PROTEIN. How much? When? Why?

Options
Hi I have been excercising for 1.5 yrs consistently now. Some days aerobic and cardio. Some days weight training. I have never taken protein and probably do not ingest enough in my diet I am 5.5" and 135 lbs. how much do I need? When do I ingest it? Why? Thank you!

Replies

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean whey protein? you DON'T need it if you can hit your protein intake goals through whole foods/meats etc. Whey can help if you struggle to hit your protein macros day to day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter and you don't need supplements unless you're a bodybuilder or something. Just try to eat 100g of protein a day.
  • winterandkira
    winterandkira Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input. I heard u should eat or drink ur protein within an hour of working out. Have u heard this?
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is supposed to help your muscles after you work out.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input. I heard u should eat or drink ur protein within an hour of working out. Have u heard this?

Something like that is on the back of the protein jar. Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to tell you if that's marketing or science.

I keep thinking I should wait until I've lifted to consume it, but I only put it in my coffee so that's a bit tricky.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    You've been working out for a year and a half. Are you happy with your results? If you are, don't waste your money on protein supplements.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. In general If you are looking to gain muscle (to do so you need to be eating at a caloric excess see more details here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1) you should be eating about .6-.8 g protein / lb body weight (See more here: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/). If you are looking to lose weight and are lifting and exercising regularly then .6-.8 g protein / lb body weight is still the right amount, but you need to eat it while in caloric deficit, see the same article above for more details.

I personally aim for .8g / lb (going over the minimum will not hurt, so I figure go for the top of the scale) and am currently trying to lose weight while lifting heavy to try and maintain muscle as much as possible and maximize the amount of fat loss.

Protein shakes can be a good and convenient way to add protein at relatively low caloric cost, so many people supplement their diets with it.