Binge Eater Support!!!

Options

o Do you suffer from Over eating?
o Do you Binge Eat?

o Are you trying to maintain your WEIGHT? Or lose WEIGHT?
• This a support group from People who suffer from this Disease.

Please post when you feel yourself about to lose control & Offer support to other People who need support.

Introduce yourself and let us know what your goals are here.

Replies

• truetoGod
    truetoGod Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I am trying to lose weight but I over eat!
  • msapril87
    msapril87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering from this for years and need help just don't know where to find it.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use to before Sept last year. I quit lost 116 pounds walk 5 miles a day and feel better. I still got around 90 pounds to go. Was 429 pounds now 313. You just got to change your habit eat less and exercise. I don't believe in gimicks like pills. Just find something you like to do while moving and do it. Walking is what I like. Climbing stairs is harder but okay.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I used to be a binge eater, especially at night time, great timing going to bed with a gut full of excessive calories which was usually in the form of carbs, sugar, fat or salt. For me, it all starts in the head and or how I am feeling. Sometimes mindless, just eat for the sake of eating and before ya know it, 1000s of calories have been consumed. Plus there is food addiction which some people think doesnt exist (each to his own) but I felt like an addict. Until I discovered "mindful eating" with meditation, did I finally manage to get rid of my binges. Please everyone feel free to send me PM if you would like to know more.

I am still overweight but losing it 1kg at a time :)
  • Go4Me2
    Go4Me2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    I used to be a binge eater, especially at night time, great timing going to bed with a gut full of excessive calories which was usually in the form of carbs, sugar, fat or salt. For me, it all starts in the head and or how I am feeling. Sometimes mindless, just eat for the sake of eating and before ya know it, 1000s of calories have been consumed. Plus there is food addiction which some people think doesnt exist (each to his own) but I felt like an addict. Until I discovered "mindful eating" with meditation, did I finally manage to get rid of my binges. Please everyone feel free to send me PM if you would like to know more.

I am still overweight but losing it 1kg at a time :)

Same

• sannaf36
    sannaf36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is terrible. I can't get over it for a year now. What's the best way to cope? Anything universal?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Yoga has definitely helped me with emotional overeating:

How Yoga Can Help End Binge Eating

One breath at a time, end the suffering of binge-eating

...According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."

Read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I used to binge eat really bad when I tried decreasing my calorie intake too much (trying to go to 1200 calories from 3000). Now I find that setting small goals works for me. If you average 3000 calories now don't goto 1200, try 2000 or even 2500 instead.
  • mandski1
    mandski1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went out with a friend to eat and of course over are. I feel like there is concrete in my stomachs and I can't move. It's literally painful. I don't know why I always forget about this feeling every time before I do this
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I was such a bad binge eater, I gained weight on the whole30 (apparently, it's unheard of to gain weight on this). CICO is the only thing that worked for me for months. This last weekend I went to a funeral and my BED was triggered (My phone died right before I left and I had no way to log everything and I think that was what really triggered it). I remember feeling so grossly full but still eating chips and salsa. But now I'm back at my regular life and back on the deficit and feeling fine.
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @vadimknobel I concur.
    When I would binge.. I would binge only in the evening... And would consume until I physically could not take any more food into my body.
    In addition to feeling completely devastated for several days afterwards I would try and diet out... which only compounded the issues.
    Mentally I found it a completely abhorrent thought... Actually I need to increase my nutrition to stem the binging.
    But that's what worked for me... Very possibly not what people who are going through this want to hear but I'm just sharing my experience.
    Two things I found had a profound effect were sleep and water... If my sleep was impaired... Went to bed late... I had to wake up earlier than normal then my propensity to binge would increase... Equally if I did not force myself to drink a significant amount of water... Again it seemed to relate to raiding the fridge and consuming food equal to a small army.

Some things that i found help:

