1/2 pound a week weight loss goal?

Options
2»

Replies

• AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You know...I haven't actually made it a goal, but it seems to be what I'm losing and I'm ok with that. I'm going in the right direction! Plus...times I've lost more I haven't been eating enough or I've been working out like a mad woman, and I just can't maintain that.
  • Jensenwellington
    Jensenwellington Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same here. On 1500 calories (custom) and doing very little exercise. Have often done the 1200 or exercised at least 1 hour a day. This never was a permanent thing and I realized my problem was with portion control and emotional eating :-D So now I am working more on building healthy eating habits than losing a lot. On my 10th day now and it seems to be working. I weigh myself very rarely (less than once a month) but as long as I know that I maintain a calorie deficit - I am happy.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine trying to lose more than half a pound a week. To me, it's perfect. I don't feel deprived (usually), and I meet my goals.
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well I tend to loose very slowly, maybe.3 kgs or .4 kgs pw. This is not out of choice, it's all my body allows. To loose this little amount I have to fast 3 days a week and stick to 1500 other days. Actually it's not so bad. A couple of months ago I was only loosing .2 kgs every 2 weeks, so things have speeded up a bit recently! But then I was fasting 2 days a week not 3 so that accounts for the difference. I have not got much more to loose so it makes sense. I AM ALMOST at maintenance. This is never going to be easy?...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yep. It doesn't come off at that rate, more like...nothing, nothing, nothing BAM a pound a half.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I lost about 1.1 pounds per week for the first 6 months or so, then ratcheted back to 0.75 pounds for the next six months, and then 0.5 pounds for six more months, when I only had 15-20 pounds to go. I think it made the transition to maintenance a lot easier than if I had sustained a higher weight loss all the way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    vlovell24 wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know how you guys do the .5lb a week thing. A cup of water could be a half a pound. I would go nuts trying to figure out if I actually lost any weight.

Hormones are worse than a cup of water. I wipe out my monthly loss each menstrual cycle.

That's how I've been maintaining for a year, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty lean at around 12% and trying to get down around 10%...I'm losing about 1/2 Lb per week. The difficulty for many is that actual weekly losses of fat can easily be masked by other things (water and waste) so often you can't really see what's going on scale wise for weeks...this can obviously be frustrating for some. Another pitfall to consider is that there is very little margin for error...you have to be on your game.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty lean at around 12% and trying to get down around 10%...I'm losing about 1/2 Lb per week. The difficulty for many is that actual weekly losses of fat can easily be masked by other things (water and waste) so often you can't really see what's going on scale wise for weeks...this can obviously be frustrating for some. Another pitfall to consider is that there is very little margin for error...you have to be on your game.

These are exactly my issues now. Between hormones and high sodium intake, I can go for weeks without seeing anything. And logging has to be so precise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

These are exactly my issues now. Between hormones and high sodium intake, I can go for weeks without seeing anything. And logging has to be so precise.

if you're already pretty lean (as you would appear to be) it is going to be that much more important to look at measurements and BF% rather than the actual weight on the scale. with such a small deficit you can actually lean out but not see much difference on the scale at all. classic re-comp territory, especially if you're hitting the weight room.
  • 46beth
    46beth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am back just over a week and my goal 1/2 lb a week. I weigh myself early in the morning before I drink or eat anything. I have to lose 5kg.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    anyone lose on this setting? I know loss will be slower but I do a healthy amount of exercise each week and generally tend to be hungry with my current calorie setting. Thanks

Very good choice. If one fails at .5 pound setting they were never going to succeed at a greater setting most likely.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Yeah, and eating out is even less forgiving if you're underestimating your calories.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

True, the margin of error for calories in is tiny.

Same for calories out, but adding more endurance stuff where you can (if possible) helps create a buffer. I can't now, so am having to tighten things up on the intake side. Sucks.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Lost it all ( 30lb) on .5 lb a week ( give PT take).
    Small and old so not much option. It all went, eventually. Exercise was basically my deficit, and counting had to be tight.

Cheers, h.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I do! It's a slow process but definitely my tummy's happier.