It isn't about the size of my jeans, it's about my confidence and if I make actual eye contact and smile and say hello, or how are you? This is strange for sure. Sorry you quit the gym over that. Hope when you work out alone, you get the validation you're looking for.
    I'd prob ask u for a spot
  • Lifeonmars2015
    Lifeonmars2015 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Go in, work out, sweat, get out.
  • HarlynS
    HarlynS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    people go to the gym to work out, they look away to give people their privacy and personal space......it's not personal.
  • muziique
    muziique Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I go into the gym I'm really focused on my workouts. And everyone else is too. I think going to the gym with expectations of getting someone to say hello is a poor reason to even go to the gym. Focus on you, your health and making the most of your time in there and you won't find the need to have validation from others. That's too bad you dropped your membership for that reason...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    go to a bar if you want attentions