1. Eat stuff i dont really like... (if i do it just kicks me off)
    2. Don't do cheat/treat day's...(I'm not a dog and if i do its just a trigger)
    3. Force myself to drink more water always (seems to work for me)
    4. Sleep if im in doubt (if i sleep i tend to have much more resolve)
    5. Do not under eat (if your in the place i was you defo would not wat to read this..." i know")
  • dangerouscurvs
    dangerouscurvs Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    OMG... I've been looking for a group like this for a while...I was just afraid to click on the food thread.... stupid I know. But I am so bad about letting my feelings bottle up until I have to shove them down with food....and I eat until I am numb! I also do this at night, especially because I am usually alone. I don't like to eat in front of people... I feel like they are judging me. It's weird because I feel so huge, yet invisible at the same time. Like people don't look directly at me, probably because my appearance makes them uncomfortable, but I really get paranoid that they are talking about me, behind my back. So I eat very little in the company of others...and then later when I'm alone, I eat either because I'm bored or I'm upset about the way somebody looked at me that day. I know I shouldn't care...but I can't help it. Or it may be because I caught a disgusting glimpse of myself in the mirror and I just hate myself. I know that food is the reason I am this way...yet I turn to it!! It doesn't make sense! For years my life has been a vicious cycle of hate, binge, guilt, repeat!!! Ugh I hate the feeling of throwing up, but sometimes when I get so stuffed I feel like its the only way I can "fix" what I've just done...but I just can't force myself to do it!! I would love to get some support from people who understand where I'm coming from!! I'd return the favor of course!
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The first step is to Start working out consistently EVERYDAY!
    That will help you if you happen to binge, because you will have more calories to play around with.
    Working out has helped me so much.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    @vadimknobel I concur.
    When I would binge.. I would binge only in the evening... And would consume until I physically could not take any more food into my body.
    In addition to feeling completely devastated for several days afterwards I would try and diet out... which only compounded the issues.
    Mentally I found it a completely abhorrent thought... Actually I need to increase my nutrition to stem the binging.
    But that's what worked for me... Very possibly not what people who are going through this want to hear but I'm just sharing my experience.
    Two things I found had a profound effect were sleep and water... If my sleep was impaired... Went to bed late... I had to wake up earlier than normal then my propensity to binge would increase... Equally if I did not force myself to drink a significant amount of water... Again it seemed to relate to raiding the fridge and consuming food equal to a small army.

Some things that i found help:

1. Eat stuff i dont really like... (if i do it just kicks me off)
    2. Don't do cheat/treat day's...(I'm not a dog and if i do its just a trigger)
    3. Force myself to drink more water always (seems to work for me)
    4. Sleep if im in doubt (if i sleep i tend to have much more resolve)
    5. Do not under eat (if your in the place i was you defo would not wat to read this..." i know")

THIS^^^^^
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    That will help you if you happen to binge, because you will have more calories to play around with.

While I do appreciate and need the extra calories from exercise, its bigger benefit to me is that if I am getting happy chemicals from exercise I won't be seeking them from food.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Hunger is what triggered my binging. Drugs is what helped me. Phentermine/Topiramate suppressed appetite long enough for me to see results and build up sufficient willpower to carry on without it.
  • mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Overeaters Anonymous (OA) is a real thing. Google OA groups in your area and I'm sure you'll find a couple. They have meetings in-person, telephonically, and some times online. Talk therapy (with a counselor or therapist) is also helpful. I also find exercise helps manage anxiety and stress. AND helps to burn some the extra calories if I overeat. Try not to restrict calories. I've eaten at maintenance for a while to help establish habits. That helped too.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I think a group like this is a great idea but I don't think advice like this is helpful. In fact it's a good way to exacerbate the problem.
    I was bulimic in my 20's and started binging in my 30's.
    Eating disorders are about everything but food, the food is simply a symptom. Recovery can only begin when you address the underlying issues that are at the root of the condition.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm not a binge eater but I hope this information is helpful:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Body_image_issues_for_men?OpenDocument

Improving Body Image for Men:
    • Reflect on your experiences and try to identify the influences on your body image from childhood.
    • Try weighing or ‘body-checking’ (pinching, measuring, mirror-checking) yourself less often. Focus on health and vitality, not weight, size and shape.
    • Make a pact with yourself to treat your body with respect, which includes eating well and not embarking on punishing exercise routines, or taking drugs.
    • Try to shift to a healthier focus of how your body functions and consider all it helps you do in life, rather than just focusing on how it looks.
    • Get informed by reading up on body image issues.
    • Develop reasons for exercising (such as stress release, vitality or improved concentration), rather than concentrating only on changing your body shape.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Body_image_issues_for_women?OpenDocument

Improving Body Image for Women:
    • Reflect on your experiences and try to unravel the development of your body image from childhood.
    • Talk about feelings and experiences with other women who have similar concerns.
    • Make a pact with yourself to treat your body with respect, which includes giving it enough food and rest.
    • Give yourself a break from women’s magazines and the mass media for a while.
    • Try some form of physical activity purely for the fun of it, not as a means of weight loss.
    • Stop weighing yourself.
    • Change your goal from weight loss to improving your health.
    • Get informed by reading up on body image issues.
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was such a bad binge eater, I gained weight on the whole30 (apparently, it's unheard of to gain weight on this). CICO is the only thing that worked for me for months. This last weekend I went to a funeral and my BED was triggered (My phone died right before I left and I had no way to log everything and I think that was what really triggered it). I remember feeling so grossly full but still eating chips and salsa. But now I'm back at my regular life and back on the deficit and feeling fine.

I also gained weight on the whole 30, probably for the same reason. CICO and constant logging is the only thing that works for me too.