Quinoa

Options
2»

Replies

• jamiewinholtz
    jamiewinholtz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great for a grain salad over greens. I often cut up some red onions, feta, sunflower seeds, and throw in whatever else is around - avocado, olives, roasted red peppers, etc. Great with a bit of Greek dressing served over spinach. Extras protein (salmon is chicken) optional but not necessary - will definitely hold you over!
  • ashika74
    ashika74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make a mushroom and chicken risotto with it... it's fab..
  • cjingles
    cjingles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use two recipes from the same site--one for quinoa egg muffins and one for quinoa chipotle meatballs. So good!!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I just made a quick quinoa recipe yesterday, with random stuff I had on hand, and it turned out quite yummy!

80.00 gram, Organic Premium Quinoa (rinse first, this is pre-rinsed, pre-cooked weight)
    76.00 g(s), Carrots, raw (sliced into thin rounds)
    0.12 tsp(s), Onion Salt (that's about 1/8 tsp, but to taste, or just regular salt)
    14.00 gram, Sundried Tomatoes Julienne Cut Ready to Eat (these are not packed in oil, and they're delicious!)
    8.00 olives, Reduced Salt Large Black Olives (they're the pitted Pearl brand)
    0.12 tsp (2g), Curry Powder (this is also 1/8 tsp, but could double that if you like it! I like McCormick's)

I just made the quinoa according to package directions, plus I added in the carrots, onion salt, curry powder and sundried tomato pieces (which I cut a bit smaller) and let it simmer til everything was done. After removing from heat, I sliced up the olives (14 grams is roughly 8 olives) and tossed those in--this made two servings. :)

AcY28aS.png
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    cjingles wrote: »
    I use two recipes from the same site--one for quinoa egg muffins and one for quinoa chipotle meatballs. So good!!

I love those "meat"balls and sometimes freeze them in portions for quick lunches.
  • JennyBee78
    JennyBee78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and I use quinoa in my cooking quite often. It's very versatile and can be flavored to fit in almost any type of meal.
    I cook red quinoa with forbidden rice together in a rice cooker. When it's done I can season it according to how I'm using it or I add the seasoning to the water or veggie broth with the quinoa and rice.
    I usually use 1 cup red quinoa rinsed with 1 cup forbidden rice and 4 cups of water or broth in my rice cooker. It turns out really well.
    I add taco seasoning if I am using it as a ground beef substitute in tacos, burritos, nachos or enchiladas.
    I add smoke seasoning, ground onion, ground garlic, salt and pepper if I am making burger patties.

The main thing is try experimenting with texture and flavors.
  • fletchsc
    fletchsc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I made a quinoa paella a few weeks ago that was fantastic!

1.00 oz., Roasted Red Pepper
    3.00 piece, Tomatoes, sun-dried, packed in oil, drained
    1.00 large, Onions, raw
    1.00 container (1 4/5 cups ea.), Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (Corrected)
    0.50 cup chopped, Peppers - Orange - Raw
    1.00 tablespoon, Oil - Olive
    16.00 oz, Shrimp
    1.00 link, Chorizo Sausage Link
    3.00 tsp, Chicken Base
    1.50 cup uncooked, Quinoa (Dry)

brown chorizo (out of the casing) in a pan with the onions and peppers, add roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, paprika. Add in the canned tomatoes, quinoa and broth, keep stirring and cooking almost like you would a risotto - adding more broth as needed, once the quinoa is pretty much done add the shrimp and cook until done. I have a paella seasoning mix that I got in spain that I put in this with the paprika, I think it's mostly paprika, smoked paprika and turmeric, this method would be good with other flavors/spices as well. I've also added some boneless skinless chicken thighs to it (that were already cooked) to up the protein a bit. My husband ate this and even went back for seconds - and he generally refuses to even try anything I make with quinoa!

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 314
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 9 g 13 %
    Saturated Fat 2 g 8 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 117 mg 39 %
    Sodium 1028 mg 43 %
    Potassium 188 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 39 g 13 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 3 g
    Protein 20 g 40 %
    Vitamin A 14 %
    Vitamin C 107 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 15 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had quinoa greek salad today. Cook your quinoa, add chopped cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and red onion (I added chicken breast too, but you can leave that out). Sprinkle with some crumbled goat cheese and dress with a mixture made of olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper. SO good!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I make quinoa salad about every 10 days with whatever is in the fridge. It is good for lunch/dinner. My husband likes it, as it makes a change from sandwiches in his lunch bag. This week's was cooked in veggie broth, I added shredded carrot, fresh green peas, chopped green onion, chopped red and orange peppers, chick peas, raisins and vinegrette made from olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. The last one had carmelized red onion, cooked peppers and tomatoes, broccoli and curry spices. I agree you have to rinse it really well. My husband and I both love it (well he doesn't actually get a vote lol), unfortunately the kids won't touch it!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    halips wrote: »
    I had quinoa greek salad today. Cook your quinoa, add chopped cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and red onion (I added chicken breast too, but you can leave that out). Sprinkle with some crumbled goat cheese and dress with a mixture made of olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, lemon zest, salt and pepper. SO good!

This sounds delicious!! I think I'll try that next.