Maintaining mostly at 1200

Can I check if anyone else 'seems' to maintain at 1200. I'm 5ft 3, 40yrs and sedentary. I also have a problem walking fast due to a condition with my legs. I suspect that actually I am underestimating what I eat and am actually eating over 1200, so my plan is to be stricter with the scales. Did anybody else solve this problem. Ps I work out way more than I used to at 3x per week. I only have about 5 pounds to go..

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Oh rabbitjb,
    When I am sedentary my maintenance is 1200. Honest. ( little old lady, hee hee)

Nic, you didn't give your weight, but 1200 for maintenance is low.
    Tighten up your weighing and logging.
    The last 5 lb can be very slow to come off. Just keep at it and it will come off eventually.
    If you are interested in a little more activity, try going to the pool. Swimming, water walking/jogging, or aqua fit are excellent low impact ways to exercise.
    You don't have to to lose weight though.

Cheers, h.

Little old lady exception

(Nowt old about you ...you're fierce :heart:)
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nobody maintains at 1200

You're right your issue is logging accuracy

But it's also probably that you are reacting to short term scale fluctuations as you increase calories...look at reverse dieting

Incorrect!

A five foot tall 100 pound woman maintains at roughly around 1200 and is in a healthy bmi.

I would doubt it at that weight and height, but there ARE people who have to subsist on that not to gain weight....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    lesteidel wrote: »
    Nobody maintains at 1200

But it's also probably that you are reacting to short term scale fluctuations as you increase calories...look at reverse dieting

Incorrect!

A five foot tall 100 pound woman maintains at roughly around 1200 and is in a healthy bmi.

I would doubt it at that weight and height, but there ARE people who have to subsist on that not to gain weight....

and they'd have to do practically nothing....

the average female with little in the way of deliberate exercise is going to maintain somewhere between 1700-2000 calories per day.

my wife is 5'3" and 40 and maintains on 2300+ calories per day...granted she's a runner...but srsly, I think way to many people over-react to natural weight fluctuations and suddenly think they're gaining weight. and really, too many people put way too much stock in the scale without knowing what makes up that number...seems like a lot of people think it's all just fat...it's rather ridiculous really.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Agreed that you're probably eating more than you think.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Maybe so, but when I
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lesteidel wrote: »
    Nobody maintains at 1200

Incorrect!

and they'd have to do practically nothing....

the average female with little in the way of deliberate exercise is going to maintain somewhere between 1700-2000 calories per day.

my wife is 5'3" and 40 and maintains on 2300+ calories per day...granted she's a runner...but srsly, I think way to many people over-react to natural weight fluctuations and suddenly think they're gaining weight. and really, too many people put way too much stock in the scale without knowing what makes up that number...seems like a lot of people think it's all just fat...it's rather ridiculous really.

Maybe so, however, I surely gained weight on 1500 calories a day when I had a torn muscle. Some people actually DO need less food. And that 3 inches actually makes a big difference. At that height 1 or 2 does in calorie allowance. I am not saying it is by any means the norm, i am just saying it is unfair to say that NOBODY maintains at that, I did five years ago. Wouldn't be here if I had stuck to that amount until my leg healed.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    I posted this the other day because I was surprised...
    I'm 5'8" and 58 yo. To maintain my ideal weight at a sedentary setting was 1500 cals. So someone much shorter could easily maintain at 1200 calories.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Brittbam89 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I am also on the 12,00 calorie diet. I feel like I maintain it very well and often have 200-300 calories that I'm trying to use up for before bed time. I was recently pregnant and couldn't do this diet, but now I'm back at it again. The first time around it worked very well! I lost 25 pounds in just a few months, but I'd always hit a plato, around 15-20 lbs weight loss, to where I couldn't lose anymore weight.... But I started taking Magnesium supplements (400mg) before bed time and it would really boost my weight loss. I'm talking about waking up and being down half a pound or even a full pound down form the day before.

Magnesium helps to regulate insulin and glucose, so it helps your body process sugars. It really helps with reducing belly fat :).

Glad to hear that helps! I just read about magnesium and grabbed a bottle at the store. I learned to never take them during the day though... I was so tired. Lol
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    My maintenance is around 1300: 5'1", 105 pounds, 60 years old. I've come to accept that this is what my body needs and I'm mostly okay with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    how sedentary are all of you? get up and do something...
  • DebJ618
    DebJ618 Posts: 36 Member
    I have PCOS, IR (insulin resistance/pre diabetic - whatever fancy wording you want to use), and a few other things...
    Research has shown now that women with certain hormonal imbalances (IR, especially PCOS, sometimes certain genetic make-up) actually have a much lower bmr and specifically lower caloric need. It isn't just the slower metabolism that needs to somehow be bumped up it is genetic and natural.
    The problem is most calculators are for average women. The woman with any of these challenges may need anywhere from 200 to 700 calories less per day. That means the typical woman needing say 1900 calories the woman with imbalances/etc may maintain on something from 1200 to 1700 calories a day.

For me personally if I am eating above 1500 calories I will gain weight... pretty much regardless of what I eat. I have done Paleo successfully in the past but even then if my caloric intake went too much above 1500 the weight loss stalled. Now at that time I did a general calorie count now I am counting pretty much everything, double checking the values of the foods on here, etc...
    To lose weight I have to go below that amount.
    I further have found fasting (5:2 adjusted at the moment) has given me huge benefits for weight loss.
    Ultimately over the course of a full week I average 1200/day or less.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Just tighten up your logging. Use a food scale for everything you consume. Walmart sells them around 12$. Just weigh your foods , log them accurately.
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Brittbam89 wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I am also on the 12,00 calorie diet. I feel like I maintain it very well and often have 200-300 calories that I'm trying to use up for before bed time. I was recently pregnant and couldn't do this diet, but now I'm back at it again. The first time around it worked very well! I lost 25 pounds in just a few months, but I'd always hit a plato, around 15-20 lbs weight loss, to where I couldn't lose anymore weight.... But I started taking Magnesium supplements (400mg) before bed time and it would really boost my weight loss. I'm talking about waking up and being down half a pound or even a full pound down form the day before.

Magnesium helps to regulate insulin and glucose, so it helps your body process sugars. It really helps with reducing belly fat :).

• titotito48
    How long have you been taking magnesium supplements?
  • titotito48
    And have you noticed fat loss in your stomach? My stomach seems to be the last place I'm losing!