Can you eat the exercise calories?

Options
eating 1200 calories a day is very difficult for me. I have a Fitbit and it syncs with myfitnesspal. Can I eat the extra calories it's saying I can due to my exercise? As long as the net is 1200?

Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • qshadab
    qshadab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh yes
  • CaitlinT10
    CaitlinT10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if the people here with all the success do that or not.
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    1200 was to low for me as well until my nutrition increase to 1450 with low carbs...On 1200 and working out very intense was not losing always hungry eating junk...Now I am very happy at 1400 and stronger
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I find my Fitbit to be very accurate. I feel much better when I can eat the 300-500 additional calories that come from my aerobic exercise.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    CaitlinT10 wrote: »
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if the people here with all the success do that or not.

yeps and lost over 106 pounds

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you follow these instructions (and log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly), you'll be eating TDEE minus deficit.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

In the MFP app, go to More > Steps and choose Fitbit.

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments. No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • CaitlinT10
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you follow these instructions (and log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly), you'll be eating TDEE minus deficit.

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

In the MFP app, go to More > Steps and choose Fitbit.

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments. No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I'm still so confused as right now MyFitnessPal says 1,466 food plus 254 exercise (from Fitbit) and I'm at a total of -12 cals. I just need to run around a bit to burn that off.
    However Fitbit says I'm 461 calories over target with 1,466 in and 1,644 out.
    Who is right? Do I need to burn 461 more calories per Fitbit or 16 per MyFitnessPal?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    MyFitnessPal says 1,466 food plus 254 exercise (from Fitbit) and I'm at a total of -12 cals.

However Fitbit says I'm 461 calories over target with 1,466 in and 1,644 out.
    Who is right?

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's.
  • CaitlinT10
    Options
    Thank you! I would think it would be the same I guess not. Appreciate your help. A few weeks ago I ended up binging like every day trying to follow fitbits calories. I felt I was constantly having to walk and walk and walk to burn off all the extra calories.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    A few weeks ago I ended up binging like every day trying to follow fitbits calories. I felt I was constantly having to walk and walk and walk to burn off all the extra calories.

Fitbit prorates your calories by time of day—and goes way below 1,200. Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal.

Bingeing can be caused by setting your deficit too aggressively for your size. The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I cycle for my main cardio

The Map My Ride program gives way high calorie burns

I count 1/2 to eat back.

I don't have a fit bit, don't log morning elliptical calories burnt (45 min usually)

Lost 130 in two years

Have spent time adding muscle as well

MFP seems pretty ok. I just eat 1/2 back. But I may have a slower metabolism.

It works.
  • CaitlinT10
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I ended up binging like every day trying to follow fitbits calories. I felt I was constantly having to walk and walk and walk to burn off all the extra calories.

Fitbit prorates your calories by time of day—and goes way below 1,200. Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal.

Bingeing can be caused by setting your deficit too aggressively for your size. The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight.

Ahh that's it. My goal was 2 pounds a week and I only have to lose 25 pounds. That should solve it.
  • jdj595
    jdj595 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I would just drink lots of water when I felt hungry. Stayed at the1200 cal and lost 10-12 lbs a week and kept it off until I had to have surgery and couldn't exercise for 2.5 years. Now starting all over again.
  • jdj595
    jdj595 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I will say this to motivate myself again and everyone else. In one year I went from a size 16 to a size 2-4. Felt great. Before I cut calories I worked out weight lifting for 12 weeks. The first 2 months I went from a size 16 to an 8-10 (I have a big butt and small waist), but only lost 2-3 lbs. my trainer complained that I wasn't dieting so I took a month break from weight training and did 1200 cal. Dropped 12 lbs my first week and 10 lbs every week after. Went back to the gym for a month, then did the 1200 cal for a month. This whole time I continued dropping weight. Every month I did a body cleanse for 3 days. I would eat fruit for 3 days and water. Nothing else. Made a huge fruit salad and munched constantly for 3 days. Would drop 10 lbs in the 3 days. I had glowing skin and abs and looked so sexy. I finally plateaued at 135-140 lbs. solid muscle. My goal was 125-130 lbs so I wasn't too happy about getting stuck. But I was a size 2-4. Low fat content and solid compact muscle. No bulk. But life happens and I wAs put on exercise restrictions. Had surgery. Meds and everything made me gain 70 lbs. and that's just after surgery. Activity restrictions made me gain 50 lbs before surgery. I've never been this overweight ever. It's awful. So hard to get motivated again. But we can do it!
  • alainna2012
    alainna2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jdj595 wrote: »
    I will say this to motivate myself again and everyone else. In one year I went from a size 16 to a size 2-4. Felt great. Before I cut calories I worked out weight lifting for 12 weeks. The first 2 months I went from a size 16 to an 8-10 (I have a big butt and small waist), but only lost 2-3 lbs. my trainer complained that I wasn't dieting so I took a month break from weight training and did 1200 cal. Dropped 12 lbs my first week and 10 lbs every week after. Went back to the gym for a month, then did the 1200 cal for a month. This whole time I continued dropping weight. Every month I did a body cleanse for 3 days. I would eat fruit for 3 days and water. Nothing else. Made a huge fruit salad and munched constantly for 3 days. Would drop 10 lbs in the 3 days. I had glowing skin and abs and looked so sexy. I finally plateaued at 135-140 lbs. solid muscle. My goal was 125-130 lbs so I wasn't too happy about getting stuck. But I was a size 2-4. Low fat content and solid compact muscle. No bulk. But life happens and I wAs put on exercise restrictions. Had surgery. Meds and everything made me gain 70 lbs. and that's just after surgery. Activity restrictions made me gain 50 lbs before surgery. I've never been this overweight ever. It's awful. So hard to get motivated again. But we can do it!

