Now gluten-free and lactose-free and gaining weight! Help :)

Options
I was recently diagnosed with IBS and have had to switch to a gluten free, lactose free (except for hard cheese) diet. I have recently started gaining weight. Does anyone have samples of a 1200 calorie plan that follows these guidelines? Thanks!

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hey there..I was diagnosed with celiac two years ago, and have had a heck of a time cleaning up my diet. I call it my Russian roulette with my belly....I can honestly tell you that the last few months have been the easiest....Best advice I can give you is to keep your meals as clean as possible....1200 calories is easy to meet if you don't add in packaged foods or eat at restaurants....I eat mainly veg, fruit and meat, with a small amount of gluten free bread and cheese (maybe twice a week at most). I've tried a method for the last two months where I only eat raw, unprocessed foods before 4 pm each day. No cooking, no packages, no fat, no crap all day. I thought it would be difficult, but it's easy actually...once you wrap your brain around just eating fruits and veg, as much as you want, all day long, you find by 4 pm, your body isn't starving, and when it does become hungry, its usually for good food. (Feel free to view my food diary, I've only started with MFP, but it'll give you an idea of how I get 1200 cals in a given day!)
    Good luck, that was long winded...lol....YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Is that 1200 a self-set goal or did you put in your details into MFP and selected a realistic goal (0.5 to 1 pound a week, looking at your pic)? If it is self-set, put your details into MFP and select a realistic goal.

With that out of the way: congratulations! You can still eat corn-based wheat substitutes and rice-based wheat substitutes! You can also eat rice, corn, veggies, fruits, chocolate, potatoes, sweet potatoes, meat, eggs, hard cheeses, nuts (and nut butters and flours to make your own wheat substitute foodstuffs), oats (probably?), seeds like sunflower and pine, and things like mushrooms, berries, and olives.

Trust me, you have plenty of options! And most likely you can substitute all dairy products with soy or nut based versions. Give it a few weeks and you'll have your pantry set! All you need to lose weight is to eat at a deficit, so log your meals (accurately weighed) into MFP and enjoy your food while staying under your goal net ^_^

PS: writing this as someone who is cereal grain and semi-cereal grain intollerant to the extreme.
  • elliekay010
    elliekay010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have gluten free for 3 years and put on weight. Stay clear of gluten free breads as they are very dense in calories. If you are a baker/good in the kitchen-you can try making my bread from coconut flour (paleo recipe). You can make pancakes too!

Stick with proteins, fruits and veggies. Oh and nuts! Sweet potatoes are great too
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm a celiac who was diagnosed a few years ago. Weight gain is pretty easy with GF substitute foods, so it is often a better bet to cut back on those types of foods. For example GF bread is usually made with more sugar and starches, and less fibre than normal bread so you are absorbing more sugars into your body. If you used to have a sandwich a day, a healthier way to eat would be to just use one slice of bread or wrap your sandwich in a lettuce leaf or coconut flour wrap.

The same goes for GF cereal, bars, cookies, buns, and any pre-prepared and prepackaged foods. Do more of your own cooking, and cut back on any GF substitute foods. JMO.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with IBS and have had to switch to a gluten free, lactose free (except for hard cheese) diet. I have recently started gaining weight. Does anyone have samples of a 1200 calorie plan that follows these guidelines? Thanks!

Don't replace gluten food with gluten free processed food. I only eat gluten free oatmeal and gluten free macaroni once in a while. All the other stuff is processed and will cause weight gain. And I sometimes feel like they cause me digestive issues as well such as the gluten free pretzels, bread, cookies, etc.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Don't replace gluten food with gluten free processed food. I only eat gluten free oatmeal and gluten free macaroni once in a while. All the other stuff is processed and will cause weight gain. And I sometimes feel like they cause me digestive issues as well such as the gluten free pretzels, bread, cookies, etc.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with celiac disease many, many years ago. At the time, I was still nursing my then-toddler daughter. She was dairy intolerant (allergic to the milk protein), so I wasn't eating any dairy either.

