Turning 50, just started here, calories question

Options
Hi everyone,
I am on day 3 of using MFP to log calories along with having a new Vivosmart on my wrist. I have never been a huge eater but would eat a lot of crappy fast foods and candy at times. I have noticed a real difference in my thinking patterns using MFP because I can punch in the junk I am tempted to buy and see how that will play havoc with my goals. It's been working so far and I am not craving. I will be turning 50 next week and need to lose about 30 pounds. My goal is to turn 50 with a new outlook and get fit.

My problem though is that every day since I began, I never reach my calorie goal. I'm always at least 300-400 off and get a "You're not eating enough" message. I don't feel hungry, I space out what I eat during the day so I'm not hungry and don't eat after 6 p.m. unless I have to because I want to push my calories up in MFP a little bit. I drink several cups of well iced decaf green tea after 6 and really feel good. I worry that I should force myself to eat when I'm not hungry in order to reach the calorie number in the system here and wonder if that's the best plan.

Here is what I have left to fill today if I want to reach the set goal:

456 Calories
51 Carbs
29 Fat
Protein -9
Sodium 236
Sugar 6

It is 7:45 p.m. and I'm not hungry so I won't be eating anything else today so I will have to deal with the shortfall. I was trying to figure out what I could eat that would add calories but not push the other things over the edge and had a rough time with that.

My issue with losing weight comes down to one thing and one thing only: laziness. If I have the option of sitting around reading a book vs. hopping on the treadmill for 30 minutes, I'll read. Then I'll force myself to get on the treadmill for a walk and once I do, I think "Wow, I really like doing this" but the next day I just won't do it. I cannot get myself to do this every day or even a few days a week. I just do it once in a blue moon and again think "Why don't I do this more often?" It's so strange but there it is.

If anyone wants to add me as a friend for support and motivation and maybe a little dose of accountability, please add me. I am so glad to be here doing this. It is a good first step for me and going it alone may be why I have been less than motivated.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you actually eating? Is it only the exercise calories being left uneaten or calories from your actual daily allowance?
  • claremaigheo
    claremaigheo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The goal set for me is 1200 but I"m always around 850-900 or so and feel fine. I've never been a big eater. This is the number without exercise.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    You are definitely under-eating. By under-eating, your body will likely use muscle instead of fat for the energy it needs. You want to lose fat not muscle.

You should consider eating calorie dense foods to get calories in. Are you getting sufficient good fats? Consider using standard products instead of low or no fat products.

Eat nuts, seeds, get good fats such as avocado, use olive oil for salad dressings,etc

• claremaigheo
    Options
    I will google calorie dense foods. I am a very, very picky eater so that makes things a bit challenging. Is it okay for the other things on the list to be over the limit by a bit in order to get the calories up. I just can't seem to find a balance.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What foods are you eating? People could give you more advice if you opened your diary.

Add back in some of the foods that you think you had to give up.

I made a personal pan pizza tonight for my dinner...350 calories...load with protein, veggies and cheese.

I have peanut butter almost every day.

I struggle with getting enough fat so last night I had zucchini with an avocado sauce and chicken with a bit of cheese.

There are plenty of good and nutritious foods that will bring you up to goal.

I am not someone that thinks you have to always eat to calorie goal and some days I am not even close but that is not often. You will eventually get hungry...and eat...a lot!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I will google calorie dense foods. I am a very, very picky eater so that makes things a bit challenging. Is it okay for the other things on the list to be over the limit by a bit in order to get the calories up. I just can't seem to find a balance.

The carbs do not matter so much. Same with the fats. You can go over or under on them.
    >> Do try to get enough protein. :) Here is a list of calorie dense foods. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If I had 400+ cals left....I would sip a big chocolate, ice cold protein shake. One day soon you are going to wake up really hungry and really tired. I've been there. Eat your calories girlfriend!
    ;)
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    The honeymoon period you are experiencing usually lasts 2 weeks or so. It feels soooo easy... Then, one day, one wakes up hungry!

Make sure you keep your protein levels up, pay attention to your macros/nutrients in general, and start listening to your body.

Oh! And don't forget to take good 'before' picks and a good set of measurements!
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The honeymoon period you are experiencing usually lasts 2 weeks or so. It feels soooo easy... Then, one day, one wakes up hungry!

Make sure you keep your protein levels up, pay attention to your macros/nutrients in general, and start listening to your body.

Oh! And don't forget to take good 'before' picks and a good set of measurements!

This is so true I am on day 18 and the other day I just wanted to eat anything my little paws could get my hands obviously
    Stopping yourself is the hard bit. But so worth it.
  • claremaigheo
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was always going over on the protein, it was the calories that I needed. I have never been accountable with what I am eating so this is all very new. I did better today. I was under the impression that you should eat as little fat as possible so I stayed away from things like peanut butter, but I see that is not the case. I have about 300 calories left for today and will be eating later, so it looks like I am getting the hang of timing and choosing good foods.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For exercise, if you want to read, read. While reading, march in place. I watch TV in the evening. While I do, I march in place. I just topped up my steps to get to 10,000. It took about 40 minutes. The excercise will help you retain muscle and lose fat.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 and lowered it to 1100. Had lost 8 pounds in 7 weeks. The past two days I've been really hungry. I was weak exercising this am. So the last two days I've eaten about 300 calories over, trying not to binge, just to get my body to settle down. If I were you I'd stay close to 1100-1200 and eat back your exercise calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The goal set for me is 1200 but I"m always around 850-900 or so and feel fine. I've never been a big eater. This is the number without exercise.

Eat to your goal

There is no reason to stop eating at an arbitrary time

Everyone over controls to start, you need longevity here
  • Sued0nim
    edited August 2015
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm at 1200 and lowered it to 1100. Had lost 8 pounds in 7 weeks. The past two days I've been really hungry. I was weak exercising this am. So the last two days I've eaten about 300 calories over, trying not to binge, just to get my body to settle down. If I were you I'd stay close to 1100-1200 and eat back your exercise calories.

- 1200 should be minimum to ensure adequate nutrition plus you should be eating back your exercise calories on top (at least 50-75% of MFP database)

Fuel your body appropriately
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was always going over on the protein, it was the calories that I needed. I have never been accountable with what I am eating so this is all very new. I did better today. I was under the impression that you should eat as little fat as possible so I stayed away from things like peanut butter, but I see that is not the case. I have about 300 calories left for today and will be eating later, so it looks like I am getting the hang of timing and choosing good foods.

Protein and fat macros are MINIMUMS to reach