• alainna2012
    alainna2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    wow amazing story, im doing the same 1200 calorie, i tought i was being too low, i had a baby and gain 40 lbs its been super hard but i know i can do it. If you did it i will do it too.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I would just drink lots of water when I felt hungry. Stayed at the1200 cal and lost 10-12 lbs a week and kept it off until I had to have surgery and couldn't exercise for 2.5 years. Now starting all over again.

You lost 10-12lbs a week

That is either a monstrous typo or you're in the liar, liar, pants on fire zone
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I will say this to motivate myself again and everyone else. In one year I went from a size 16 to a size 2-4. Felt great. Before I cut calories I worked out weight lifting for 12 weeks

. The first 2 months I went from a size 16 to an 8-10 (I have a big butt and small waist), but only lost 2-3 lbs

LOL

. my trainer complained that I wasn't dieting so I took a month break from weight training and did 1200 cal.

Dropped 12 lbs my first week and 10 lbs every week after.

right, so you we're eating 35000 calories below your maintenance TDEE per week, so that's a defecit of 5000 calories a day...LOL

Went back to the gym for a month, then did the 1200 cal for a month. This whole time I continued dropping weight.

Every month I did a body cleanse for 3 days.

LOL ...what do you think you're cleansing

I would eat fruit for 3 days and water. Nothing else. Made a huge fruit salad and munched constantly for 3 days. Would drop 10 lbs in the 3 days.

now I get it, you're manipulating water weight so every month you'd drop carbs and eat stupid and drop 10lbs water weight only to put it back on

I had glowing skin and abs and looked so sexy. I finally plateaued at 135-140 lbs. solid muscle.

LOL - hypertrophy in a massive defecit and a female ....yeah, no

My goal was 125-130 lbs so I wasn't too happy about getting stuck. But I was a size 2-4. Low fat content and solid compact muscle. No bulk. But life happens and I wAs put on exercise restrictions. Had surgery. Meds and everything made me gain 70 lbs. and that's just after surgery.
    eating more calories makes you put on weight, not following a ridiculous regime makes you put on weight

Activity restrictions made me gain 50 lbs before surgery. I've never been this overweight ever. It's awful. So hard to get motivated again. But we can do it!

I don't believe a single word of this post and I can't let it stand because people reading, who don't know any better, might think there's some sense in it ...when it's just bunkum from start to finish
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I will say this to motivate myself again and everyone else. In one year I went from a size 16 to a size 2-4. Felt great. Before I cut calories I worked out weight lifting for 12 weeks

. The first 2 months I went from a size 16 to an 8-10 (I have a big butt and small waist), but only lost 2-3 lbs

LOL

. my trainer complained that I wasn't dieting so I took a month break from weight training and did 1200 cal.

Dropped 12 lbs my first week and 10 lbs every week after.

right, so you we're eating 35000 calories below your maintenance TDEE per week, so that's a defecit of 5000 calories a day...LOL

Went back to the gym for a month, then did the 1200 cal for a month. This whole time I continued dropping weight.

Every month I did a body cleanse for 3 days.

LOL ...what do you think you're cleansing

I would eat fruit for 3 days and water. Nothing else. Made a huge fruit salad and munched constantly for 3 days. Would drop 10 lbs in the 3 days.

now I get it, you're manipulating water weight so every month you'd drop carbs and eat stupid and drop 10lbs water weight only to put it back on

I had glowing skin and abs and looked so sexy. I finally plateaued at 135-140 lbs. solid muscle.

LOL - hypertrophy in a massive defecit and a female ....yeah, no

My goal was 125-130 lbs so I wasn't too happy about getting stuck. But I was a size 2-4. Low fat content and solid compact muscle. No bulk. But life happens and I wAs put on exercise restrictions. Had surgery. Meds and everything made me gain 70 lbs. and that's just after surgery.
    eating more calories makes you put on weight, not following a ridiculous regime makes you put on weight

Activity restrictions made me gain 50 lbs before surgery. I've never been this overweight ever. It's awful. So hard to get motivated again. But we can do it!

I don't believe a single word of this post and I can't let it stand because people reading, who don't know any better, might think there's some sense in it ...when it's just bunkum from start to finish

Whether any of that is true or not, this person hasn't learned to eat at their calorie limit.

Their profile says they have 100lbs to lose.

All of that is a very, very bad example and should not be listened to. :/