Preparing for gastric bypass

Options
I was told this is a great app to keep in track with food intake, liquid, and exercise. Has anyone else or is anyone having gastric bypass surgery? I'd love support.

Replies

• terrilynn1982
    terrilynn1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I had gastric bypass sleeve surgery august 5th! I have lost 16 pounds since my surgery 61 total. You can add me if you would like.
  • AndreasEvans
    AndreasEvans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really don't want to upset anything so please do not read on if you are now 100% sure you want to go ahead.

In any event I onlyhave the experience of one friend who underwent such drastic surgery and whilst it was great for the first 5-10 years...sadly it's not a long term solution (well not for him) and a change in lifestyle really seems to be the only thing that works long term.

I guess sometimes you have to decide if you want to take the path that's easy...or the path that's right? (And I am NOT suggesting surgery is easy...really I'm not, it's more a case of the other path being really, really hard!).

I hope you don't mind me commenting (it is with every good intention) and whatever you choose...I wish you good luck and success.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have 135lbs to lose. I am trying to do it the old fashioned way however have considered lap band surgery if it doesn't work. So far I have lost 12lbs since first of August 8. Increasing fruit, vegetable, lean proteins and nut intake and only allowing processed foods once a week as a cheat. I have a lot more energy, sleep better, and never feel starved every couple of hours. Being a nurse I know that gastric bypass is a extreme measure but if everything else has failed and you are willing to make changes to make it work congrats. Just be mindful of you nutrients because this surgery can cause types of malnutrition due to absorption changes post surgery. Good luck however you proceed it is all about getting healthy. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • terrilynn1982
    Options
    In my case having the sleeve is a tool and nothing more. It's not the easy way out its not a quick fix. It's to help you become healthier. And yes sometime people gain weight back. And yes your stomach can stretch out in time. If you drink carbonated drinks ect. Make good choices and eat the portion size your doctor tells you. I think you will do great. Believe me months before my surgery I had many people advice me and tell me not to have it. That I could do it on my own. To me the benifits out weight the risks. And no one will convince me otherwise. My highest weight was almost 300 pounds. And now I'm currently 226. 66 pounds from my goal and with my tool. Eating right and exerise I will get there. Good luck to you. You got this!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I only learned the details of the surgery last week. It does sound like an extreme step to me but pain management was my main object but did have 75 pounds to lose to become very mobile again. Thankfully low carb high fat is managing my pain, cured IBS and I am down 50 pounds from my peak in early 2014. I was on reduced calories before but now I am high calorie (2600 to lose and 3000 to maintain).

If surgery was one's only option to force a new eating lifestyle then so be it. At least I read the surgery can be reversed.
  • ljstewart0825
    ljstewart0825 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm not doing this surgery as an easy way out because this is far from easy just to do it and the work afterwards will be a whole new life style. I AM READY THOUGH. I've weighed 300 lbs for 4-5 years now and peaked at 314. I've tried every diet, weight loss program, pull, etc known to man. I've lost some, gained some, over and over. I have 2 children that play sports and I have no energy to do much with them. I don't want to be like that anymore. It's TIME!
  • terrilynn1982
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm not doing this surgery as an easy way out because this is far from easy just to do it and the work afterwards will be a whole new life style. I AM READY THOUGH. I've weighed 300 lbs for 4-5 years now and peaked at 314. I've tried every diet, weight loss program, pull, etc known to man. I've lost some, gained some, over and over. I have 2 children that play sports and I have no energy to do much with them. I don't want to be like that anymore. It's TIME!

Girl I felt the same way I will never regret my choice to have my gastric bypass sleeve surgery. No matter what. I'm so close to onderland I can taste it. Good luck with everything. And if you want a friend you can add me.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery. I hope you have a quick recovery time. Add me as a friend if you like have a lot to lose to. Like I said I have considered lap band if this doesn't work that will be my next step.
  • phucks1421
    phucks1421 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new and trying to figure out how to add friends. Would love for you to add me, sounds like we might be on the same path!
  • hollyabney81
    hollyabney81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having Gastric bypass in November. Had the lap band and got it removed in August.