In my desperate scramble to replace all the foods I thought I'd have to live without, I bought every cookbook I could find on the internet and ordered all sorts of specialty flours and other ingredients (back then, nothing was available in stores) and made all sorts of breads and pastries.

I gained so much weight.

My advice to anyone who has to live without gluten? Avail yourself of the resources of the celiac associations and societies and read as much as you can about identifying hidden sources of gluten. Even experienced celiacs can get contaminated in a gotcha-fashion (who knew Folgers coffee would gluten me?).

My other piece of advice is to seek out foods and dishes that are naturally gluten-free rather than relying on gluten-free substitutes of gluten-containing items. There is a whole wide world out there full of dishes built around foods that don't contain gluten. There are flatbreads made from chickpea flour, cakes and tortes made with ground almonds and egg whites, rice noodles, and too many dishes made with potatoes to mention ... if you're hankering for starchy things.

I still remember the year I scandalized the family with the idea that I'd be making paella for Christmas dinner. I also made a ganache-glazed dacquoise layered with strawberries and whipped cream. Every bite of that meal was inherently gluten-free, I didn't have to make any adaptations, and it became a huge hit.

The filet mignon and baked potato and garlic mushrooms meal I served the next year was also a big hit. We had Swedish Rice Pudding for dessert with that one.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above me. When I had to stop eating gluten, I gained weight initially for two reasons:

1. As my body healed, I was able to absorb more nutrients (a good thing!).
    2. Suddenly everything I couldn't eat became something I NEEDED. I didn't even like muffins or cupcakes until I realized I could never have one again! I went gluten-free right around when gluten-free products started becoming popular and affordable in grocery stores, and when sweets and breads started becoming readily available, I went a bit overboard. :blush:

I still get pretty excited about the rarer items -- gluten free croissants are a particular weakness -- but I mostly lean towards meals that would traditionally be naturally gluten free.

Christmas paella sounds wonderful.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I'm kind of glad I never have come across gluten-free croissants. But now I think I need to have one at least once in my life.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @japerkins65 there is hope I have learned over the last year after 40 years of life defining IBS.

In my case it may have been caused by all of the NSAID's doctors started me on 40 years ago for arthritis pain (Ankylosing Spondylitis). Last year they wanted to start Enbrel injections for pain management but the risk of deadly side effects were a red flag so I researched pain management by diet ONLY.

Some thought coconut oil was good. Some thought cutting out foods that contain sugars and or grains was good. With cancer and other health risk staring me in the face from Enbrel I tried both starting the first of Aug 2014.

Two months later I was heavy into the coconut oil but had no luck tapering off of food containing sugars and or grains and my pain was getting worse. It was 30 days until I was to start Enbrel injections and I was freaking out.

Then I realized I was addicted to foods containing sugars and or grains. After I learned fats and proteins are required for humans to live but that we had no requirements to eat carbs I left most all carbs 'Cold Turkey' the first of Oct 2014. The first two weeks were hellish in my case but it may have been due to 40 years of serious carb abuse.

By my doctors appointment 7 Nov 2014 my subjective pain level had dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale so I said NO to starting Enbrel injections but the doctors were not excited for me for some reason.

In 6 months the 40 years of IBS was cured and has not returned now nearly a year after I cut out sugars and grains. There has been the side effect of losing some weight but lot of fat like 6 inches at the belt line.

As long as I leave off foods that contain sugars and or grains my pain is well managed. Naturally I plan to stay with my new way of eating.

Since coconut oil is thought to be anti to Bacteria, Fungi and Viruses I expect it was positive for the IBS by killing off any overgrowth of bad stuff.

At 200 pounds now I maintain on 3000 calories and lose at 2600 calories as long as my total carbs are <50 grams daily. This way of eating to manage my pain macro is about 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats. Coconut oil and Heavy Whipping Cream (36% butter fat in the USA) are my daily go to fat sources and things like bacon and eggs.

If diet could cure my 40 year old IBS in six months I expect there is hope for most all.

Keep in mind what worked for me may be very wrong for another. Google will lead you to all the knowledge you wish to know on how to address IBS by diet. Yes, I did not know I was a carb addict until I tried to stop eating them. :)

• Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of glad I never have come across gluten-free croissants. But now I think I need to have one at least once in my life.

