Quest bars and difference in texture/taste

Options
I buy about 4 boxes a month (always the same flavors) and found that depending on what website/store I buy them from, there are huge taste and texture discrepancies. Has anyone else noticed this? I have even compared them side by side. Sometimes they are really thick and "floury" tasting and other times they are sticky and less dense. I prefer them sticky and less dense as I think they taste 100x better. It is just so annoying because every box I find is a little bit different and I find myself hating flavors out of some boxes, but loving them out of others.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this? I eat about 3-4 a day though, so maybe no one else eats as many as me to notice haha.

Replies

• Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Check expiry dates... Age makes a difference, I find.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    Mpol2 wrote: »
    Check expiry dates... Age makes a difference, I find.

I never really noticed but I was going to suggest this too.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I buy mine only from Amazon but I've noticed that too.

Sometimes they seem like they've been melted and then re solidified. I don't really notice a big difference in flavor though.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Maybe they got stored too hot?

I get mine from Publix and get chocolate chip cookie dough

Always the same

Always on the yum!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I buy mine only from Amazon but I've noticed that too.

Sometimes they seem like they've been melted and then re solidified. I don't really notice a big difference in flavor though.

yep, that was my thought too. I ordered a box once through the Internet. It was the middle of summer, and you could tell they had melted at some point in the journey. That box definitely tasted different to the ones I usually buy from the store.

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! I've noticed this too. I always buy them from gnc (at three different stores) and they don't always have a consistent texture, sometimes melty and gooey other times grainy and hard. The quest bars I buy have a good turn over and have at least 3 months until expiry. I prefer them gooey, yesterday I had the best quest cookies and cream bar I've ever tasted.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Have you tried microwaving them for 5-10 seconds? That warms them up and makes even the chalkier ones super gooey.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    If you go to the quest site they have changed the formula. I prefer the sticky formula for most of my flavors then a few others I don't mind the new formula. If you get the sticky its the old batch.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have found this. Sometimes I think it's the temperature where they were stored. Some of them just kind of suck though. Strawberry cheesecake? No thanks.