If you ever find yourself in San Francisco, go to the Mariposa Bakery. It's dedicated gluten-free and delicious. I don't live in SF, but I have to go there for work for a week every year or so. I eat at Mariposa for breakfast AND lunch when I'm there. :smiley:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »

If you ever find yourself in San Francisco, go to the Mariposa Bakery. It's dedicated gluten-free and delicious. I don't live in SF, but I have to go there for work for a week every year or so. I eat at Mariposa for breakfast AND lunch when I'm there. :smiley:

I had to Google.

They ship.

• KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You should check out Melissa Joulwan's Well-Fed and Well-Fed 2 cookbooks. Her recipes are all Whole30 compliant. (No soy, dairy, gluten, legumes, added sweeteners (natural or artificial).) Not that you are limited with some of those items though. Or, you should check out Russ Crandall's cookbooks. His might be more up your alley as he includes rice, honey, etc. http://thedomesticman.com/cookbooks/
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I usually eat a day:
    Breakfast: egg/veg frittata, omelette or egg bake. Basically eggs and vegetables
    Lunch: salad, soup, stew, chili
    Dinner: any of the lunches above or stir fry, vegetable noodle or vegetable rice dishes (inspiralized.com), stuffed vegetables (zucchini, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, spaghetti squash, etc), casseroles made with vegetable layers and you can swap vegetables, rice, or potatoes for any noodles.

Some of the gluten free replacements are higher in calories than their counterparts - namely bread and pasta. Try to swap out Naturally gluten free items instead like vegetables ie wrap in greens or make pasta out of noodles.
  • hufflepuff03
    hufflepuff03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating gluten free replacement foods? Often they're higher in calories/fat/sugar to make it taste better. The best thing to do is to make bread yourself or eat very little of the gluten free breads.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Diet type does not matter as to weight loss. It's all about calories in/calories out. Perhaps you are eating more calorie dense foods on your gluten free diet?

I see some people who eat gluten free have responded as well. Good luck! :)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There's lots of dishes that are naturally gluten free. Frittatas, steamed/sautéed veggies, grilled/baked meat and seafood, nuts, dried fruit, oatmeal...

You still have to track your calories, all the same. If you stay under your calorie goal, then you'll still lose weight, no matter how many gluten free products you're eating. Just be careful, since many gluten free products tend to be higher in calories.

Have you ever heard of Sami's Bakery? They're based in Tampa, Florida, and they make all sorts of delicious gluten free baked goods. Their breads are delicious, and their lavash breads are really diet friendly. 120 calories and 12 grams of fiber per lavash bread! They come in spinach oregano and sundries tomato, too, so they have lots of variety. They ship, too, so you can always order if you don't live near them.
  • wistyaries
    wistyaries Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have gluten free for 3 years and put on weight. Stay clear of gluten free breads as they are very dense in calories. If you are a baker/good in the kitchen-you can try making my bread from coconut flour (paleo recipe). You can make pancakes too!

Stick with proteins, fruits and veggies. Oh and nuts! Sweet potatoes are great too

I'd love this recipe, please!
  • louinda1
    louinda1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was advised by my GP to cut out Gluten & Dairy 3 months ago & to go on the FODMAP diet to discover what foods contribute to my IBS. It has been a struggle & in three months I have put on 9 pounds. I brought all sorts of gluten free products & even started baking again. I ate everything I could in bigger portions than I should as I was feeling sorry for myself & as my excuse I told myself "But that's all I can eat". So I gave myself the excuse I wanted to over eat on the foods that I could have.
    I am thankfully starting to take control again & learning to be more in control & more accountable to myself for what I eat. Gluten free pre-packed foods are full of sugars & fructose to give the flavours & these are easily absorbed by our bodies & then stored as fat.
    Going Dairy & Gluten free isn't easy to do all at once cold & as you settle into your new way of eating you will learn what foods are good safe diet foods & what are good comfort foods & you will find a good balance.
    Good luck & contact me if I can help in anyway. oh & I'm in the UK. :)